Recommended engine overhaul kit?

Dimetrodon

Hey all, new here. I have a 1989 Hilux LN106 2.8 3L that has excessive crankcase pressure & bad blow-by and just completed a complete tear down of the engine. Now time to rebuild.

My cylinders currently have sleeves/liners in them, does anyone know if this is stock for the 1989 LN106 2.8 3L? If not, then I’m assuming one of the previous owners overhauled the engine as well. My Max Ellery manual doesn't mention anything about sleeved cylinders. My machinist says it’s cheaper to bore out the sleeves than to pull them (he would have to make a tool to pull out that specific sleeve).

I see many overhaul kits online, but are there recommendations out there for where to pick up a quality complete overhaul rebuild kit w/oversized pistons? Thanks in advance!

Liners are standard fitment, Before you do anything take the block to a REPUTABLE engine rebuilder and get them to check the bore. It might only need a new set of rings if the bore shows no signs of excessive wear, taper. Easy as, Buy a VRS kit, has all the gaskets, seals, shout it a new set of Mains and Big end bearings, valve stem seals and it will see another 500,000km.👍

To remove the liners requires a puller or press, you will need to weigh up the odds

Edited by CONROD
spelling
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...