[SOLVED] No spark, no injector pulse, fuel pump not running 5SFE Camry

Jim.

My mechanic and I spent most of a day searching for the fault that stopped my 1993 5SFE Camry while it was running. We have proved the fuel pump is ok by powering it with jumper wires.

I have checked all ECU voltages and they check out ok at the terminals. I ran the codes and they indicate no faults. I'm thinking of checking the crank sensor this morning and also changing the distributor. I have a spare re-built one in the car.

Is there anyone who has experienced this cluster of symptoms and found a cause?

Thanks for the reply Trent. I have it fixed and running now. It was a fault in the distributor. I had a spare rebuilt one in the boot and just swapped it over, then the motor started first crank. The local auto electrician had already told me the most common fault of this nature in the Camry is the distributor.

I will now do what can to determine what component failed. I think I have another coil and some other parts in the shed. If so, I will swap out the coil first and see if that fixes it. I would like to have a spare in the back of the car again as I often go out West and like to be independent anyway.

Points worth noting from this experience:

1. The distributor problem and associated lack of spark did not show in the codes when I ran them.

2. It seems that lack of spark inhibits the injector pulses and the fuel pump. In hindsight, this is logical - prevents the engine from flooding when spark is lost.

I'll edit this thread as solved. - Just found this cannot be done on this site. What is the correct protocol for marking a thread as solved?

Edited by Jim.
See edit.