GPS 2017 Corolla hybrid down hill driving

dalpets

• 2 weeks later...

What is the natureof the questions. Are you driving a manual or an automatic.

How steep is your hill, are we looking at 45 degrees or more like 20 degrees. 

Lower gearing is usually used to reduce the load on the vehicle going uphill by the way. just like when you ride a pushbike

AlexeiN

This is the rather long final main highway downward stretch though the Adelaide hills entering Adelaide from the eastern states. Trucks are required to use low gear on some of the steeper stretches & there are truck exits for braking emergencies ( an interstate truck recenly lost braking control there, killing 2).

There are speed limit changes along this stretch & with my previous V6 auto it was simple to change down to save the brakes.

My wife has a Mazda 2 auto & it also has provision on the gear stick for down changing, but my Corolla only has forward & reverse selectors on the stick. Not something I thought about when I purchased the vehicle. Not crucial but nice to have!

Edited by dalpets
spelling error

Okay fair point, just use your brakes like he said.u can step on them a lot more than you probs think. The brakes are designed so that you can push them really hard with your foot. Esp. the newer car. I mean thats one of the functions of ABS right. Your car could go up to 60km/h and slow to around 20km/h within 2.5 seconds ( but prob for experienced drivers with 5+ years) on a 2009 model car - this is my example.

It doesn't really matter if you are experienced, just gotta apply the brakes a bit harder if need be.

Edited by AlexeiN
mistake on slowing down

12 hours ago, dalpets said:

Trucks are required to use low gear on some of the steeper stretches & there are truck exits for braking emergencies ( an interstate truck recenly lost braking control there, killing 2).

There are speed limit changes along this stretch & with my previous V6 auto it was simple to change down to save the brakes.

Understand where you are coming from; you wanting to save brakes ready for emergency where you are having to drive or brake like hell to get out of the way of a runaway truck. Anyway best bit of fun on last interstate trip was driving down Cunningham's Gap [near to Warwick Qld] no traffic ahead and just using gear changes.

CVT is all about fuel economy [so I currently understand] Maybe with future developments, you can hope for a sportsmatic version to shift between preset points.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/28/toyota-thermally-efficient-engine/