GSV50 Aurion rear spoiler brake light

paulcnb

Hi,

I own a 2013 Aurion and am seeking advice on connecting the wiring for an aftermarket rear spoiler.
Would someone please tell me how/where to connect the spoiler's LED brake light into the car wiring?  I have been told by a friend that I should not splice into the existing taillight wire(s) as to do so will overload the wiring.

I assume that ideally, the best way would be to connect to the existing high level brake light - a bundle of wires appear to come/go to the high level light, but I know next to nothing about electrickery  so some guidance as to the best method of connecting the spoiler brake light would be much appreciated. 

Regards,  

Edited by paulcnb

Yes - thanks.  I assumed that a forum member would already have "been there done that" and save me a pocket full of dollars by giving me a heads up on the fix.  But that doesn't appear to be the case.

LED lighting uses very, very little energy (voltage) you will see the brake light in the spoiler has very thin wires. My aftermarket rear spoiler was wired in by my local Toyota dealer. Here in Victoria it is illegal to have both the rear window stop light and the rear spoiler operational at the same time. From the rear back shelf stop lights, the cable was detached and then the spoiler wiring was connected to that. So in fact the LED applies less drain to the brake light circuit than original set up. From which exact area they performed the disconnect and re routing from I am not sure, possibly passenger side above wheel well near seat back. 

Edited by TIDYWAZZA

Thanks Warren.  After giving it some consideration I will likely finish the installation and then have an auto elec connect the led to the existing high level brake light (noting that the original light needs to be disconnected).

For info, the wire to the original high level brake light can be seen from inside the boot - under the rear parcel shelf.  It is immediately under the brake light, but appears to terminate at a metal finger-like connector that doesn't seem to go anywhere else.  The loom wiring also looks to contain more than two wires as it is relatively bulky.  It has me stumped at the moment.