Custom Parcel Shelf

Hey everyone,

just wondering if any one here has made parcel shelves before and if any one has any tips to share?

eg. MDF thickness, places for car carpet, mounting, mounting amps to it?

Reason I ask is I'm planning on making a custom parcel shelf (that looks kind of like the stock one) to mount my amp too for my car (too many careless passengers to mount under the seat) mostly because the stock one is too fragile to mount a heavy amp to safely...

Cheers for any answers / help / non toyota guides provided :)

Hey everyone,

just wondering if any one here has made parcel shelves before and if any one has any tips to share?

eg. MDF thickness, places for car carpet, mounting, mounting amps to it?

Reason I ask is I'm planning on making a custom parcel shelf (that looks kind of like the stock one) to mount my amp too for my car (too many careless passengers to mount under the seat) mostly because the stock one is too fragile to mount a heavy amp to safely...

Cheers for any answers / help / non toyota guides provided :)

u have a parcel shelf?!?!?!?

man i got wroughted!! i onyl have fabric that clicks onto the rear passenger seats ..

id use 8mm MDF max about 12mm and design it in two sections with a hinge so u can fold it up.

made a few parcel shelfs in my time, and put the amp underneath, i find it better because you can hide the amp, no one has to know its there!

first time i used this wood my dad gave me called marine ply, probably 10/12mm thick but very strong, have used MDF as well which is fine just be careful when u cut it cos the dust is not good for you. stick to around 12mm but make sure the speaker screws arent to big! measure it with the existing parcelshelf, or make a template out of cardboard, either work. buy some carpet from a proper car upholstry shop, dont be tempted by the stuff they sell at bunnings, trust me they told me it should easily survive in sun, it lasted about 3 weeks before it started disintergrating! to stick the carpet to the wood there is this glue stuff i cant remember its name but its at bunnings or similar, the people there should be able to help you out, and just secure the carpet with a couple of nails around the outside.

oh yeah remember to cut your speaker holes first! apart from that its all pretty easy, and looks really good if u pick a nice colour of carpet! and ques just ask!

• 3 weeks later...

I've kind of given up on the idea of custom parcel shelf...

I'm working on a fake floor instead.

The way I figure with a fake floor I can hide the amp / wires etc the only thing that will be sitting in the boot space itself will be the sub.

Also have an idea to put a car computer in the fake floor as well - so I'll update when I get off my butt and get it happening :)

u have a parcel shelf?!?!?!?

man i got wroughted!! i onyl have fabric that clicks onto the rear passenger seats ..

But isn't the other end of that fabric attached to the parcel shelf? :huh:

Edited by Buddha

yeh but it wouldnt be too difficult to design a new chelf and attach those annoying bits of carpet to it as well, or even just the hooks if u still want in to connect to the seats

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You only use 8mm thick mdf for a sub box?

Hmm, ok then... :blink:

No way I could be ****d designing a parcel shelf for it, i've done the fake floor thing as well.

Don't vinyl it though. Gets damaged too quickly.

When I get off my **** (again anyway) i'll be bogging it all up and 2pac'ing it. Nice and shiny. :)