servicing

Stua76

Hi Guys,

Had my Rukus turned Scion XB for over a year now. Anyone else wonder why we are having 6 month service intervals.

Most cars these days are 12 month Service intervals?

Also how often are you checking the oil and topping up etc?

I check my oil / water levels monthly the 2azfe does go through a bit of oil I've been told still yet to have any issues ( just hit 60k ). I guess your past your capped servicing now so you don't really need to head to Toyota for the servicing just make sure you get the book stamped for future if you decide to ever sell the box

Hi Guys,

Had my Rukus turned Scion XB for over a year now. Anyone else wonder why we are having 6 month service intervals.

Most cars these days are 12 month Service intervals?

Also how often are you checking the oil and topping up etc?

It is quite interesting when some European cars are every 12months or 10-15,000 km's but oh well it's cheap on parts in any case

I check my oil / water levels monthly the 2azfe does go through a bit of oil I've been told still yet to have any issues ( just hit 60k ). I guess your past your capped servicing now so you don't really need to head to Toyota for the servicing just make sure you get the book stamped for future if you decide to ever sell the box

Another Question. What Oil are you guys using that are self servicing / Elsewhere ?

• 4 weeks later...

Another Question. What Oil are you guys using that are self servicing / Elsewhere ?

I know my mechanic does use genuine toyota motor oil but purely from a warranty perspective I don't know what other oil you could use but I wouldn't think the engine would be super picky so long as it's the same rating and fully synthetic would be better :)

On second thought see if you can get your hands on royal purple, had a few friends that ran it and felt it was worth the extra outlay.

Edited by Crypt
  • Like 1

I know my mechanic does use genuine toyota motor oil but purely from a warranty perspective I don't know what other oil you could use but I wouldn't think the engine would be super picky so long as it's the same rating and fully synthetic would be better :)

On second thought see if you can get your hands on royal purple, had a few friends that ran it and felt it was worth the extra outlay.

Yes was thinking Liqui Moly or Royal Purple. Guys in US seem to rave about it.

9 times out of 10, people who claim to be getting magic results from Royal Purple are suffering from the placebo effect - "I just spent $150 on an oil change, I must be getting awesome results", despite a $20 bottle of Penrite probably giving the same results. Unless you're running a finely tuned race engine that you regularly tear down and inspect/rebuild, and/or doing used-oil analysis after every oil change, you have no way of really "proving" that one oil is better than another.

The Ruckus has the same 2.4L engine as a Camry, it's not a Ferrari. Good quality name-brand oil that matches the manufacturer's recommended viscosity will be more than sufficient, spending 3-4 times that on RP for maybe 1-2% gain (if anything) is folly (and certainly not worth the outlay)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

9 times out of 10, people who claim to be getting magic results from Royal Purple are suffering from the placebo effect - "I just spent $150 on an oil change, I must be getting awesome results", despite a $20 bottle of Penrite probably giving the same results. Unless you're running a finely tuned race engine that you regularly tear down and inspect/rebuild, and/or doing used-oil analysis after every oil change, you have no way of really "proving" that one oil is better than another.

The Ruckus has the same 2.4L engine as a Camry, it's not a Ferrari. Good quality name-brand oil that matches the manufacturer's recommended viscosity will be more than sufficient, spending 3-4 times that on RP for maybe 1-2% gain (if anything) is folly (and certainly not worth the outlay)

Completely agree, on a stock motor there would be little to no difference, I'm assuming what they felt was probably just the fact the car had a good service (who's car doesn't feel a little better after a service). While there probably wouldn't be a noticeble powergain I wonder if there would be a difference in it's longevity, I'm sure it would advantageous to use a better quality oil for the life of your car rather than HomeBrand but then again not my area of expertise and would love to be educated :)