Takata Air bag Recall

Tony Prodigy

I have heard about this monstrosity over the last few years and thought it may be a good topic to touch upon here.

1st Question would be. 

Are our Cars affected by this Rogue design ticking time bomb of an air bag ??

If so, which models ?

Question 2. 

Is anyone out there still waiting for their bomb to be replaced ?

All comments welcome.

This would be a good watch: 

For some good reason Toyota Aurion/Camry range are not effected.

http://recalls.toyota.com.au/#/

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/products/transport/cars/toyota

In the Australian market, approximately 546,287 Toyota vehicles are involved in the recall.

Toyota models affected by Takata front driver side airbag recall:

Toyota Model

Production Range

ECHO HATCH

Dec 2002 through Oct 2005

RAV4

Jul 2003 through Oct 2005

Toyota models affected by Takata front passenger side airbag:

Toyota Model

Production Range

COROLLA

Nov 2000 through Dec 2012

YARIS

Aug 2005 through Dec 2012

AVENSIS

Apr 2001 through Dec 2009

RUKUS

Feb 2010 through Dec 2012

Edited by krigeroz

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Just wondering what experiences others have had in regards to this Global debacle.

At the moment Japanese manufacturers going through hell! 

Subaru recall

Kobe Steel scandal 

Nissan recall

Edited by krigeroz

I did see that here in NZ, the Blade is on the list along with the Corolla, for both 2.4 and 3.5 versions - even though not officially sold in NZ, but the NZTA site seems to have quite a few "import only" vehicles - good that they recognize reality !  So I guess that's the only recall for a 2GR ?? 

• 2 years later...

Just happened to be reading another motoring article, then came across this article about the Takata AirBag recall. Quite worrying that there are 8000 vehicles on the critical list and recommendation is to stop driving them immediately.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/takata-airbag-recall-200-000-cars-remain-8000-to-stop-driving-immediately-123602?trackLink=articleResultsHero

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list/takata-critical-including-alpha-airbags-require-immediate-replacement 

I did check my vehicle on this website. I am sure that the girlfriend's Yaris has had the airbag replaced but I will check on the weekend.

Extremely handy to know/remember if ever you are considering buying a used vehicle either now or in the future.

https://www.ismyairbagsafe.com.au/

Peter Anderson from youtube is in Melbourne somewhere and he's had two Toyota Starlets condemned by the government due to the Takata debacle. Rather than Toyota retrofitting these older cars at great expense, it would be cheaper to buy them back off the owner and scrap the cars. I haven't read too much about it, it was brought up in a couple of his videos.

Not sure how other States are handling this.

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Not sure how other States are handling this.

In the article, there is an implied threat that vehicles will not be able to be re-registered if the owners have not made the effort to respond to recall notices.

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

In the article, there is an implied threat that vehicles will not be able to be re-registered if the owners have not made the effort to respond to recall notices.

That makes sense. I don't know how anyone could drive a car with a faulty airbag especially a fault of this kind. People have died as a result of exploding airbags sending shrapnel flying out. If this isn't enough to scare anyone, I don't know what is. 

27 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That makes sense. I don't know how anyone could drive a car with a faulty airbag especially a fault of this kind. People have died as a result of exploding airbags sending shrapnel flying out. If this isn't enough to scare anyone, I don't know what is. 

They do not believe just how danderous it actually is rather than a case of bad luck of being hit in the wrong place. I do admit that I did not appreciate the severity of the issue until I actually saw the pictures of the jagged exit holes in the car roof. Presumably, the holes were caused by the metal fragments that had missed the driver but there had to have been a lot of force to project those fragments through the roof lining and then through the metal sheeting.

The other scary part is a few reports by owners of the airbags going off when the car was not involved in an accident. This would explain why the owners of 8000 vehicles have been requested to stop driving immediately.