Toyota Tarago 2000-2001 No keyless entry remote?

PaNoRaMa

Hi Guys

Recently I bought a Tarago Sep/2000 new shape, previous owner only gave me 2 keys, one main key and the other is a spare key, they are just a standard keys without remote.

My questions is can I add a remote to it and program it so I can have a keyless entry?

if not then what are my other options? Do you think buying a new (Toyota second hand) ignition (with remote key) and a computer would fix the problem?

Thanks guys

What does the current key look like? Australian Toyotas of that vintage started to have the immobiliser transponder in the key itself, so the remote is simply to lock/unlock the doors - this makes it easy to buy either a genuine spare remote or an aftermarket one and re-program it to work with your central locking unit (much easier than trying to re-program a new immobiliser like the older remotes had to do)

Did this the other week with my wife's daily '99 Camry, bought a genuine Toyota remote on eBay and took all of 10 seconds to link it to the car (instructions are usually provided but it's generally something as simple as turning the key on/off a couple of times to enter programming mode, then hitting the button on the remote to link them).

Most of the keys I can find online for the ACR30 seem to show the remote buttons built into the key fob itself rather than a seperate controller, the one you posted above just looks like a standard non-remote key (the immobiliser transponder will be inside the black casing).

Might help to go to a dealership and find out what the keys and remote (if separate) should look like - it might be a case of then getting a new key w/ buttons in the fob off eBay, swap the transducer over and get it cut to your locks (if the blade can't be swapped over as well).

Try and avoid buying a whole new unit/immobiliser etc from the dealership as they'll charge you 2 arms, 3 legs and several new-borns for it.