RTA rules on fitting aftermarket wheels & tyres:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow.../vsi09_rev4.pdf

RTA list of Approved Engineer's:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...s/vsi/vsi15.pdf

RTA rules on headlight covers:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow.../vsi29_rev1.pdf

We should print these out and have them ready when they pull us over :P:P:P:P

LOL thats an awesome idea!

A mate of mine suggested to me that we should also have the RTA handbook regard street signs printed out too (apparantly a large portion of the parking inspectors dont have any idea what the signs actually mean).

eg in a No Parking Zone

(1) The driver of a vehicle must not stop on a length of road or in

an area to which a no parking sign applies, unless the driver:

(a) is dropping off, or picking up, passengers or goods; and

(B) does not leave the vehicle unattended; and

© completes the dropping off, or picking up, of the

passengers or goods, and drives on, as soon as possible

and, in any case, within the required time after stopping.

According to the RTA thats within a 2 min timeframe.

In a no standing zone

This sign means that in the area in the direction of the arrow you cannot stand your vehicle except to stop to pick up or set down passengers.

So remember guys you cant get fined for stopping in a no parking or no standing zone provided you are in the car (unless the parking inspector stands there and times you for 2 mins - then you're in trouble)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downlo...ruh_english.pdf

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations...ads/pts1-21.pdf

Edited by neK

You know what i reckon we should do it through this forum and print out a hand book that can be given to all members to kepp in their cars and have it divided into "quick reference" sections such as *parking, traffic etc....catagories!!! It would be great to be able to read the rules on point of being fined by a officer!!! It will save us those long winded arguments with police that know only half the ammount that we as car enthusiasts know!!! MODS IF YOUR READING THIS LETS SAY WE SIT DOWN AND PLAN SOMETHING OUT TO DO THIS!!!! Personally i would love a copy of all the rules and regulations spelled out in a little handbook!!! GREAT IDEA "NEK"!!!!!! :D ^_^

Let me tell you there are alot of skylines and commadores out there that dont comply!!!

Theres heaps of Cars out there that are not road legal & for most of the people who own these illegal vehicles it will never be a problem for them but for some its a problem that will take many years to get over. I will give you an example of what my friend is currently going through right now.

My friend purchased a 2nd hand VN SS Commondore. This car came with a set of 18" wheels that the previous owner had put on the car. My friend who is took the attitude that is doesn't really matter what the rules are now has a serious problem because a short time later his wife was involved in an accident in this car that was her fault. As per the process an Insurance investigator assessed the vehicle. The inspector noted that the tyres fitted to the car did not meet the minimum load rating specified by the manufacturer & therefore he voided the policy. This left my friend who has sought leagl advise with the debt of finance for his car, the debt of replacing the car & worst of all the debt of fixing the BMW that his wfe hit in the accident. Due to high value of this debt my friend has opted to pay it off in instalments of $50 a week for the next 20 years.

oh man! thats bad luck! So alot of cars out therer are at risk because of this!

Did he tell the insurance that those mods were on the ute?

oh man! thats bad luck! So alot of cars out therer are at risk because of this!

Did he tell the insurance that those mods were on the ute?

No, he thought it wouldn't be an issue for him.

Wheels up to 26 mm larger than the largest optional wheel for that partic. car is allowed with no eng cert. GOOD...

Track not to be increased by more than 25 mm beyond the max specified track for that make and model

Track not to be increased by more than 12.5mm on either side, when you have modified suspension ... pretty technical ****** !

Edited by Les

Dude, I dont think its an issue of is 17" or 19" ok or not, it is the actual track (width increase of 25mm max) and rolling diameter (no more than 15mm if I remember correct).

So you need to take into account the width of the rim, the offset, camber and the tyres you use !!

So unless the cop has the specs for the "optional wheel" for a particular model and has the means to calculate your current setup .. there should be no **** way in hell they can defect you !!!

I was talking to a family friend awhile ago who was an ex-highway patrol and he was saying that the only reason that cops/law hate the lowered ride hieght and wider larger diametre tyres of us young guys cars is the fact that......

1) It lowers the centre of gravity making the car more stable and handle better at high speed, as we all know hehehehehe ;) ^_^ :P

2) The wider track of the tyres produces a larger surface area to grip on the road...Better grip and handling around tight corners!! ^_^ ^_^

3) To sum it all up this was the thoughts quite a few years ago but basically should we "PULL-CHASE" against the Police in our cars they would have SH17 all chance of catching us!!! :P :lol: Due to the fact that in OZ the police cannot perform the same high speed persuits and blocking moves as they do in America.....But even saying that look at what happened 3-4years ago when the NSW police force got the tweaked up version of the Club SPEC EVO3 WRX they were all re-called and no longer used because the police could'nt drive the damn things....Lets face it you dont have to be Collin MCray to take a corner at 60+km/hr in REXY .....But half of the WRX cop cars were crashed i personally saw one of them crashed after a unsuccessful CAR CHASE!!! :lol: ^_^

yeah that reminds me, ACT police were given a brand spanking new turbocharged volvo station wagon instead on the WRX, and within a month, it tried to chase a rex and ended up through a brick wall!!! real clever arent they!

Dude, I dont think its an issue of is 17" or 19" ok or not, it is the actual track (width increase of 25mm max) and rolling diameter (no more than 15mm if I remember correct).

So you need to take into account the width of the rim, the offset, camber and the tyres you use !!

So unless the cop has the specs for the "optional wheel" for a particular model and has the means to calculate your current setup .. there should be no **** way in hell they can defect you !!!

You are spot on

HOWEVER, BLKRLA, I have seen many cars get defected for whatever the hell reasons the cops come up with and really, there is not much you can do unless you can videotape the conversation with the cop saying yes yes I am defecting you because of "big wheels" as opposed to the cop actually measuring using the correct specifications !!

I am sure there is some unwritten rule that the cops can do as they please however, hence there are always defects written and people just pay the fine because they thik they are in the wrong !