17x7.5" GSU40/45 wheels to replace 16x6.5" wheels on MCU28R?

- Boony -

I've just got myself a low km 2006 Kluger with the 16x6.5" basic steel wheels.

I've been looking for a set of factory alloy wheels in either 16" or 17" to replace them and found a set from a later model Kluger in 17x7.5". The PCD is the same but I haven't gotten my head around the offset requirements so am unsure if the 17" will fit? I was hoping a member might be able to clarify for me, or otherwise refer me to a resource on the net? Also would the 7.5" width be to large for the car I have?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

In reply to my own post I got a set of 17" rims off a 2nd gen Kluger. Everything matches including offset. The rims came with 265/65 AT tyres which fit on the front of the car but touch the base of the lower spring perch of the struts on the rears. (Seems the rear struts are about 2" shorter...)Anyway I didn't want to have tyres that wide so will go to 245/65.

Edited by - Boony -

10 hours ago, - Boony - said:

In reply to my own post I got a set of 17" rims off a 2nd gen Kluger. Everything matches including offset. The rims came with 265/65 AT tyres which fit on the front of the car but touch the base of the lower spring perch of the struts on the rears. (Seems the rear struts are about 2" shorter...)Anyway I didn't want to have tyres that wide so will go to 245/65.

I would've assumed that whatever Toyota wheels Toyota put on any Kluger would all be interchangeable. Probably better to have got a set from the same Gen car but from a higher spec model for example. If the current combo works then happy days. I wasn't aware of suspension changes on 2nd Gen Vehicle. Probably to accommodate the larger tyre section to keep with the rest of the competition.

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Probably better to have got a set from the same Gen car but from a higher spec model for example.

In that case, the wheels would be 17 x 6.5 and tyres 225/65/R17

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2007-toyota-kluger-grande-auto-awd-my06/SPOT-ITM-278325/

29 minutes ago, campbeam said:

In that case, the wheels would be 17 x 6.5 and tyres 225/65/R17

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2007-toyota-kluger-grande-auto-awd-my06/SPOT-ITM-278325/

Yep, XU20 platform would be different to the XU40. Not sure how 245's would look on the 1st Gen Kluger. Hopefully the O.P can upload some images.

• 2 months later...

Just got back after driving 600km on freeway and very bad country road (aptly named the Buckets Way) while towing a boat. There's very slight rub from the front right wheel on the plastics and on the frame(?) when at full hard lock turning left (see photo). It could even be the whiskers on the new tyres which are rubbing and not the tyre itself as there are no marks on the tyre.

There's about 20mm gap between the tyre and plastics on the front also at full lock (see photo). 

20210309_113040.jpg

20210309_112800.jpg

Edited by - Boony -

Thanks for posting the photos. I had a feeling there might be some rubbing because those wheel/tyre combos look huge for that car. More suited to the larger bodied XU40 rather than the 20 I think. 

They really fill those guards that's for sure.

• 7 months later...

I've changed the wheels on my 2003 Kluger to 17 inch.

The way to do it is to get the 17 inch Kluger wheels from the Grande high end spec 1st gen Kluger or the 17 inch Lexus RX330 wheels from same generation.

Then the offset and clearances are all correct.

Tyres are 225 65 17 and everything fits. No rubbing.

Hope this helps

Ivan