Wheels and tyres

Mr EB

Have a 2009 Aurion. Want to put better rims and tyres to make the ride more comfy. Any feedback if I changed from a 16" to a bigger rim? Any suggestion where to buy from?

Hi, it's the AT-X

just wondering what's best to choose. 16", 17", 18", 19" or 20" and then what Tyers are best. I want to put alloy wheels on and want t do it to replace the "hub caps" now that tyres are almost ready for replacement....

Aside from lowering tyre pressures(not a great idea), any increase in size of rim from the factory 16 inch will make the ride harsher. The AT-X is not a rough car from factory, so I am unsure of what ride quality you are expecting.

Thanks. So stick with the 16"? Was thinking that bigger wheel and wider tyre may have been a more comfortable ride, glad I asked. Any idea on best tyre to buy? Have read Michelin Energy are good and continental. Any comment?

6 hours ago, Mr EB said:

a more comfortable ride

It would be good to know, what you understand by "comfortable ride".

Do you mean, you'd want a softer ride, or a more "performance-like" comfort in curves?

If you want a softer ride, then stick with the 16" higher wall tyres and play with the air pressure.

I personally think, the pre-2012 Aurions are soft and rolly enough. The 17" wheels with 215/55/R17 size tyres seem to be a good match to make the Aurion roll a little less and stick to the road better than the stock 16" wheels, because the sidewalls are not as high..

You'll find, with new tyres you might have to develop a feel for the right air pressure first, try it out in a few large roundabouts or just doing U-turns with different air pressures.

My favourite tyres: Michelins.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks but I took the advice I read from a few people and went with the 16inch Micheline tyres, there is no doubt they are a very quiet tyre and very comfortable especially in comparison to the base range tyres that were on the car.

appreciate your message but I'm all sorted now before I got your message

• 1 month later...

Have had the 16" Michellin tyres for a few weeks - THEY AEE THE BEST! Thanks for the advice from those that responded. Very smooth ride, makes a huge difference. 

5 hours ago, Mr EB said:

Have had the 16" Michellin tyres for a few weeks - THEY AEE THE BEST! Thanks for the advice from those that responded. Very smooth ride, makes a huge difference. 

Yes, huge difference now but that is what you are expecting comparing old worn tyres. Real test is after you have done about 5,000 kms and still got that feeling. Appreciate to know what you think after a few months of driving.