How To Color Code Your Socket Set, Wrenches, Ratchet, Cases, Tools

campbeam

I viewed an excellent YouTube video about how to colour code your socket set and thought that it was worthwhile to share.

I also thought that it was worthwhile enough to start implementing immediately so I have just been to KMart and purchased 2 sets of paint markers. One is a 3 pack of mettalic paint markers and the other is a 8 pack paint markers for a total outlay of only $12. 1st step will be to work out my colour scheme and do a few tests on some loose tools before starting on the various sets.

23 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's a good idea Ash. You have no idea how many times I have to squint, turn the stupid socket up the light to try and read what size it is. Can be very frustrating.

I had someone with OCD in mind when I created this thread.😁 Unfortunately the paint markers that I bought have a 3mm tip and I have not been able to achieve the same results as the YouTube presenter. Instead of raising my OCD levels and buying finer tip markers, I have done a workaround of painting the number on the side of the metric sockets with a colour band around the mid-section. For the black plastic case, I have highlighted the area of the raised socket sizes using the silver metallic paint pen. 

A related frustration can be readily identifying the battery terminals. Red paint marker was used for the +ve terminal indicator and green paint marker for the -ve terminal indicator. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, campbeam said:

I had someone with OCD in mind when I created this thread.😁

Hahaha, guilty as charged 😄

I had the idea to purchase some Tamiya model paint to restore the silk screening on some automotive dash pieces for my Ford resto project. For example, the indicator stalk for the Ford Falcons, XB, XC,XD,XE all share the same style of blinker/horn combo where the white silk screened parts tend to wear off over time with continuous use. 
A good thing is that there is a slight indentation in the plastic where the white colouring is placed and not just merely painted over a smooth surface like some are.
Tamiya have a huge range of professional hobbyist level, paints, thinners, primers and brushes for the most intricate applications for their model building kits.

I looked into this a bit and did end up purchasing a range of items to be able to carry out a proper resto on all the bits I have that need work. I was especially impressed with the fine point paint brushes they supply too. These will help fill the indentations with colour without going outside the lines for that factory perfect look.

Of course, the same procedure can also be applied here to sockets too. Most sockets have their sizes stamped into the metal which it perfect for this idea. Using an enamel based paint, you could use the Tamiya system to paint each socket. You'd just need to choose the colour you'd like and apply them.
In this case, I only purchased "White", but I can buy other colours later. They are pretty cheap and will work a treat, when carefully applied.

I would clean all the sockets first with a decent solvent, like general purpose thinners, then apply the paint. 

This will be a nice little job to look forward too in the coming months. I'll be sure to revisit this thread.

• Like 1

Very neat solution although I wouldn't benefit from it for most of my sockets (all my regular 12-point Cr-V sockets and most of my short impacts) as they sit vertically in the tray, could still be useful for when I have a couple lying on the ground next to me especially if they are close in size (hard to confuse a 10mm for a 17mm for instance).