Yes ANOTHER fuel consumption post !! Just an observation though.

STEVES ATX

Yes I know this topic has been covered ad-nauseum already & I have read all the posts regarding it, so I dont expect a reply.

I dont care about fuel consumption, never have. I have always believed you pay for power - I have always had 6 or 8 cyl cars.

Anyway, it was my wife who brought up the subject of how she is putting more fuel in our Aurion (2016 ATX) more frequently than our previous Falcon BF XR6.

She does most of the driving & re-fuelling. The XR6 always seemed to average 13-14L p/100km.

The same sort of driving, as in where we go (in & around the suburbs of Melb), in the Aurion, is showing 15-16L p/100km. Same fuel, similar prices, same speeds etc etc...

The only thing I can think of is the Falcon 4L is a lazier engine & revs (& idles) less for the speeds we are driving at. It is a more low down torque motor. 

The Aurion almost "invites" you to put your foot down to feel its addictive power, where the Falcon you cant really feel anything !

Saying this though, I did get 7.5L p/100km on a country highway trip when we first got it - just cruising, nice long flat roads & hwys, not much traffic etc..

Really though, who cares. An extra $3-$4 per/100km (possibly $300-400 p/year) - I can live with that.

Recently drove to Rockhampton.. 09' Presara, got the consumption down to 7.2 ltrs per 100klms.. thats on 95 Ron, at a steady 100kph. Around town, it does about 10 ltrs per 100. I just idle around town mostly, and take it easy.

Never had an issue about my cars consumption, I think for a 6 cylinder, it does exceedingly well..🤔

18 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

Recently drove to Rockhampton.. 09' Presara, got the consumption down to 7.2 ltrs per 100klms.. thats on 95 Ron, at a steady 100kph. Around town, it does about 10 ltrs per 100. I just idle around town mostly, and take it easy.

Never had an issue about my cars consumption, I think for a 6 cylinder, it does exceedingly well..🤔

Yes, Big Mike. The V6 is a masterpiece of engineering. All that low down torque contributes to the effortless drive and if you have right foot sympathy and can drive it smoothly, it will reward you. 

I can't imagine a world without it, now that the enviro nazis are getting their way infiltrating our Govt's telling car companies to reduce emissions, axing V8's and V6's in favour of turbo charged 4 cylinder's.

Imagine an Aurion or a Prado with a 4 cyl ?? What about a Landcruiser ?

This is the slow death of the internal combustion engine. They're giving us turbo charged unreliability to fill the power void yet reduce emissions ? I can't see how a turbo charged 4 cyl can have that much less emissions than a stock V6. 

I'm sure they have all the answers..

That's ok , I guess. We have no control over it...
Or do we ??? 😜

When my 351 Cleveland Powered XD falcon is resurrected, I'm going to put all those emissions back which were taken 😄😄😄

• Like 2

Tony Prodigy I agree, it's a great drive and motor in our Aurions.. and as far as electric cars go, I'd prefer to take a bus or train than drive one of those characterless silent fakes. I'll be driving this Presara till they drag me from the steering wheel..lol. 46 cars In my life, 90% were 6 cylinders or 8's.. had plenty of 4 cylinder cars, but I always ended up selling them for more power, as I hate overtaking on a highway with a 4, and ****ting my pants, if it's going to kill me....😝

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 10:22 AM, STEVES ATX said:

Yes I know this topic has been covered ad-nauseum already & I have read all the posts regarding it, so I dont expect a reply.

I dont care about fuel consumption, never have. I have always believed you pay for power - I have always had 6 or 8 cyl cars.

Anyway, it was my wife who brought up the subject of how she is putting more fuel in our Aurion (2016 ATX) more frequently than our previous Falcon BF XR6.

She does most of the driving & re-fuelling. The XR6 always seemed to average 13-14L p/100km.

The same sort of driving, as in where we go (in & around the suburbs of Melb), in the Aurion, is showing 15-16L p/100km. Same fuel, similar prices, same speeds etc etc...

The only thing I can think of is the Falcon 4L is a lazier engine & revs (& idles) less for the speeds we are driving at. It is a more low down torque motor. 

The Aurion almost "invites" you to put your foot down to feel its addictive power, where the Falcon you cant really feel anything !

Saying this though, I did get 7.5L p/100km on a country highway trip when we first got it - just cruising, nice long flat roads & hwys, not much traffic etc..

Really though, who cares. An extra $3-$4 per/100km (possibly $300-400 p/year) - I can live with that.

It could also be something as stupid as the car preferring one brand of fuel over another.

Whilst this isn't regularly mentioned, some car brands seem to dislike certain brands of fuel.

My previous car being an 05 Corolla sedan, and my current MY17 Camry RZ seem to hate "7/11" a.k.a Mobile fuel,

But both run really well on BP fuel first and foremost, followed by Shell.

Yes both use the same base fuel, but in the city they are not the same fuels (each having their own unique herbs and spices additive package)

Fuel contamination is my biggest worry. You don't know who's running the shop sometimes and tank maintenance may be lacking. Water ingress and other forms of contamination can enter those huge underground tanks and mix with the fuel. The dregs of the tank can end up in your car without you even suspecting it and it's hard to know when the tanks are full, half or low. Avoiding the low tanks is a lucky dip. 

For me personally, i've had all the fuel types in my Aurion, from E10, unleaded, 95 and 98 and the car ran just fine with them all.

On the other hand, the only fuel I ever use or have used in my M3 is BP 98. Something about their fuel seems to agree with that car. Never had an issue in my 15 years of ownership with that car.

• Like 1