Speakers recommendations?

Jimz

I've got an Alpine Head unit powering my stock speakers. It sounds pretty good, but is lacking some bass.

I just want to swap the factory speakers for something better, and preferably the same size so I can just pop them in.

any recommendations?

Cheers,

Jimz

I'm not planning to install an amp atm, so I'm just after something that can go well with my HU (only have 25W RMS, but it enough power for me).

Also money wise I'm looking to spend around 400 (for the 4 speakers)

I am thinking whether I should go and just get a set of good quality 6.5" splits (around 200-300) and then get an amp later...

what do you guys think?

What space is at the rear?

I hear 7x10's give you great bass from Err JVC I think.

Fronts I used MB quart they are ok, see what the sensitivity of them is, the more sensitive the less power to drive them ;)

If you're spending that sort of money,

get Focal splits... im not sure how much they cost, but im guessing about that much... the focal polykevlar splits are VERY highly rated...

also boston speakers are sexual (was going to get some, but budget wouldnt allow it), and MB QUartz are the other brand i'd recommend...

if you decide you want splits and want to go a high performing budget brand, check out the jaycar response kevlar splits... they sound like they should suck, but they are actually REALLY decent sounding speakers for $150... some even rate them as highly as the high end brands... i've got a set, so you can call me biased, but i bought them after heaps of trialling in store and reading reviews... they had a better quality to price ratio :P

I've been very happy with the Eclipse range of speakers and subs.. Might want to give them a listen as well, Northfield Car Sounds stock them, they also got Focal and Alpine so you can compaire for what sound you like best (ask them to run it without an amp as well for a better idea how it will sound for you) :D

I've been very happy with the Eclipse range of speakers and subs.. Might want to give them a listen as well, Northfield Car Sounds stock them, they also got Focal and Alpine so you can compaire for what sound you like best (ask them to run it without an amp as well for a better idea how it will sound for you) :D

thanks that's a great idea! :)

Lets go back a step.

What size stock speakers do the Corolla's have front and rear?

I'm not keen on hackin up my door trims or using build outs, so I need direct replacements!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Lets go back a step.

I'm not keen on hackin up my door trims or using build outs, so I need direct replacements!

I've think it's 6.5" for the front, but not sure about the size for the rear.

Lets go back a step.

I've think it's 6.5" for the front, but not sure about the size for the rear.

5 1/4" or 13cm for the rears. Doesn't necessarily mean you can't fit bigger size though.

My advice to you Jimz, would be to go and have a listen to as different brands and types as possible (within your budget of course). Everyone has different listening styles and things along those lines. Focals may sound like the best to me but may sound like the worst to you... if you catch my drift ;)

I think that is correct 6.5" for fround and about 5 1/4" for the rear...

Another thing to keep an eye out for is depth of the speakers, from memory the front windows normaly misses most of the speakers magnets, can't remember about the back... but if you are getting really chunky speakers keep it in mind that you will still need to check if depth will be ok as well...

You can also make a frame for the speaker that will raise it a bit and you can close off the back of the speaker incase of water comming in... just some things to think off.

Cheers

FB

I'm looking at Focal Access 165 a1 for the front .. it's within my budget.. and it's pretty decent...

I've seen some pair on ebay for cheap..

any comments?

Focal make great speakers... Focal and Eclipse are my choice :-)

The Focals I wanted where more then the Eclipse hence why I did not go for them, I am not too sure about the exact model though :(

But if you bid for them, run down to the local car shot and give them a listen without an amp... I'm sure they will sound good but work a listen as I find speakers to be a very personal thing... It's all about what sound you like! :P

Cheers

FB

well i dunno much about car audio.but myself going to install 6.5" splits Vifa, and pioneer as rear speakers and SPL amp.actually i bought these back from my home country coz it'll be cheaper there and the guy said the Vifa speakers are one of the best speakers range atm....im not sure whether its true or not but i'll have to listen to it once i install it.^_^ btw, have u guys heard of these Vifa speakers?

well i dunno much about car audio.but myself going to install 6.5" splits Vifa, and pioneer as rear speakers and SPL amp.actually i bought these back from my home country coz it'll be cheaper there and the guy said the Vifa speakers are one of the best speakers range atm....im not sure whether its true or not but i'll have to listen to it once i install it.^_^ btw, have u guys heard of these Vifa speakers?

alpine type r! i got them last week :)

good stuff!