Alright... now it's my turn to have a problem

I'll describe the problem for you

I turn the car on and it feels like it is going to stall, and has done so on 1 occasion.

I rev the engine a bit so it doesn't stall and the car feels like it's cutting out (losing air?) at 3000 RPM

I call the Dealer to take it down there (5 minutes down the road) and on the way there the car contantly fools like it is going to cut out and I have to drive it betwenn 2000 and 3000 RPM

I get to the dealer and find that while I was being switched from person to person they transferred me to the sister dealership and Albian Park (25 minutes away) and the service department had just closed up (12:30pm on Sat) and no one was there to do the diagnostic.

What I want to know, is this just an Air/Fuel problem that a simple ECU reset will solve or should I wait until Monday?

Any clues guys? The car ran fine last night with no indications of any problems. Just today I have this issue.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's what I thought Danz... cheers, just looking for clarification... I just thought it wierd that it was running fine last night but this morning I have the problem.

Also check that your rubber elbow on your CAI is tight and has no splits or damage in it. Also check that the maf plug is clipped in tight and isn't loose. :D Check your VSV valve as well.

MAF - Mass Air Flow - sensor... plugs into the air intake (stock it is next to the airbox) measures air movement into the throttle body

VSV is another valve that measures air stuff (I'm not entirely sure how that one works)

hey iv had a similar problem but this is what happens:

i fill up with fuel and once iv done 50km the engine light comes on then once it reaches 3/4 it goes off but the car feels normal as in no cutting out or anything!!

Anyone have a take on this?

Could it be that the fuel is crap? cos im using caltex vortex 98

hey there it happen to me a few months back . check you air box theres a white ram tube that connect to the back of the air flow meter some time it can vibrate off and sent the air flow meter in to hey wirer mode just push it back on if you have any probs just give me a tngle 0412964183 cheers jason

nah, man... It was all sweet after meeting you.

I think it may be caused by a tiny little hole I have in the filter... not getting a proper vacuum as a result.

the question is, why didn't it happen before, a hole doesn't form by a car sitting in a garage overnight...

the filter is fine, there is no hole, it's just squished in one spot but the integrity of the gause is 100%

I changed back to the stock airbox to see what would happen (and also for Mr Service Manager at Toyota so they cannot say, it's your CAI causing those signals... and leave it at that) but the engine light is still on and it's still idling rough and still gasping with anything more then light acceleration.

I have to try cleaning the MAF sensor now, and while I'm at it I'll clean the intake pipe and the filter too, so they'll go back on good as new :)

anyone have any tips on cleaning the MAF sensor... solvents and solutions to use etc...

I tryed searching but just found a thread about Craig breaking his while cleaning it...

I hope this will fix it as it is all that is left to check...

just get a spray can of contact cleaner and use that, i have cleaned mine few times now with it and it works a treat, and you cant use too much of the stuff either, just soak it and wait till it dries

just get a spray can of contact cleaner and use that, i have cleaned mine few times now with it and it works a treat, and you cant use too much of the stuff either, just soak it and wait till it dries

contact cleaner ???? you mean cleaner for contacts that you wear in your eye ???

hope ya figure it out.

ps. had the same problem with the dealerships,

called the wollongong dealership for the 1k service and when i get there on that day, they tell me im supposed to be in albion park, wasnt a happy camper.

OK, so I have cleaned the MAF, changed back the the stock box and it's still having issues. When the car starts without the engine light off it immediately stalls and then the light comes on next time and it idles fine but has no power. :huh::huh::huh:

I'm trying cleaning the MAF sensor 1 more time and then seeing what happens. :unsure::unsure:

Looks like I'll be paying Toyota another visit tomorrow. :(