08 hilux sr5 auto possible transmission issue

Jeremy79

Hi guys, recently when I brake to a stop and then start to excellerate again sometimes it won’t engage in drive straight away And it just sounds like I’m Reving it in neutral. After a few seconds in will engage again, it’s only recently started happening but it doesn’t happen all the time. Any ideas would be great?

When was the transmission last serviced ?

Could be low fluid, could be bad fluid or the torque converter could be playing up.

It's really hard to diagnose over the internet. Someone needs to physically check all the vital signs, perhaps even hook up the OBD II and see if there are any error codes stored.

Maybe a fluid flush can cure all the issues. Have a qualified transmission tech look at it and go from there.

6 hours ago, Jeremy79 said:

Last service was 8000k ago, transmission fluid was good when I checked 2 weeks ago

So I'm guessing that was around 6 months ago or so and this would've entailed mainly the engine service right ?

How many kays has the vehicle travelled and was the transmission ever serviced prior to this ?

It's possible there could be a loose connector somewhere under there which governs the solenoids within the transmission. Either this or there is a mechanical condition brewing. Does it only slip under the situation you described ?

Yea the last service was just a standard engine service. The trucks just clicked over 170000ks . I don’t know if the transmission has ever been serviced, I’ve only had the truck about a year. The times I described is the only time it seems to happen

3 hours ago, Jeremy79 said:

The times I described is the only time it seems to happen

You ignore warning signs at your own peril. A bit of preventative maintenance can avoid an expensive repair or breakdown at a later date.

3 hours ago, Jeremy79 said:

The trucks just clicked over 170000ks . I don’t know if the transmission has ever been serviced,

Probably a good time to get the tranny looked at given you don't have a solid service record. As Ashley mentioned, don't ignore the warning signs. A simple transmission service could fix whatever is going on. Whilst it's up on the hoist, I suppose they will remove the pan and check the innards for any issues too.

Keep us posted.

Cheers :thumbsup:

On 5/19/2021 at 1:39 PM, Jeremy79 said:

Yea I’ve booked it in next week to get it looked at. Cheers for the advice, I’ll let u know how I get on

Great. I'd love to see what colour the fluid is. It's possible it may have been serviced at some point, but if you don't have a log book history, it's all speculation. I'd just assume it hasn't and just have it done anyway. This way you can plan ahead for it's next service if no real damage has already occurred in the mean time.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

Just got it back from the garage. Turns out there was a leak in the trans cooler, they said the oil left in there looked like chocolate so it probably never had a trans service before. So was a pretty cheap fix and glad I Didn’t leave it too long to get looked at

28 minutes ago, Jeremy79 said:

Just got it back from the garage. Turns out there was a leak in the trans cooler, they said the oil left in there looked like chocolate so it probably never had a trans service before. So was a pretty cheap fix and glad I Didn’t leave it too long to get looked at

Great result. Glad it worked out