Greetings from up over - Modding Tips

Hey guys,

Greetings from Barbados in the Caribbean. I've got a 2002 Runx Z that I've bought in august for my birthday, haha, nice present aint it!

I came across this site and am very impressed by the cars, and more importantly the attitudes of the ppl here. Its good to see enthusiasts worldwide.

I was lucky as my car was an import from Japan and came with a few mods. Well bonus time is here and I've decided to modd the car abit more with the money.

My car came with TRD strut and springs, aftermarket flywheel, drop-in TRD air filter, TRD Exhaust and C-one front strut bar, C-one Body kit. Fantastic "get in and drive" purchase.

I've been thinking of a CAI by AEM and some light weight 16s as the obvious upgrade, but we in the caribbean get alot of torential downpours sometimes and flooding does happen. With AEM, there is an optional bypass valve but i still dont trust it. ShortRam came to mind, but that to me is self defeating because of the "rawness" of the filter location.

I was also considering an aluminum pulley and a strut bar for the rear. But should i get a rear strut bar or rear sway bars?? ;)

Finally, ;) tyre size is an issue. I'd like to run 215s, but my friend tells me that it will rub on the shock cup. Any one getting problems running 215s??

Thanks for your time and appreciate the responses =)

Pr.

Ps.

My car was featured on a school mate's monline magazine, check it out for pics...

http://www.zhaust.com/features/0905/runx/index.html

Hey guys,

Greetings from Barbados in the Caribbean. I've got a 2002 Runx Z that I've bought in august for my birthday, haha, nice present aint it!

I came across this site and am very impressed by the cars, and more importantly the attitudes of the ppl here. Its good to see enthusiasts worldwide.

I was lucky as my car was an import from Japan and came with a few mods. Well bonus time is here and I've decided to modd the car abit more with the money.

My car came with TRD strut and springs, aftermarket flywheel, drop-in TRD air filter, TRD Exhaust and C-one front strut bar, C-one Body kit. Fantastic "get in and drive" purchase.

I've been thinking of a CAI by AEM and some light weight 16s as the obvious upgrade, but we in the caribbean get alot of torential downpours sometimes and flooding does happen. With AEM, there is an optional bypass valve but i still dont trust it. ShortRam came to mind, but that to me is self defeating because of the "rawness" of the filter location.

I was also considering an aluminum pulley and a strut bar for the rear. But should i get a rear strut bar or rear sway bars??  ;)

Finally, ;) tyre size is an issue. I'd like to run 215s, but my friend tells me that it will rub on the shock cup. Any one getting problems running 215s??

Thanks for your time and appreciate the responses =)

Pr.

Ps.

My car was featured on a school mate's monline magazine, check it out for pics...

http://www.zhaust.com/features/0905/runx/index.html

How low are the TRD springs from stock? that wil give an indication of rubbing .. also what width rims and offset are you going to use??

If u lowered you can always dial in some camber with some camber bolts as it will splay out ur tires a bit .. and apparantly ive heard having about neg 1 degree camber when uve lowered ur car actually helps with even wear on ur tires.

With the CAI .. you could make you own design and cut a vent in ur bonnet and duct it to that. (just an idea)

Also - did those rims come stock on ur Runx ?? they look like the steel wheels with plastic hubcaps u get on the base model ascents here ... hehee definitely get rims .. id be going 17s in lightweight but thats personal choice.

Go with a rear sway bar, TRD rear strut brace, and a CAI.

TRD are the only ones who make a rear strut brace for the corolla. As for the sway bar and CAI take your pick from multiple suppliers. :D

Go with a rear sway bar, TRD rear strut brace, and a CAI.

TRD are the only ones who make a rear strut brace for the corolla. As for the sway bar and CAI take your pick from multiple suppliers. :D

I was gonna get the sway and rear strut from C-one. I like their porduct offering and wanted to be alittle "different" to the usual TRD mods.

I was tempted to buy their ECU replacement for the ZZE123 but its like 2400USD. i saw on the site someone tweaking the Apexi Power FC for our application, but I'd prefer that to the C-one ECU, especially at half the price.

We've got bad drainage here so the CAI really is of a serious concern, but i'm insanely jealous of that ROAR when those Zs pull into the gas station late at night.

Ok, so it looks like CAI, 215/16/45 on some 13.6lbs 16s, rear sway and rear strut and some trinkets like trd thermostat and caps.

i am tempted to follow the throttle body modification as recommended on site. What the real benefit to that mod?

We've got one RunX Z here that is killing the EK9 type Rs and giving the K20A power plants a run for their money. Thats running on VP racing fuel, and no back seats or spares.

My key is increasing my power to weight ratio [however slight] and looking to extract as many ponies at the wheel as I can. But on a island dominated by SEVERELY modded 20valves, many of them turbo charged, one shift out of lift, and life is pretty much over...

According to this clubman builder tuning shop, 2zz responded very well with bigger throttle body. Its basically allowing more volume of air in, so u bet, more power. I would think that you will need something in the level of Power FC. C-One ECU is also a nice addition, whatever you get, get one that can control the VVT and Lift.

However, in my opinion, to go quicker and a good base modfication for latter modification project, is the ultra-short ratio available from C-One and KAAZ, Flywheel, heavy duty clutch and LSD. Engine wise, its pulling a nice 190hp already, just need proper ratio to make the most out of it.

Your topspeed is only 180km/hr??

Nah, car tops out at about 187 at 7900rpm in 4th :rolleyes: hehehe, then fuel cut syndrome kick in. its got alot of go, but I'm inclined to a wee more power. The CAI and fresh rubber should be fantastic the first few days.

According to this clubman builder tuning shop, 2zz responded very well with bigger throttle body. Its basically allowing more volume of air in, so u bet, more power.

I meant the throttle bodycoolant bypass as seen at http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=3997 Wondered what benefit it provided or if it was moreof an efficiency mod.

im not too surebut you know what

the guys back in South Africa were using them on there 2lt opel (holden)motors! increased power by 10kw with the right tuning!

but more air requires more fuel

whats the size of the corolla's stock throttle body?? how much would u bore it out by?

1zz is 55mm. 60mm is a good size. make sure u get a larger butterfly valve to go with it.

can't remember 2zz

Edited by shaohaok

whats the size of the corolla's stock throttle body?? how much would u bore it out by?

1zz is 55mm. 60mm is a good size. make sure u get a larger butterfly valve to go with it.

can't remember 2zz

i remember people with CE lancers use to bore theirs out to 54mm ... so 55mm standard is pretty decent already i guess? 60mm is what ive heard as well ..

Anyone know what a quadbody throttle body is and what it does?

Cheers

can't remember 2zz

i remember people with CE lancers use to bore theirs out to 54mm ... so 55mm standard is pretty decent already i guess? 60mm is what ive heard as well ..

Anyone know what a quadbody throttle body is and what it does?

Cheers

every engine is different u can't really compare it that way.

individual throttle bodies. u have one TB feeding each cylinder that u have, instead of one tb feeding a plenum chamber, feeding intake runners, feeding cylinders.