NOOBs Guide to MOD

RME1

The simota which started as a nice cheap alternative ($180) has now shot up to around $300+...

guess we bought too many of them..

RME1 id be happy to source an Injen from america for you.. they are around $360.. can help you fit it no worries as well...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The simota which started as a nice cheap alternative ($180) has now shot up to around $300+...

guess we bought too many of them..

RME1 id be happy to source an Injen from america for you.. they are around $360.. can help you fit it no worries as well...

SWEET! Thanks Motoman! :D ...but we'll have to wait till next month :( ...money $_$ only 600 to survive this whole month... i rang up the simota dudes, got quoted $195!!! :) but there isn't any orders coming through atm, so teh dude acn't really say when the next batch is coming in :angry:

Have u checked out that "On the run" link, Kelvin has that setup. What do u think? True CAI- all the way down bottom?

Hey IZZE, i've been thinking about the foggies, but i reckno i'm going to have a stciky beak at autobahn in doncaster and see what the techi can do with the lights and stuff - apparently he is a guru lol, maybe he can adapt the 2005 stance of the little fog lights cut in the fog light protector

:rolleyes: it's funny how PROJECT ELCHEAPO just keeps getting larger and larger - should change the title of this thread to "Guide for the keen noobie" :lol:

79odd KW ATW too :) -with only Remus and no air box i think

Airbox is definetely there :D, only the snorkle is removed. From what we've seen on Danz, MAP81's,Northy's and Pippy's 1zz's they seem to respond well with CAI's so with one installed you should push over 80kw ATW.

Another CAI to look at is the Simota like that fitted to MAP81's, It's 2 1/2" instead of 3" but cheaper than the regular Injen/TRD/AEM. Seems to be well constructed and available nearby from:

Australian Auto

Accessories

17 Moncrief Road,

Nunawading. 3131.

Phone: (03) 9845 0800

Fax: (03) 9877 5263

www.simota.com.au

Cheers.

i tried sourcing a CAI from them last year.. all i got was; "no stock, no stock, TBA" then eventually "we dont supply Simota kits anymore

If someone in Melb can get one for me let me know!!

i tried sourcing a CAI from them last year.. all i got was; "no stock, no stock, TBA" then eventually "we dont supply Simota kits anymore

If someone in Melb can get one for me let me know!!

Stay tuned, i'll keep nagging ;)

Kelvin was RIGHT :D there IS very little body roll! It's day one, after the install and the steering wheel feels very sure of itself, unlike the light weight of the stock. I just need a bucket seat to support my frame in the corners - IF only the conquest's supports were a little bit larger!

SO Noobies and interested fellow rolla girls/boys or young ladies/men or rice girls/boys , here is a review of things so fair (maybe this can be a sticky for Noobies, what u think Northy and PK and Silva Bullet and the rest of u fellas? :huh: )

*cough* Best impersonation of voice over man... "Previously, on PROJECT EL CHEAPO:"

what started it all - i saw Northy's car :blink: ...had to wipe drool away

Eyelids and Grill @ 145

It seemed to be the first thing that came to mind, after shopping around, Cyber Century on Chinese New Year's Day, bargained to 145, cuase fellow azn 'uncle' David was being generous. Later negotiated a nice group buy at $120 for set of eyes and grill :) , it pays to keep up business relations - i reckon you could get him down to 130 and not even try :o - Don't DIY, next cruise i'll show u why

Lights @ $65

TangClan will hook u up with nice BJ Union lights, he's a champion, even installed them for me - for i'm still a Noobie at electrics...probably still gonna be

MAP81s Sportivo Exhaust (off Levin) @ $130

Not to sound too excited...but IT"S TOTALLY ORSM!! :rolleyes: And yes, Northy is right, it's louder and better sounding than most cannons out there - HIGHLY recommended - awesome backfiring action straight after install, great when reverse parking in the driveway hehehe... 'I'm HOME!!!' :P she still back fires a little when reversing - scares teh next door neighbours dog! :angry: that dog pees on my roses and hedges, i hate that dog :ph34r: *i secretly wanna accidently run it over - is that too cruel?*

Lovells Sport Low Suspension @ $350 installed

:D i feel like TAkumi in Initial D when he first drives the rebuild of his 86! I reckon the very first thing i should of done was to lower it :rolleyes: That right hand rotor is starting to annoy me...it CAN'T be the pads, cause they're new <_< *sigh* looks like i might need to fork out something extra for the service?

Under 'hard' acceleration, as well as hard cornering - although 'hard' cornering and 'hard' acceleration is a tad difficult in peak hour traffic :lol: , the handling feels 'perfectly' weighted B) - Lovells seem to be a sure winner - Thanks Kelvin and Northy for ur great inputs!

Question -

a) has anyone ever sprayed the stock 'rolla alloys (not stivo, cuase i've already used the 'search' button :D ) i'm thinking black? And what would it look like if u did?cuase i saw a celica on dyno day, the blue one, and i seem to be a little inspired :) ...maybe i should guinea pig PROJECT ELCHEAPO?

Sharing the joy that bring rolla ppls together,

RME1 - Jules (i should of been a motoring journalist :P )

Edited by RME1

Question -

a) has anyone ever sprayed the stock 'rolla alloys (not stivo, cuase i've already used the 'search' button :D ) i'm thinking black? And what would it look like if u did?cuase i saw a celica on dyno day, the blue one, and i seem to be a little inspired :) ...maybe i should guinea pig PROJECT ELCHEAPO?

From memory, BigBum had painted his white before he got his G-Max wheels.

From memory, BigBum had painted his white before he got his G-Max wheels.

doesn't Big BUm have a sportivo ? ...i'm talking about OUR stock conquest/levin/accent bum rims? :unsure: Is bill active on forums thesedays? ...i wanna ask him about the DBA rotors ...i got quoted $170 each. ...is that too much?

Edited by RME1

• 1 month later...

GOT VVTI? NEED LIFT? GET CAI!

Got my Spectra Cai installed today at ON THE RUN MOTORSPORTS on station street in boxhill - awesome customer service. Whilst installing the CAI, johnny, the friendly technician, notice a box of nothing ness located just in front of the front left wheel arch - it looked like a washer fluid box, but it wasn't connected to anything?

anyhow, check out my garage for the details!! <-_-> CAI's are great - yes there is a little loss of torque, but it is well and truly made up with the noise and response ...i think it revs quicker :) - she goes ALL the way up to 6k with little or no effort... and the INDUCTION NOISE....OMG!! *_* i wonder if this is going to make me more 'economical'

Mind you, i'm still hanging around for someone to list their stivo zorst on the market - on the waiting list for some ppls - but maybe that wil reduce the loss of torque from the CAI? ...it will be interesting to see the dyno figures - cause only two ppls (me and Kelvin) are running Spectra CAI's ...so vs TRD/AEM/CES X_X ...(stopped before gettting flamed) ... O:)

A MUST mod for VVTI'ers !!!

next time on PROJECT EL CHEAPO....

-spark plugs ... recommendations anyone?

-stivo bodykit....i'm patient mr X (u know who u are!!!)

-stivo rims....I've been hanging around since the dawn of time :( just need to have the right money at the right time

-slotted rotors? >.< After seeing Bill's setup....#_#

-upgrade to TRD styles CAI....Spectra is only temporary @ $280, unfortunately it was made up out of several pieces (5) i think), but it was worth it

check out the garage! Happy Easter, safe driving!

Edited by RME1

Stivo bodykit installed!!! @$350!!! front lip and two side skirts - WHAT A BARGAIN! :)

...what an expensive week $_$ CAI + Bodykit

she used to be a conquest... now she's a little beast

more pics in my garage! G0_d bless the wreckers

post-1310-1145282289_thumb.jpg

Edited by RME1

Stivo bodykit installed!!! @$350!!! front lip and two side skirts - WHAT A BARGAIN! :)

What the front lips like? Did you remove and replace the entire front bar?

What the front lips like? Did you remove and replace the entire front bar?

just below the licence plate, there are those three vertical bars - the front lip pretty much locks into the bars and is secured via bolts down below, which connect the front protective plate :) The 3M sticky tape also came in handy

i KNOW FOR A FACT...there are LEVIN BLACK SDIE SKIRTS/FRONT LIP at TOYOTA's R US in Laverton ...ask for BASEN 93141622

spoke to him b4 (last week about it) and he wanted $150 for each - so $300 for sideskirts...however he will do $400 for a complete kit - ask him about postage

NOTE: Basen is lazy - need to push softly

good luck to all

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update:

Project ELcheapo since April has had the following additions:

- Stivo Rims :D Cheers Gascan

I'm waiting for my stock tread to die - HEHEHEHE EXE Drag day!!! Come all and watch El Cheapo!!

2368301_19_full.jpg

- Stivo Catback (2.25" inches) :D Cheers Mello, MAP81 & Northy

Better response than i expected - more low end torque and surprisingly quiet cabin noise. I"ve been told it roars :) from 3k and upwards to 6k, an excellent mate with a CAI

- Tanabe Front Strut B) Cheers BangN

Improved steering response, enabling the driver to fully utilise the horizontal grip of the tires, as well as indicating the need for a better rear sway bar $_$ :blink:

2368301_7_full.jpg

- Razo Resin R Shifter :rolleyes:

Reduction of gear throws, el cheapo alternative to a 300 buc trd short shifter. The Razo gear knob cuts down the gear rod by arounds 30mm - word of advice: Go leather @ $39, cause Resin feels weird (i miss my TRD shifter :( )

- Voltage Stabliser :lol: On the Run

Improved sound quality - YES! it's true. Improved Fuel Economy - Yes! it's true. Improved start up - Yes! it's true . ...but for the price i paid :( . Unfortuately i'll be forever loyal to On The Run @ $120 i bought some E-Manage gizmo - however some other store offeres the Raizen stablisers, inclusive of 5 ground wires for $70 odd - that's ur best bet

- TRD grill B)

Hahaha, what a bargain - looks unique, even though she's got some battle scars

2368301_20_full.jpg

- Colour Coded Mud Gaurds :P

Again, an El Cheapo alternative to a stivo skirt

- new Exide Battery :P Cheers BigBum :angry: frikkin' Kmart :angry: frikkin' Toyota battery

The Toyota ones, as u should be well aware are S-A-K-A-T-A - outta the blue, she died on me.

Project El Cheapo is COMPLETE and it's R&D time!! :D

Over this time i've consulted with many TOCA members, in particular to those that have been mentioned above ( i owe you all beers), and a big thanks to you all ;)

Projections/Targets:

-Hopefully she'll run arounds 16's with street trim and 15's with stripped

- If she runs 85+KW ATW i'll be very happy (the CAI that i have has yet to be dyno proven- the pod is HUGE) Exe Dyno day? >_<

In the not too distant future $_$:

-spark plugs

- brakes

- coilovers

Edited by RME1

• 3 weeks later...

2368301_21_full.jpg

PROJECT EL CHEAPO IS COMPLETE!!!

thanks to all the ppls that have i've asked for and that have contributed to discussion on or outside this thread!! :P i smell a 1zzefe quarter mile record looming B)

2368301_21_full.jpg

PROJECT EL CHEAPO IS COMPLETE!!!

thanks to all the ppls that have i've asked for and that have contributed to discussion on or outside this thread!! :P i smell a 1zzefe quarter mile record looming B)

Good stuff man...lookin real sweet... B) :D

Good stuff man...lookin real sweet... B) :D

cheers mate, hopefully this thread can show other Toca ppls that you don't need to spend too much dough to make ur ride nice ;)

Heya Jules,

Glad to see that your project has finally completed. Or has it? :P Not sure how I helped you with the battery but Im glad I did :D It sure has had a lot of improvements since the last I saw it, that's for sure.

So did you still want some powdercoating done? How about we powdercoat those Stivo rims of yours? HOT PINK? :D :P :lol:

Heya Jules,

Glad to see that your project has finally completed. Or has it? :P Not sure how I helped you with the battery but Im glad I did :D It sure has had a lot of improvements since the last I saw it, that's for sure.

So did you still want some powdercoating done? How about we powdercoat those Stivo rims of yours? HOT PINK? :D :P :lol:

Negative Brandon :P ....but after seeing BangN's ride last night shoot past....DIY stivo black rims isn't outta the question :ph34r: Powdercoating? R u serious, she's Project El Cheapo, not Project El Richo!!

ATM in the pipe works is wrecker hopping for WRX/ITR bucket seat/seats. I've been quoted ridiculous amounts from 1000 for a pair of ITR 03-05 seats to 450 for MY99-01 rexy seats :o >_< where's the consistency in pricing!!!???

Also - should i not get a rice pair of bucket seats (not frikkin' red or pink or fluro yellow trimming - just black with MAYBE coloured stitching) i'm looking around for some Carbone fibre bonnet action ;) ...but i'm still in 'need' of a rear sway bar

:unsure: if anybody could help with those requests, it would be much appreciated!

Just a quick update:

Project ELcheapo since April has had the following additions:

- Stivo Rims :D Cheers Gascan

I'm waiting for my stock tread to die - HEHEHEHE EXE Drag day!!! Come all and watch El Cheapo!!

2368301_19_full.jpg

- Stivo Catback (2.25" inches) :D Cheers Mello, MAP81 & Northy

Better response than i expected - more low end torque and surprisingly quiet cabin noise. I"ve been told it roars :) from 3k and upwards to 6k, an excellent mate with a CAI

- Tanabe Front Strut B) Cheers BangN

Improved steering response, enabling the driver to fully utilise the horizontal grip of the tires, as well as indicating the need for a better rear sway bar $_$ :blink:

2368301_7_full.jpg

- Razo Resin R Shifter :rolleyes:

Reduction of gear throws, el cheapo alternative to a 300 buc trd short shifter. The Razo gear knob cuts down the gear rod by arounds 30mm - word of advice: Go leather @ $39, cause Resin feels weird (i miss my TRD shifter :( )

- Voltage Stabliser :lol: On the Run

Improved sound quality - YES! it's true. Improved Fuel Economy - Yes! it's true. Improved start up - Yes! it's true . ...but for the price i paid :( . Unfortuately i'll be forever loyal to On The Run @ $120 i bought some E-Manage gizmo - however some other store offeres the Raizen stablisers, inclusive of 5 ground wires for $70 odd - that's ur best bet

- TRD grill B)

Hahaha, what a bargain - looks unique, even though she's got some battle scars

2368301_20_full.jpg

- Colour Coded Mud Gaurds :P

Again, an El Cheapo alternative to a stivo skirt

- new Exide Battery :P Cheers BigBum :angry: frikkin' Kmart :angry: frikkin' Toyota battery

The Toyota ones, as u should be well aware are S-A-K-A-T-A - outta the blue, she died on me.

Project El Cheapo is COMPLETE and it's R&D time!! :D

Over this time i've consulted with many TOCA members, in particular to those that have been mentioned above ( i owe you all beers), and a big thanks to you all ;)

Projections/Targets:

-Hopefully she'll run arounds 16's with street trim and 15's with stripped

- If she runs 85+KW ATW i'll be very happy (the CAI that i have has yet to be dyno proven- the pod is HUGE) Exe Dyno day? >_<

In the not too distant future $_$:

-spark plugs

- brakes

- coilovers

GOod stuff im keen to see what you run :P

I did my 15.7 unstripped just with spare out. After my heavey duty clutch is in ill be heading back down with everything incuding seats out to tru and get closer to 15.5.

With that setup i think unstripped you shoudl get getting 16 flat to 16.2

Goodluck with it all!!

I did my 15.7 unstripped just with spare out. After my heavey duty clutch is in ill be heading back down with everything incuding seats out to tru and get closer to 15.5.

Goodluck with it all!!

Cheers mate, just came back from Kamakaze dyno day - and i thought, what the hell? why not throw GG on it... :blink: strange results:

Peak power: 75.4 kw @ 6446 (pretty linear)

Peak Torque: 285.2 Nm @ 4467 RPM (pretty linear)

Situation:

- No ECU reset (last reset was since battery died @ beginning of month)

- 'normal' Unleaded petrol (Safeway)

- has run 36,000 - with last service @ 30,000

- original spark plugs

- SA made P.O.C :ph34r:

Are these strange dyno results? ...has the ECU learnt that i don't "Need" that many KW? ...i drive quite El chepo styles so maybe that could explain the dyno results - shift point is normally 2.5 - 3000rpm

i'm mildly disappointed about the result, but hopeful that with a ECU reset some 95 Ron fuel (just fuelled up today @ 143c :ph34r: ) she should be 'OK' with drag day this saturday...but who knows

Who would of thought R&D would have some down sides :angry: ...the saga continues

Goodluck with it all!!

Cheers mate, just came back from Kamakaze dyno day - and i thought, what the hell? why not throw GG on it... :blink: strange results:

Peak power: 75.4 kw @ 6446 (pretty linear)

Peak Torque: 285.2 Nm @ 4467 RPM (pretty linear)

Situation:

- No ECU reset (last reset was since battery died @ beginning of month)

- 'normal' Unleaded petrol (Safeway)

- has run 36,000 - with last service @ 30,000

- original spark plugs

- SA made P.O.C :ph34r:

Are these strange dyno results? ...has the ECU learnt that i don't "Need" that many KW? ...i drive quite El chepo styles so maybe that could explain the dyno results - shift point is normally 2.5 - 3000rpm

i'm mildly disappointed about the result, but hopeful that with a ECU reset some 95 Ron fuel (just fuelled up today @ 143c :ph34r: ) she should be 'OK' with drag day this saturday...but who knows

Who would of thought R&D would have some down sides :angry: ...the saga continues

Heyz that's some torque you got going there?...where's dat coming from?

Sorry i'm not good when it comes to knowing wat mod does exactly what...lolz

That's like pushing nearly double the torque on me Stock 05 STivo!