Rim size

Major Canberra

Just about to complete restoration of my  RN90 2wd extra cab Hilux.... and I'm on the last glitch .. aarrgghh... I'm failing to find out this;

What size rims/tyres I can legally put on my car. 

Will Ford 12 slot rims fit.. can I legally put 15" rims on it, 16" rims even?

Help.... Google gives me nothing, and I can't read the plate on the door!!!!!

I find RedBook useful for specification information. I am fairly confident going from 14" rim to 16" rim should be legal provided rims and tyres do not protrude from the guards. After finding another URL, looks like a vehicle modification limitation is lifting the vehicle less than 50mm. Definitely best to contact your local Dept. of Transport and confirm what rim size etc. that you can legally fit.

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/1995-toyota-hilux-manual/SPOT-ITM-277473

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/1995-toyota-hilux-sr5-manual-4x4/SPOT-ITM-277481

http://www.offroadaussie.com/2015/02/modifying-4wd-tyres-and-suspension-legally/

Previously seen this video and had not paid that much attention to it as I am very much a sedan driver.

Certainly something to consider if you are raising the centre of gravity of your vehicle. Ground clearance is nice but not if it compromises safety.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/oh-what-a-feeling-video-shows-toyota-hilux-nearly-rollover-in-simple-swerve-test-at-60kmh/news-story/4b6db8dea2f9531840b82568d28d15ec

That's a completely different model, there was no mention of raising it and the rims the OP is enquiring about are 5 stud which suggests that is it a commercial sedan height ute rather than a lifted ute as they are 6 stud.

Also consider checking with your insurance company their policies/practices about changes to the wheel size. From personal experience, my existing insurer [at that time] would accept/consider only a 1" wheel diameter change and another insurer would readily accept a 2" wheel diameter increase from standard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any thing with a 5x 114.3 PCD Ford stud pattern.

Falcon, Territory, Nissan X-Trail,

I was running rims off a Kluger on mine 16 x 7 and they exceeded the Load rating required,

If you do put rims from a Falcon on even though they are the correct stud pattern beware of the larger centre hole on the ford compared to the hilux, you will need eccentric rings ( readily avail ) to take up the difference otherwise all the weight of your ute will be on the studs not on the hub

4 minutes ago, CONROD said:

That's the word I was lookin for, :blush:

Thanks Champ

No worries.

The rest of the info was good, but an eccentric ring would make for a very...interesting ride. 😂