Rav4 2013 2.2L D4D ERROR CODE

2.2D4David

Hi Everyone,

My 2013 Rav4 2.2L D4D has been displaying the 'check AWD system' error code (see attached pic) since I bought it 2nd hand over 8 months ago. It has an extended warranty (over 2 years and >120000kms remaining) however it's been into two different Toyota workshops a total of 4 times to be checked and (yet to be) fixed. When the code comes up the engine will shudder and gear changes won't be smooth - apparently it is a 'safety' mode. It was also blowing smoke when accelerating up hills, or hard acceleration off the line. 

It first happened during the week when I first bought they said it was some air in the fuel lines - the code went away for a month or so then they said it was the 2nd injector. They replaced the 2nd injector as apparently that was the cause. It seemed to fix it however the error code has come back on a few times since. 

I'm getting a bit fed up, it's a pain taking it in there all the time and I'm thinking the options are either 1) they don't know what's wrong or 2) they do know what's wrong and don't want to fix it... Either way not great!

?Unrelated my average fuel consumption is 8.2L/100km mostly modest urban driving, mid to high 7's if combined with a few hundred kms of country driving. 

Any ideas what it could be? 

Thanks for your help,

Dave

20170725_154219.jpg

4 hours ago, 2.2D4David said:

blowing smoke when accelerating up hills, or hard acceleration off the line. 

I guess that you are leaving a smoke screen visible in your rear vision mirror.  I would be checking for a blocked PCV [positive crankcase ventilation] valve and possibly also for engine sludge.

If you had the V6 2GR-FE engine, I would definitely be saying that it is the oil channels in the valve cover becoming chocked with accumulated oil sludge such that the oil cannot drain back quickly enough before it is sucked up via the PCV valve into the intake. Solution is to either replace the valve cover or thoroughly degrease/clean it.

Do not know the recommended oil change interval for your vehicle. If it is 10,000km then [in my opinion] you definitely need to be using a quality synthetic oil.

On 7/26/2017 at 0:55 PM, campbeam said:

I guess that you are leaving a smoke screen visible in your rear vision mirror.  I would be checking for a blocked PCV [positive crankcase ventilation] valve and possibly also for engine sludge.

If you had the V6 2GR-FE engine, I would definitely be saying that it is the oil channels in the valve cover becoming chocked with accumulated oil sludge such that the oil cannot drain back quickly enough before it is sucked up via the PCV valve into the intake. Solution is to either replace the valve cover or thoroughly degrease/clean it.

Do not know the recommended oil change interval for your vehicle. If it is 10,000km then [in my opinion] you definitely need to be using a quality synthetic oil.

Thanks for your help and prompt replies.

I received word yesterday that another injector is going to have to be replaced. I'm not sure which component exactly is causing the issues but will try and find out next week. After they fixed the 2nd injector the smoke issue did improve however I did notice a small amount of smoke when the conditions were right (at night, with another vehicle behind me with their lights on - accelerating up a hill at 90-110km). I thought this might be considered 'normal' as it is a fair bit of strain on the engine. 

This thread: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/122991-d4d-engines/  mention copper injector seals could be prone to corrosion and causing issue.

I also read the thread (took a while!):

It seems like the 2013 Rav4 2AD-FTV has had a few issues! Touch wood I haven't had any oil consumption issues as yet - but I will need to check that they haven't overfilled the oil when I get it back. 

In the meantime, I'm going to have to wait for the injector kit to be delivered to the dealer before it can be fixed. I'm feeling less and less confident about driving the car in it's current condition and will talk to the dealer on Monday about my options. 

I'll keep you updated.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Read my recent thread on a blown head gasket with my 2AD-FTV engine.

My advice? GET RID OF IT NOW !!!

Talbit

Edited by Talbit
Added link

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks the advice Talbot!

Quick update: after some drama they ended up replacing all of the injectors which fixed the issue.

New issue: when cold starting the car I get one small-puff to small-cloud of white smoke pop out of the exhaust. No problems once it is warm. No issue (I think) with hard acceleration. No/markedly reduced smoke if I click the ignition a couple of times.

Glow plugs or something more serious? *Sigh*