Extra gauges?

matt36415

I doubt anyone here has done such a thing Matt.

My way of thinking on such a thing would be to look for a spot where the bit you mount it too, can be easily replaced. If such an install requires holes to be drilled and you ever need to remove it, you don't want unsightly holes in your dash. Just looking at the 40 series dash layout, I can see a spot just above the ashtray lid. I suspect that part is removable and if it's not too large, it could well be a good spot. Not sure if your car has the rear blind feature too. 

I have seen various types available, not sure which one you have though.

2006-Toyota-Aurion-interior.jpg

That is the exact spot I had in mind. An oil pressure and transmission temp gauge. I have a scangague so already have exact coolant temp and other things. On a 1999 SSS Nissan Pulsar the oil pressure would drop a bit at around 5-6000km which told me it was time for an oil change. Not sure what will happen on this car..

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Matt. Oil temp and pressure are two very important nuggets of information. The OCD in me would try and have the gauge bezels painted to match the rest of the fascia you have there so it blends in nicely. You can get paint colour matched these days via a scanner at your local paint shop. An airbrush job would be a perfect DIY. 50ml of paint would be plenty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

The OCD in me would try and have the gauge bezels painted to match the rest of the fascia you have there so it blends in nicely.

The Accountant in me would be leaving the gauges as is.

Nice difference that the temperature gauge has a red pointer and the pressure gauge has a white pointer.

I would think that you are more likely to be monitoring the oil pressure gauge so best place that gauge for a better line of sight.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All done, oil pressure and the oil temp is on the transmission. The pressure gauge was a bit sensitive to having a good earth on both the sender and gauge but otherwise it was pretty straight forward, possibly the hardest bit was getting wires through the firewall.

A1D29CAA-0E22-4FAA-B293-DA802CFF6D35.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1