Toyota Aurion TRD Fan Belt problem

I recently noticed A white substance across the top of the engine.

Looks like it's coming off the fan belt, does this mean the fan belt is on the way out?.

Can anyone recommend a good Toyota Mechanic in vic... Berwick area.

Cheers

Joe

Capture.JPG

14 hours ago, Joe 777 said:

Looks like it's coming off the fan belt, does this mean the fan belt is on the way out?.

No. It's normal to have it look the way it does as that's the side that makes contact with the tensioner pulley so there will be witness marks on that outer section of the belt.

I'd inspect the inner ribbed section for any micro cracks. If you see these, THEN it's time to replace it. These serpentine belts are quite robust and are known to last a very long time. How long depends on how the car has been maintained and driven.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

No. It's normal to have it look the way it does as that's the side that makes contact with the tensioner pulley so there will be witness marks on that outer section of the belt.

I'd inspect the inner ribbed section for any micro cracks. If you see these, THEN it's time to replace it. These serpentine belts are quite robust and are known to last a very long time. How long depends on how the car has been maintained and driven.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Unrelated to this post but Tony the bottom left of this photo is another angle of the photo from the "Whats this" thread.

22 hours ago, Joe 777 said:

Can anyone recommend a good Toyota Mechanic in vic... Berwick area.

Cheers

Joe

Capture.JPG

I think that the white substance could possibly be silicone grease from the idler pulleys. This would be applicable if the pulley bearings were repacked with white silicon grease. 

• Like 2

Upon closer inspection of that photo, I do see some spatter of a white substance on the covering. My attention was drawn to the belt as this was your main concern and now looking at it a second time I can see what you mean.

Ashley is correct in that it looks like some grease has been thrown. Not sure what the correct grease is myself, but lithium grease is white but it could be either that or the silicon grease. Whatever is the correct grease specified by the factory, of course.