Clutch replacement on 2005 Corolla Sportivo

Hi everyone

Well it looks like it's finally time to replace the original clutch.

I'd like to keep everything Toyota genuine OEM and would love to hear from anyone who might know some info I'm after:

• Part number of genuine OEM clutch
  • Best place to purchase genuine OEM clutch
  • Best place in Sydney to install

Thanks in advance :) 

I know you'd like to keep everything genuine but have you considered the Exedy replacement clutches at all? I'm sure in the long run they'd be the same and cheaper than getting one from Toyota.

Just a thought. I can try and see what the part number would be for you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted a Blusteele Heavy Duty part no. BHD -799018 I use the car in hillclimbs as well as on the road, I recently had the engine out and it looked fine. You'll find them on the bay of e at reasonable money. It came with centre plate and tool to line it up.

Let us know what you go for.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies guys, sorry for the delay!

I've been closely looking at the Exedy clutch kit which seems like really good value and has had rave reviews with it's like-for-like OEM build quality.

I do prefer to keep everything OEM as the car is now my wife's daily driver and don't want anything heavy duty that has a hard pedal feel. 

1 hour ago, CheekySportivo said:

Thanks for your replies guys, sorry for the delay!

I've been closely looking at the Exedy clutch kit which seems like really good value and has had rave reviews with it's like-for-like OEM build quality.

I do prefer to keep everything OEM as the car is now my wife's daily driver and don't want anything heavy duty that has a hard pedal feel. 

Exedy clutches are excellent. I went with the HD and it honestly feels lighter than the OEM my car came with when I bought it. I haven't had pedal feel for a replacement Exedy at all but, oddly enough when I tried a HD in my mates 2004, it felt heavier than mine. When he transferred his gearbox with the same clutch into his 2005, the pedal felt exactly like mine, soft.

• Like 1

Ouch! Just got a quote from a couple of Toyota spare parts dealerships - disc, bearing and cover - $1300 for the OEM clutch parts!

Looking at around $2K for the whole install with parts and labour.

Does this sound right?

Edited by CheekySportivo

15 hours ago, CheekySportivo said:

Ouch! Just got a quote from a couple of Toyota spare parts dealerships - disc, bearing and cover - $1300 for the OEM clutch parts!

Looking at around $2K for the whole install with parts and labour.

Does this sound right?

Extremely expensive for an OEM FWD clutch, I know that a lot of rear wheel drive cars like Skyline's, Supra's, Falcon's etc pay that kind of money for heavy duty clutches. Exedy is honestly the way to go and I found the car much easier to drive with the heavy duty over stock, but that's just me.

Edited by Squalled
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CheekySportivo said:

Do I even need all those separate parts? I just thought I would need the clutch plate.

Well, it depends also if the clutch disk itself is worn down. If it is, I doubt replace the clutch plate on it's own would make a difference. Does the current clutch feel "spongy" or seems to bite right at the top at all or slipping even though you've passed the bite point?

7 minutes ago, Squalled said:

Well, it depends also if the clutch disk itself is worn down. If it is, I doubt replace the clutch plate on it's own would make a difference. Does the current clutch feel "spongy" or seems to bite right at the top at all or slipping even though you've passed the bite point?

The clutch pedal seems fine and normal. I'm always able to shift at the same load time, it's only when I accelerate hard you can hear the revs go way up as the gears aren't engaging properly.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, CheekySportivo said:

So you reckon go the heavy duty over OE from Exedy?

It's up to you really, from what I understand the pedal feel doesn't feel that much different between the heavy duty and OE. The heavy duty clutches have actually gone up in price since I got mine a few years ago so going OE can definitely save a bit of coin while doing the same job in the process. As long as the master cylinder is adjusted correctly, there are no leaks or air in the system also you won't have issues with gear crunching or grinding unless, something within the gear box has failed or worn out.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, YeahNah said:

Hello, I know this is an old thread but I was just wondering if you ended up going with the Exedy kit? And how did you find it? 

You can find the clutch on eBay, since I got mine over 3 years ago the price of them has gone up I believe, well for the heavy duty that is.