Repainting Chrome Grill

Hi all, So the Chrome Custom Grill on my lady "Faye" is showing bad signs of her age and pitting marks all over her pretty face, I am thinking about repainting her to either a Matt Black or Satin Black as I do not want a gloss finish with all the black trim being that matt satin look. I am thinking about using Rust Oleum for my paint selection and depending on what finish the matching Clear to finish it off. Has anyone had good results with repainting over the Chrome Grills? and what did you use? Some have said to me to try the Plasti-Dip but not sure how long it would last so any suggestions are welcome ..besides replacing the damn thing as they want $400 to replace these custom grills so not going there as it is fine except needing a revamp.

Regards

KAA

Hey rob. Sounds like a nice little project for you mate. You're on the right track with the paint product. The main focus is correct prep, which is 90% of the job. Get the prep right and you should be good mate.

I'd advise first to remove the grille from the car, give it a thorough wash and decontamination then scuff the chrome with some Scotchbrite to dull the chrome to a matt finish. Maroon Scotchbrite would be the perfect grit level for this as it's rated for between 320 and 400 grit. You should see no visible scratches in the surface. You just need to dull the surface for maximum adhesion. If you have any pitting or stone chips, you could just use automotive filler to spot fill these. I could also recommend an etch primer first, but in this case I don't think it's needed. The Rust oleum product combines a primer of sorts and judging from the reviews I've read, it seems to be quite durable. Being oil based it should have good durability.

After you're done scuffing, wash and wipe down surfaces with some acetone or wax and grease remover. Whichever you have. Mask off the area you don't want painted with painters tape and paint with colour of choice.

For a superior result, I'd seal the satin black with a clear coat. Rustoleum also have a Satin Clear coat spray paint. This one.

Over time, the bare satin black can etch and be more susceptible to marring and will be more noticeable, but if it's sealed with clear coat, this will be vastly diminished and you could take advantage of using your favourite paint sealant that will preserve the finish well.

Post up some pics of your DIY if you can. Best of luck, I know you won't need it, I'm sure. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tony, yes a nice easy project to keep me out of the house and can take my time doing it right, I have all the Rust Oleum Paints and Clear coats listed as they were short of stock for quite a while but now seem to be getting back on the shelves again at Bunnings also have the Scotchbrite already as I used them a while back to make something for my beloved come back to life again also have lots of fine grit wet and dry sand paper if required. No really deep scratch marks just loads of pitting all over it so should be an easy fix. I also looked at the Rust Oleum Black trim and Bumper spray but it is like $5 more a can than the normal Rust Oleum Sprays so cant really see the value that way, Thanks again Detail God you always come through.

Stay Safe and Strong My Friend

Robert

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KAA said:

Thanks Tony, yes a nice easy project to keep me out of the house and can take my time doing it right, I have all the Rust Oleum Paints and Clear coats listed as they were short of stock for quite a while but now seem to be getting back on the shelves again at Bunnings also have the Scotchbrite already as I used them a while back to make something for my beloved come back to life again also have lots of fine grit wet and dry sand paper if required. No really deep scratch marks just loads of pitting all over it so should be an easy fix. I also looked at the Rust Oleum Black trim and Bumper spray but it is like $5 more a can than the normal Rust Oleum Sprays so cant really see the value that way, Thanks again Detail God you always come through.

Stay Safe and Strong My Friend

Robert

You're most welcome mate. Good to see that you have a wider selection of prep items, especially the wet and dry. You can use automotive filler, as we used to call it "bog" for the pits, if that bothers you. If they aren't that noticeable, you could try giving it a hit with a few coats of actual primer filler, then chop that back with some 800 and check. If it levels out ok, then apply the colour/clearcoat.

That bumper paint will probably be ok to use, but's primarily formulated with plastic and rubber adhesion promoters which in your case wouldn't be required as your grille has a chrome plating over it, even though it's going to be scuffed back.

I've never really used spray paint as such back in the day when I was painting cars, as I tended to use the commercial grade stuff where each product had its place, but it gets expensive pretty quickly if you're just doing a couple of small items due to the minimum 1lt size cans available and you'd have to be doing volume work to make it viable to stock up that way. So there's nothing wrong with spray can jobs as long the prep is top notch.

Look forward to the masterpiece :thumbsup:

TY Mate, Yes will put up some Photo's when I get to doing it, I also thought of using the primer and rubbing back even though the Rust Oleum has it included so will see how things look once I remove the grill wash it and rub it back. Faye is getting her service and road worthy next week so will see how that prices out before buying everything from Bunnings. Then a project in place as my lady says she wants too see me sweating LOL told her that her health issues have me sweating enough right now LOL

Thanks again Tony always a pleasure talking with you my friend

Robert

6 hours ago, KAA said:

TY Mate, Yes will put up some Photo's when I get to doing it, I also thought of using the primer and rubbing back even though the Rust Oleum has it included so will see how things look once I remove the grill wash it and rub it back. Faye is getting her service and road worthy next week so will see how that prices out before buying everything from Bunnings. Then a project in place as my lady says she wants too see me sweating LOL told her that her health issues have me sweating enough right now LOL

Thanks again Tony always a pleasure talking with you my friend

Robert

No problem Sir. Have fun with it. 

The women are slave drivers mate. So make it look like you're working 😁

Best wishes for your Missus' health too mate. Hope all is ok.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1