Getting a 99 CSX Camry into remote programming mode

Magnus

I just brought a 99 Camry for my son. 2 of the 3 one-button remotes that came with it have dead batteries and, after taking one apart, I noticed they were soldered to the circuit board, so replacing battery is not an option (solder won't stick to a 2032 battery). I purchased a spare remote on Ebay, but can't get the car to go into programming mode to add it.

I've tried the method provided by the seller, also referenced here, turn key on/off 3 times, leave in On and the Security light should turn on, indicating programming mode. This doesn't happen, Security light stays off (and programming fails). So does following the instructions in the manual to re-sync a remote (turn key on, press the remote button to sync, and turn the ignition off).

I've also tried other options found on the internet, mostly from the US, involving opening and closing the door a few times, putting key in and out of the ignition, operating the door lock on/off 5 times, etc, in various combinations, but none of them work either.

Has anyone found a way to get the 99 CSX Camry into programming mode? Or does it have to be done by a locksmith/Toyota dealer?

Edited by Magnus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

I've just posted a tutorial for programming a new OEM remote for a 99 Camry.

A couple of things to consider...

Some of the non-OEM transmitters on Amazon or ebay are learning transmitters and need a working transmitter to learn from. These remotes should come with instructions for learning the frequency of the working remote.

The OEM transmitter has a set frequency which the car's onboard computer must programme and store. Refer to the tutorial for how to do that.

Also you can buy CR2032 batteries with terminals from Jaycar. Modifying and soldering is necessary.

Hope that helps.