2007 GSR50R Ultima HID headlamp ballast

tygersmoke

Hi guys,

I have a 2007 GSR50R Ultima that appears to have a faulty ballast on the LHS HID headlight projector. Before I spend hours removing the front bumper and headlight to remove the ballast (referred to in the Toyota service manual as 'headlight ECU'), could anyone point me to a resource where I could find the part number? ToyoDIY.com just lists the entire headlight which is not necessary; apart from the ballast it's fine.

I'd like to get the part in advance so that I only have to do the hard work once!

Thanks and regards,

Phil

Hi Tygersmoke

I believe the part you are looking for is:

01 81108 81107-21150 01 01.2006 COMPUTER SUB-ASSY, HEADLAMP LIGHT CONTROL, LH ACR5#,GSR5#..AERAS,G

I used http://toyota.epc-data.com/estima/gsr50w/57450/electric/8101/81108/ but did not know your VIN.

Verify that this is indeed for your car.

It should look like this https://www.google.com.au/search?q=81107-21150&biw=1760&bih=787&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijx4OwxdTJAhXErKYKHQHPBsMQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1.09

I personally would find a wrecker with the same model car you have and go have a look and also see how easy or hard it would be to remove the headlight assy and if happy negotiate a price.

Some time back I had a lady run into me and the panel beaters did the repairs including a new headlight assy. They threw the old assembly in the bin. I got them to get it out and give it to me.

When I got it home I removed the perfectly good ECU and its now in my spares.

Thanks for the helpful reply, Paul!

I found the same part number, 81107-21150, on japan-parts.eu....it seems to be the one. None of the local wreckers around here have any parts to suit unfortunately, just the non-HID models.

I'm actually going down a slightly different path now. The bulbs in this model Tarago are D4S (mercury free) which run on a different voltage to D2S (which have a greater light output). I had mistakenly bought D2S bulbs thinking they were interchangeable; they're not. So, I have bought some OEM Denso ballasts/ECUs to suit the D2S bulbs and am awaiting their delivery from the USA. They will be a pain to fit as the entire front bumper/grill/support frame have to come off to access the headlight assembly.

Did you know that fakes are common even for this type of part? It's a minefield out there, thank goodness for Google! The fakes look the same on the outside.......the fakes are the ones with white braiding instead of the silver coloured/red stripe braiding. Inside's a different story, cheap and nasty.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll post an update when the job's done for the archives,

Phil

Edited by tygersmoke