Reving at start up

Hi all,

I have a 04 Acent and want to know 1stly is it normal to rev to 2200 rpm at start-up without touching the accelerator, and 2ndly if it is normal can you have it reduced down to a lower number. I have a auto.

cheers

Ralph

Im prity sure its normal.

I know with my 06 Corolla Auto when I first start it up in the morning it revs and settles more higher than when im restarting a warm engine.

Ill check tomorrow morning when im going to work and let you know. I didnt pay much attention to the actual revs.

Variable Valve Timing INTELLIGENCE hehe...isn't it awesome. It's small things like that which other manufacturers overlook and toyota and honda don't.

Eg: The Suzuki Swift is VVT...........no Intelligence.

BMW have their VANOS variable valve timing system.

Hey Danz, there was something that BMW missed with one of their models, can't remember which one. All I remember was that if the ECU malfunctioned the timing belt would also go and the motor would go kablamee.

BMW have their VANOS variable valve timing system.

Hey Danz, there was something that BMW missed with one of their models, can't remember which one. All I remember was that if the ECU malfunctioned the timing belt would also go and the motor would go kablamee.

normal - once u select a gear it will drop to 1500 or so .. i usually wait for my revs to drop down a bit while im in neutral so i know the engine is warm before moving

Mine sounds like its gona stall and then all of sudden it just kicks in to about 2000 or just under..

this only happens in the winter though...in the summer its normal...

my car is garaged at night....so helps with the temp...

All corollas and many toyotas do this. Many Hondas do it as well, It part of their LEV (Lean Emission Vehicle) system.

The engine idles fast to warm up the cat/converter quickly, to further lower emissions.

It is not adjustable, unless your good with the ECU.

I don't know of anyone who has done this.

It's normal...

All EFI Toyota's rev higher during cold start up... It's done to lessen the time it takes to warm the engine up...

well there u have it!

It's normal...

All EFI Toyota's rev higher during cold start up... It's done to lessen the time it takes to warm the engine up...

That will do me then, thanks for all the replies. :D