99 Corolla Seca Hatch repair advice needed

Hey guys,

So I've managed to replace the dizzy o-ring... Thanks to you guys for the help!!! 

I've got a couple more queries if thats okay. 

* Rocker cover gasket is next... With the Permatex RTV Silicone Gasket Maker - do I just cover the whole gasket outline with the silicone? 

www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/ultra-series-gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-black-maximum-oil-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-4/

The last mechanic advised the following also needs done... Any opinions on whether I can do it myself or get a mechanic to do it? 

* Replace leaking wheel cylinders and clean / service rear brake assemblies

* Brake fluid flush and change of full braking system

* Automatic transmission flush service

You guys are amazing thanks for any advice and help 😁

22 hours ago, Chippps said:

Rocker cover gasket is next... With the Permatex RTV Silicone Gasket Maker - do I just cover the whole gasket outline with the silicone? 

Hey Chippps. Using RTV sealant on a worn gasket is only a temporary solution. There is more than one item that has the potential to leak on the rocker cover. There is obviously the main gasket for the cover's perimeter, but there is also the plug seals and bolt seals. This comes in a kit and It's better to just remove and replace all the tired old rubber seals and replace them with fresh new ones. No RTV is needed. Tighten to the correct torque so you don't crush the gaskets and you'll have a leak free top end.

This is a reference for what you'd need for this

https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/Rocker-Cover-Gasket-Kit-Corolla-AE102-AE112-AE93-AE96-1992-2001-4cyl-7AFE-1-8L-Toyota-JN904K/ZPN-13371

You can seek out the kit from wherever you prefer. 

22 hours ago, Chippps said:

* Replace leaking wheel cylinders and clean / service rear brake assemblies

* Brake fluid flush and change of full braking system

* Automatic transmission flush service

These three should be done by a competent person. If you are not confident you can do any of these I would suggest a good mechanic. If you have the necessary tools and equipment and feel knowledgeable and capable, then by all means give it a go.

Brakes are an area I would recommend be done by someone with some experience. You can of course watch a youtube videos and learn, but this is up to you.

We're not sure of your level of DIY'ship and what tools or knowledge you possess, so in saying this, in reality, saying and doing are two different things.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

This comes in a kit

Thanks heaps. I've got the full kit so I'm all good to go! So no sealant required? 

Tighten to the correct torque

A torque wrench is not something I have so I'll grab one so I don't do any damage. 

These three should be done by a competent person.

Definitely agree with you on that one but just wanted to make sure before I go messing things up haha 

THANKS AS ALWAYS. YOU'RE A LEGEND!!! 

5 hours ago, Chippps said:

Thanks heaps. I've got the full kit so I'm all good to go! So no sealant required?

Nope. The new rubber gasket is pliable enough to form a seal. Just make sure the mating surfaces are very clean. Use brake cleaner to clean the surfaces, fit the gasket to the cover as well as the others and then torque it to spec. You should no problems after this. Overtightening can damage the gasket so find out what torque specs are required and be prepared before you tackle it. Do it once, do it right.

5 hours ago, Chippps said:

A torque wrench is not something I have so I'll grab one so I don't do any damage. 

It's good to have a selection of torque wrenches. You can get 1/4' drive, 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive. 3/4" drive is over kill and almost never used for a car.

Use the most appropriate sized one for the range of torque required and torque offered by the tool itself. They can be gotten for fairly cheap and will be good enough for DIY.

You're lucky you're in Queensland as Trade Tools have great tools. I have made many purchases from them including socket sets and various torque wrenches.

They have great sales from time to time so look them up and subscribe to their mailing list so you get updates on the sales.

Cheers :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Chippps said:

Thanks mate 

I absolutely love trade tools... They always have what I need. 

Trade Tools currently have their Renegade brand torque wrenches on special for this week. I have definitely got the 1/4" and 3/8" Renegade torque wrenches. 1/2" torque wrench is a different brand.

5 hours ago, campbeam said:

Trade Tools currently have their Renegade brand torque wrenches on special for this week. I have definitely got the 1/4" and 3/8" Renegade torque wrenches. 1/2" torque wrench is a different brand.

Absolute legend I'll pop in there tomorrow 

On 5/9/2021 at 9:56 AM, Chippps said:

* Rocker cover gasket is next... With the Permatex RTV Silicone Gasket Maker - do I just cover the whole gasket outline with the silicone? 

Standard procedure is no sealant _except_ for a tiny dab in the corners where the seal goes over the camshaft humps on the exhaust cam (the sealant goes on the head, not the cam cover), this is because the seal won't be applying even pressure in those areas so a little extra assistance is needed from the goop.

spacer.png

That's the timing end, there will be another hump at the other end of the exhaust cam where the dizzy attaches

3 hours ago, Hiro said:

Standard procedure is no sealant _except_ for a tiny dab in the corners where the seal goes over the camshaft humps on the exhaust cam (the sealant goes on the head, not the cam cover), this is because the seal won't be applying even pressure in those areas so a little extra assistance is needed from the goop.

Good to know actually. I assumed there would be no goop from the factory as the rubber gasket has a bit of meat in it. But I agree in hindsight looking at the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys 

With the torque all I've found is 80 in lbs.... Does that seem right? 

I had the workshop manual saved but now I can't find it haha

2 hours ago, Chippps said:

Thanks guys 

With the torque all I've found is 80 in lbs.... Does that seem right? 

I had the workshop manual saved but now I can't find it haha

5.9Nm according to the Toyota engine manual, make sure the washers haven't disintegrated (they are wont to do so) otherwise they will leak (and they'll break if you do them up too tight)

Check for leaks from the spark plugs tubes seals few days later, at that age they are usually brittle and crack from the smallest disturbance during removal of valve cover.

• 7 months later...

Might be a trick of the camera (due to the oil) but it looks like the head has been dinged at that corner (probably by someone trying to pry a stuck cam cover off and damaged the sealing surface)

Hiro you legend.... that's what it would be.

Is there any way to seal that corner without taking the cam cover off? 

It's a new seal so i doubt ill be changing it anytime soon. Also, the car only cost $500 so if I can just seal it to stop the leak then I'd be happy :) 

Can't hurt to whack some more RTV around that area, the PCV system should prevent too much pressure buildup in the cam cover so really it's just got to hold up to oil being splashed against it.  If it's a big enough dint you might be able to get away with filling it in with some JBWeld or the like and scraping it smooth enough to seal against

7 hours ago, Hiro said:

the PCV system should prevent too much pressure buildup in the cam cover so really it's just got to hold up to oil being splashed against it. 

A good idea too would be to check the PCV system for any build up.

11 minutes ago, Chippps said:

Sorry for another question. 

I've got this RTV sealant. 

I'm a bit lost with what JB Weld to get there are so many haha PX82180.thumb.jpg.c6e62b17d852e9133fab67d8c6841608.jpg

When most people say JB-Weld, they usually mean the original flagship product (a metal 2-part epoxy for repairing cracked castings etc) rather than the whole range that they branched out in to

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/jb-weld-jb-weld-original-cold-weld-56.8g/599267.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxc6PBhCEARIsAH8Hff2YAAYphE_6rCuhx1uql2Vj7jVOCCgddmweiG39XAg5d2ezTHEaMboaAhlKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds