1989 Toyota Levin Import

Gday guys.....just signed up here today ,im looking for a new daily driver ,I spotted a cheap  1989 TOYOTA LEVIN 2 door ,locally ,its a full import ,with 4 AGE ,elect suspension etc ,my brother is warning me not to buy it as he says parts wont be easy to find in oz as  full Imports allways seem to run different parts to oz models .Said he encountered this type of issue all the time ,many moons ago.

I really want this Levin but not if im going to struggle to get parts if for example something on the Elec suspension ,Manifold ,etc goes bad!? ,any help MUCH,MUCH appreciated before I go buy this car then regret it!.....cheers

There are still ways to get parts, but they are few and far between these days; and usually involve long waiting times and high costs. I wouldn't advise it if, it is your only means of transport.

Thank you!!!...but now  im very disapoitnted,I had my mind set on this Levin ,but if m going to struggle to get parts,its not worth the headaches as t ill be my daily driver so cant afford to have long wait times for parts ,when something breaks . Allways wanted an AE86 but here in W.A  they are wayyyy outta my price range . About 12 years ago ,I owned a Toyota T18 and was the most reliable little car I ever owned!! , in 4 years of HARD DRIVINGI only ever had to change a Uni Joint ,nothing else

Edited by rollah

1989 would be an AE92, as far as engine components go they share pretty much everything with the Australian-delivered 4AGEs and there are plenty of aftermarket options too so no real issues there, the electronic suspension (TEMS) is a different story and if things go wrong there you're probably better ripping it out and just running the conventional springs/struts (which are also common with the Australian models).  Body panels are basically unique so if you're in a crash or have rust you'll need to track down another Levin/Trueno shell.  Some of the interior will be common (or at least swappable) too but if the thing isn't intact you'll almost certainly tear your hair out trying to track down all the bits and bobs to get it all back together

• Like 1

There are also a shedload of them in NZ - not exactly next door, but members of the toyspeed website have an awful lot of knowledge and will help you out for parts too. Keep it in good condition, don't do anything stupid and you should be fine :)