Stupid question please forgive me

Henstepper

My 09 Aurion has an old fashion cigarette lighter on the dash area plus also a separate 12V port in one of the small center consoles. Am I able to remove the cigarette knob permanently and use it as a spare port for say a dash cam or phone charger? Will anything catch fire?

I am curious after watching this

Edited by Henstepper
  • Like 1

SImple answer is Yes. You can use it provided you use the adapter that came with the device. Always use the Genuine, Original adapter and NOT those cheap Chinese knock off garbage. Use it as intended for the amperage the device is rated for and you'll never have an issue.

I've been using a phone charger and dash cam adapter for years with no issue. Just use the adapter that came with the device you wish to use in the car. 

Scotty's advice was mainly to bring to your attention, not to use cheap adapters and then try and plug laptops into them. That is plain stupid in my books. Chargers and adapters have an amperage rating and if you exceed this, then it will get very hot very quickly and will melt and potentially catch fire.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I have the same in my car. 1 in front of the gear stick and 1 behind it (part of the centre console)...but my front one doesn't work.

If you're going to pull it out, can you attach some pictures on the process? I don't want to brake my dash anymore than Autobarn already has (from installing an aftermarket head unit). 🙂

What's the bet that the cars that wouldn't start because of all the stuff plugged in was due to voltage drain, not EMF...

Forget a grain, Scotty Kilmer videos require a whole silo of salt....

16 minutes ago, Hiro said:

What's the bet that the cars that wouldn't start because of all the stuff plugged in was due to voltage drain, not EMF...

Forget a grain, Scotty Kilmer videos require a whole silo of salt....

I agree. Scotty's video's tend to be largely click bait, and he's unashamedly admitted this a while back. It's to get you in the door and once you're in, you get the straight dope.

EMF is possible for keyless entry issues, but largely I'd say the voltage drain from multiple connected devices seems more logical.

On 8/22/2021 at 1:50 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

I agree. Scotty's video's tend to be largely click bait, and he's unashamedly admitted this a while back. It's to get you in the door and once you're in, you get the straight dope.

EMF is possible for keyless entry issues, but largely I'd say the voltage drain from multiple connected devices seems more logical.

Oh EMF can definitely be an issue for keyless entry, my parents' old SXV10 Camry would have central locking issues if you parked it underneath high-voltage power lines (so you had to open it with the key and then either wait half an hour or put the remote rob in to the glovebox socket to disable the immobiliser) but that would be several orders of magnitude greater than a simple 12V-5V converter.