Hybrid Battery fan Malfunction

OOBOY

Hi, I am interested to know if anyone has had any issues with their Hybrid battery cooling fans! I recently purchased a new 2021 Kluger Hybrid AWD and after less than 1000klms one of these cooling fans malfunctioned. I did extensive research on Toyota's Hybrid technology prior to purchase and did not come across this issue. Currently my vehicle is sitting back at the dealership awaiting a replacement part before it can be driven again. Here's the rub, I have been informed the replacement part could take as long as two months to arrive from Japan. Very interested to hear if anyone else has had any Hybrid issues and what outcomes they had! 

Sorry to hear of the problem . Its bad no replacement in OZ. I am waiting for delivery of a Prado . Most likely 7 months from order but it will be powered by diesel cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OOBOY said:

Hi, I am interested to know if anyone has had any issues with their Hybrid battery cooling fans! I recently purchased a new 2021 Kluger Hybrid AWD and after less than 1000klms one of these cooling fans malfunctioned. I did extensive research on Toyota's Hybrid technology prior to purchase and did not come across this issue. Currently my vehicle is sitting back at the dealership awaiting a replacement part before it can be driven again. Here's the rub, I have been informed the replacement part could take as long as two months to arrive from Japan. Very interested to hear if anyone else has had any Hybrid issues and what outcomes they had! 

It is a very unfortunate set  of circumstances. I can understand why your new vehicle cannot be driven until that faulty cooling fan is replaced. The Forum members will be interested to know what Toyota is doing to help alleviate the situation. Have they given you an acceptable loan vehicle etc.? 

Like yourself, I have not come across this issue except how important it is to keep the cooling intake vents clear and to clean the fan filter. YouTube videos posted by The Car Nut are well worth your viewing time and to heed his advice. 

Hi Ashley, I viewed The Car Nuts YouTube series on Hybrids prior to purchasing my new Kluger and found them informative... and yes no mention of fan failure but a quite bit on filter maintenance. Our local dealer could not be more helpful, providing us with a loan car until the long term rental vehicle was made available today. They placed the order for the replacement part as soon as the problem had been diagnosed but after checking availability informed us lead time could be several months as the part needs to come from Japan. It's a pity spares were not sent along with the initial shipment of new vehicles!

Regards Jeff

• Thanks 1

Hi Jeff, like Ashely I am sorry to hear of that news, had never heard of fan issues for the hybrids so let us know how things progress and what they believed caused the malfunction of the fan to begin with. Glad the dealership is doing all they can to help but the delay would certainly be annoying. I many many years ago worked for Toyota and the spares issue was always just that an issue for anything that required import from Japan, I am sure COVID has made it even tougher but at least they are on it and I hope all is resolved soon mate, just keep us updated

Keep Safe

KAA

20 hours ago, OOBOY said:

Here's the rub, I have been informed the replacement part could take as long as two months to arrive from Japan. Very interested to hear if anyone else has had any Hybrid issues and what outcomes they had! 

I had a heater hose on back order from Japan and Toyota told me that it wouldn't arrive until January next year. That was last month and I said, no wories, as I didn't need it straight away. Two weeks later a Toyota package arrived at my doorstep and inside it was the heater hose. So, I'd take that time frame with a grain of salt and see if it doesn't arrive earlier than stated. They must say this to cover themselves for any worst case scenario. In your eyes, they will look like heroes when the part arrives quicker than expected.

Edited by Tony Prodigy