Oil Filter - which one to use?

For my 50,000km service ive decided to supply my own oil (The Mobil 1 Gold 10w-30 as recommended by you guys), and im gonna take it to my mechanic to get it done.

My mechanic also asked me if i had my own oil filter, but after I said no, he said he's got ones in stock.

Now if im to go buy my own oil filter, which one do i get? I seen the price start off @ $10 and go to $25 and maybe even higher.

Im gonna take the car to service this Thursday (so that leaves me 2 days to get the oil filter), so if you guys could give me some suggestions that would be great!

Thanks all!

just go down to autobarn/repco and get what ever they have, it really dosent make much diff.

ahh i thought there was a special one you guys used.

So even the generic Repco branded one will do?

I'd never put a cheap filter ryco etc filter on any of my good engines.

The genuine filters are well worth the small amount extra they cost. Don't be a tight**** with your expensive motor.

Only an idiot would put a non genuine oil filter on a motor that's still under warranty.

Expect to pay $13-18 for the genuine oil filter from any parts department.

Edited by rollamods

I have doen alot of research and ryco are actually pretty good.

Stay away from cooper or the oil filter brand that is the cheaper ones from repco/autobahn.

Ryco will also warrent your engine if the engine fails due to the oil filter being faulty.

Also ive been told that the ryco filters actually have better filter compenents then the genuine filters. (this was from a toyota rep).

Genuine filters are just as cheap as the oil they put in your car when they do a service at toyota. Dotn waiste you time with them. Get a ryco instead. :)

Edited by SyxXPaC

so which of the genuine filters did you research? The good denso far surpasses the ryco. A couple of years ago there was a difference between the malaysian and Japanese genuine denso filters but now the malaysian are on par with the japanese stuff.

Edited by rollamods

hehe

now im even more confused.

Northy says just grab anything

Sxxypac says Ryco

Rollamods says Genuine Denso Toyota ones.

Given three options i cant even flip a coin. :P

So what does everyone else use?

on my last 9 performance toyota engines I've owned I've only used genuine filters apart from a trial of a K&N filter and never had an issue.

I've seen a ryco break up and clog the oil system on a 1J causing no oil pressure and spun bearings etc.

You do not want a filter on your high-revving 4cyl that could compromise the oil pressure in any way. Last thing you want is a rod out the side of the block like northy.

the last Thai filters I cut up had the same internal design as the Jap ones. The previous ones had different filtering material (5 years ago...)

the last Thai filters I cut up had the same internal design as the Jap ones. The previous ones had different filtering material (5 years ago...)

so is that a good thing or bad thing? :huh:

the japanese denso filters are the best, and with the Thai made filters being the same internal design now, they're also just as good.

the japanese denso filters are the best, and with the Thai made filters being the same internal design now, they're also just as good.

so how do i get a jap made one? Are there any that are still made in Jap?

I just went over to Toyota and picked it up over the counter.

order one from Japan.

But you dont need to when the thai filters are the same design...

To import the jap filters from NZ in bulk they end up about $15ea.

Purolator are good US made filters.

Pick em up on EBay for cheap.

EBay

hey thats near where i live!

maybe i should go buy them and keep them for spare. :P

Edited by neK

• 2 weeks later...

The sportivo oil filter has the same face at the 1ZZ. In the past when there was no 1zz is stock i just used the stivo one with no problems. Its just a tad deeper then the 1zz

Could there be a benefit in using the 2ZZ filter on a 1ZZ, especially an auto that gets its share of hard driving?

just change ur oil more often man, you can DIY, guides available dude! save urself some dosh instead of taking to toyota...

change every 5k

full synth oil ( castrol edge 5w-30 ) - $45 bux

denso oil filter - $20 bux