Oil Leak and Long Crank on Warm Starts

abood

Hey guys,

I've been reading on the forum for quite a bit and this is my first post! Hopefully you legends would be able to help.

I recently bought an Aurion knowing it had an oil leak but I just crawled under and had a brief look and thought it was just a oil pan gasket and that has not been the case unfortunately. 

I took it to a mechanic and they advised me that the power steering pump was leaking and gave me a quote of $550 for a rebuilt part plus labour. 

Long story short I then decided to have a look myself as I never had to top up the power steering fluid and the power steering fluid leak they said was bs. I cleaned up the underneath a bit and found the oil leak to be coming from a spot but not sure what that is, I'll attach the picture with the post.

That's the first issue, and the second main one is long cranks on startup when the car is warm. I have no idea what could be causing it and I do get a CEL with traction and VSC coming on even after resetting it and driving about 50-100kms. The code is P0420. Could it be the oxygen sensors itself or could it be leaking injectors that's causing this?

It's got the clunky steering as well but I've read that's pretty common on the Aurions from the other posts.

Thanks a lot guys!

20210224_192011.heic

20210224_191809_result.jpg

20210224_191950_result.jpg

Edited by abood
Images were not uploaded correctly.

Good starting point is to give the engine a clean/degrease from the top down. This will help to find exactly where the leak is coming from, as well as cleaning the power steering pump.

When was the last time that the power steering fluid was changed. In recent posts, I have mentioned about using a hand pump to drain the reservoir then refill with new fluid. It is an item on my annual maintenance list.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/nulon-nulon-multi-vehicle-power-steering-fluid-500ml/294306.html#q=power%2Bsteering&lang=en_AU&start=9

The P0420 code refers to the efficiency of the catalytic convertor and usual fix is to clean the O2 sensors.

No definite answer for the long cranks on startup after the engine is warm but I would be looking at the fuel injectors and spark plugs. Before I was using 91 ULP and fuel additives now I am currently just using 95 ULP. I would consider using either of these products.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/liqui-moly-liqui-moly-petrol-injector-cleaner-300ml/156711.html#q=fuel%2Binjector%2Bcleaner&lang=en_AU&start=15

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/nulon-nulon-pro-strength-petrol-fuel-system-extreme-clean-500ml/561439.html?cgid=SCA0107070201#start=1

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

Good starting point is to give the engine a clean/degrease from the top down. This will help to find exactly where the leak is coming from, as well as cleaning the power steering pump.

I agree. 

Give it a thorough degrease and check it daily to see where it's coming from. My thoughts are it's not power steering but engine related because the colour of the oil. I've never seen power steering fluid turn golden brown. It looks suspiciously like engine oil  seepage.

I reckon the previous owner was using 91 and now I started filling it up with 95 to see if it makes any difference. I haven't noticed much difference yet. I'll use an injector cleaner with my next fill up, not sure if that actually does anything but doesn't hurt to try.

With the leak, I will definitely try that. I'm very limited with time these days, I'll try taking it to a different mechanic today and see what they reckon. It can't really be the power steering fluid like what Tony said cause of 2 reasons, I've put more than 500kms on the car now and never had to top it up nor did I notice the reservoir getting low and the color itself.

The pump that's covered in oil is the power steering pump itself yeah?

I'll keep you guys updated once I take it to the shop.

Thanks again guys.

36 minutes ago, abood said:

I reckon the previous owner was using 91 and now I started filling it up with 95 to see if it makes any difference.

Nothing wrong with 91 for the 2GR-FE. If you want to use 95, it's up to you but using 91 doesn't cause any ongoing issues. 
It's possible your fuel filter may be due. It's an in tank fuel filter. How many kays has she done ?? The question can also be asked about the quality of fuel used over it's lifetime. Sometimes you can fill up your tank when the servo's underground tanks are low and you end up with cruddy fuel and this will sit in your tank and be picked up when you drive with low fuel. That long start you're experiencing could be a slight drop in fuel pressure caused by a dirty fuel filter and or a fuel pump intake sock.

36 minutes ago, abood said:

The pump that's covered in oil is the power steering pump itself yeah?

Yes it is.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

Is it true that most of the servos use crappy quality 91 fuel? I've been filling up from Caltex recently.

She's done 276k kms and not much history available at the car at all. Is there any easy way to test whether it could be the fuel filter or the fuel injectors could be causing the starting issues?

Fuel quality is difficult to determine, but you'd like to think it's ok.

Maybe it's time for a major service if it has little to no history. 276k is up there and a fuel filter should’ve been done already. 

If you know a good mechanic, let him have a look over it. A fuel pressure test can determine the condition of the pump/filter. Your fuel injectors could be suspect but I'd look at the delivery side first.