New Model Kluger 2014

DDC73

Hi ,

Checking the Toyota website today i see that they are now offically advertising the new look Kluger.The models are now known as GX , GXL and Grande (in either 2wd or 4wd versions).One thing that did catch my attention is they no longer have the captain styled chairs for the middle row , its now just simply 60/40 and no removeable centre console/seat.I love the captain style chairs and think it was a great feature .

Dan :)

Edited by DDC73

Yeah I just saw the ad for it. Um not sure if I like it? The rear end looks like a Tarago tailgate, the front end looks closer to a Mazda 6 and it just looks "American".

To say the least, I prefer my Kluger. I'm assuming the car is now being made in the US, so from past experience even with stringent quality control, the yanks can't build quality for ****! Unfortunately Australia missed out on producing it.

Yay to the 6-speed auto, Boo to no diesel engine - Toyota might be worried about how a diesel engined Kluger might affect Prado sales? I would buy one tomorrow if diesel was offered.

Yay to the 6-speed auto, Boo to no diesel engine - Toyota might be worried about how a diesel engined Kluger might affect Prado sales? I would buy one tomorrow if diesel was offered.

Kluger is now US-sourced, and the Yanks aren't that big on diesels in anything smaller than a Dodge Ram (hell, I don't even think the US Hilux/Tacoma has a diesel option)

Kluger is now US-sourced, and the Yanks aren't that big on diesels in anything smaller than a Dodge Ram (hell, I don't even think the US Hilux/Tacoma has a diesel option)

guess that also explains why the Ravhas diesel as an option but not the Kluger

Edited by holmesie

Despite the lack of a diesel engine, the Highlander (And it's first gen. only Japanese-spec twin, the KlugerL/V/Hybrid.) were popular as grey imports in Russia that Toyota decided to introduce the second gen. model through official Eastern European dealers in 2011. Yeah, they could have made a diesel option available (Which would also have made the option of a diesel available in AU/ NZ), but seeing that the car was sold officially in some parts of Eastern Europe (Mainly Russia, Ukraine & Kazakhstan.), the market would still have been too small to justify engineering a suitable diesel engine for it.

RE the captain's chairs from the first post - they are still there. Just look at the video on the seating arrangements and they are still there.

I just watched the clip from the site , it only shows a 60/40 for the middle row , and on the 60 it has one large storage bin that folds down to rest arms on.The "captains chairs" from the prevoius model havent been carried over the same way :).

Note sure if you have seen the clip which is solely on Kluger seating. It pops up as a series of different thumbnails after the main video. It starts with a girl putting her surfboard in at the beach. In the voice over and video they actually mention captain's chairs and show the centre bit sliding out of the centre console just like it does now.

Maybe its just a Grande 'thing' as I agree other videos look to show a 60:40. But then again they say Kluger this, Kluger that and in some other cases they say Grande (auto boot down).

The clip you mentioned , ive seen that one too .Its actually the clip from the previous model that Toyota hasnt removed from the web site for some reason.When you see the outside and the dash , its the previous model :)

My impressions of the new Kluger.

Firstly we have had our KXR 7 seat 2wd for almost 7 years, have driven 140,000 mainly on outback trips, so my wife and I are looking for a similar comfortable ride, with plenty of storage for our camping gear and front seats that lay down flat for that sleep when its too late or too awkward to set up the tent. We never carry either of the middle seat consoles in order to reduce weight and to increase storage.

We have been hanging out with much anticipation for the new model to arrive ever since reading the US reviews last year, with the promise of various seating arrangements better fuel economy etc.

So we went and checked the base model out at our dealer last week and here is what we found, starting with the things we liked:

The LED running lights and better headlights.

6 speed auto; ideal for outback driving.

The larger camera screen.

The USB connector to the sound system and cord hole for the Ipod/phone.

The 12v outlets in the centre console and near the rear aircon controls.

The split 3rd row seat.

The larger boot space.

The rear parking sensor

The same height, so can still fit under our (very low) garage opening.

And what we didn't like:

Fog lights instead of decent driving (spot) lights.

The shelf running along beneath the dash board cutting down the size of the glove box .

The loss of our "boot cupboard" in the centre console between the seats accessible from the second row, replaced instead by a fiddly to open and use centre console that is nowhere as big or useful.

The loss of the little nooks either side of the centre console to store tissues, mints etc and the small covered nook behind the gear stick with a handy flat lid (cup holder for some people).

The front seats only recline to about 60 degrees, so one could liken them to economy class seats compared to the fully reclining "flat bed" business class seats on the KXR.

The 3/2 split of the middle seat is more comfortable but being unable to remove that little centre seat, we lose out on a lot of storage, as well as carrying extra weight.

No choice but black interior.

The floor space behind the second row has disappeared so nowhere to stow things like tent fly and poles.

The loss of the storage box where the jack used to sit so nowhere to put extra tools there, although the long bin is a little better arranged.

The reduction in size of the opposite side box so nowhere to stow our emergency startup battery/pump/light unit.

The loss of the opening rear window.

Now many readers here will say we are being very picky and only looking at quite specific and personal requirements and I have to agree. However the very things that have disappeared or been changed, are what made us go for the Kluger KXR in the first place, and so there is nothing in the 3rd gen model that will make us want to trade up.

So, we didn't bother taking it for a drive and have decided to stick with good ol' Klaus until something better arrives.

It's most definitely about, my new one will be here next week. Only a few have arrived however, my indecision over the course of one day lost me the last cosmos blue model available so now it's sky silver. I was told next arrivals could be 5 weeks or more.

Hey All.

We have just ordered our 4x2 Grande in Dynamic Blue.

Due to the very sharp pricing our dealer gave us, we have to wait around 3 months for our delivery. A while but worth it. (i hope).

My only real disapointment with the AU spec Klugers is that we dont have the opportunity to have the panoramic sunroof in the vehicle. We are stuck with the blu-ray/small sunroof combo.

I would have liked the captains chair options in the second row, like the last model, but the wife prefers the console storage for her seemlingly giant handbag. Cant win them all i guess.

Hey All.

We have just ordered our 4x2 Grande in Dynamic Blue.

Due to the very sharp pricing our dealer gave us, we have to wait around 3 months for our delivery. A while but worth it. (i hope).

My only real disapointment with the AU spec Klugers is that we dont have the opportunity to have the panoramic sunroof in the vehicle. We are stuck with the blu-ray/small sunroof combo.

I would have liked the captains chair options in the second row, like the last model, but the wife prefers the console storage for her seemlingly giant handbag. Cant win them all i guess.

So what equals sharp pricing. Maybe there should be a new thread with prices being posted - lease values v outright purchase.

What's the 'very sharp' pricing you refer to?

Edited by 2011 KX-S Cosmos Blue

What's the 'very sharp' pricing you refer to?

We were able to secure the car at $62700 drive away (private sale). I didn't come across any other dealer being prepared to go that low.

Edited by Phillo

I must admit that at first, I didn't like the new shape, but now i am starting to like it.

One disappointing thing for me is the lack of features, that the US have, but we don't get here. I watched a review on YouTube and the top of the line version, the "Limited" with the "Platinum pack", had captains chairs in the 2nd row and a Panoramic sunroof. A real shame we are excluded from these options.

Edited by Klugeraus

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

we had a look at these. Loved it but couple of down sides and therefore decided to choose alternative.

main issue: Made in USA. with our previous car being made in USA the quality was terrible and haphazard.

Lower specs the rear window does not open, only on top model

Price way too high compared to old model

Picked up my 2014 Grande AWD on Monday, Upgrade from 2012 Grande AWD. I know this is a polarizing vehicle with the styling but I ordered anyway I have been please with my last Kluger and got a good trade. You pay a premium over say the pathfinder or territory but worth it IMO>

The Bad

Already got a headlight system fault

reverse Camera does not engage with the fault.

With hard acceleration in wet you get initial wheel spin and wander until everything kicks in - Miniscule but its there.

The Good

Improved drive -Quieter, less wander under normal driving

No Steering Knock

Feels better quality

Lots of little unexpected features - Toyota link, lane wander BSM, colour dash with pop up menus inbetween the dials.

The whole driver interaction and bluetooth applications are a lot better better nav -touch / scroll screen

I am pleased.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at buying a Grande AWD too. Disappointed that they didn't include the A/V Input Port (below the climate controls in the second row) for the Rear Seat Entertainment, which is available on the US model. They should also provide a HDMI input too, not just composite (yellow, red, white).

For the price, you would have thought that they could have included more features. Eg. rain sensing wipers, auto tilt of passenger mirror when reverse is engaged, auto folding mirrors, front parking sensors. Australians pay 50% more than US. I think Toyota forgot to remove the 5% import tax now that that Kluger is imported from the US and not Japan.

This is just my personal opinion.

We just ordered our new Kluger today! We are getting the base model with Towbar, sidesteps, and a few other things added. It will be 2WD. We went with silver over cosmos blue, which I was leaning toward anyway, but then the dealer already had one on order, whereas the blue would have been a new order. As it is, the one already in order is unlikely to be here before the end of August, possibly even the start of September. I hope it will be worth the wait!

• 1 month later...

One question I would like answered is have they fixed the security of the spare (refer other posts)

We looked at the new GXL yesterday and queried the salesman on this point (we had ours stolen recently on the CVX). He happily explained that it was a simple fix, all you had to do was take the winding socket...etc

In short no, it looks like the same issue is still present.