2016 SR5 LHS indicators not working

B-Tatts

Hey, chasing some guidance. My LHS indicators won’t work on my 2016 SR5 hilux. I’ve checked all fuses and the earthing point. I’ve pulled indicator bulb from the front and checked it, swapped my rear LED taillights over to check them, all ok. My electrical testing has led me back to the plug on the instrument cluster.. it doesn’t seem to be putting power out to the LHS indicators. Has anyone else had this problem? 

An electrical diagram would be helpful in this case, but I don't think that's the issue at the cluster itself. All that would be is the indicator display. Your issue may stem back to the indicator stalk where the electrical contacts reside. If the contacts don't "make" then you'll have a break in electrical activity. 

You say LHS, so I'm assuming the RHS still works right ? If so, then the relay is ok, which then leads me to believe the stalk is potentially the issue.

Are you able to test the indicator stalk ? It's also possible the pins could be loose. Try disconnecting and reconnecting before anything.

Hey @Tony Prodigy

I have the wiring diagrams and have done point to point testing. The indicator stalk appears to be giving the correct signals to the instrument cluster, then out of the cluster I get no signal for the LHS. The 2016+ hilux models appear to have moved away from flasher relays and works off the instrument cluster from what I can tell? 

I've attached the wiring diagram. You want pages 547 - 554

Hilux Electrical Wiring Diagrams.pdf

3 hours ago, B-Tatts said:

The indicator stalk appears to be giving the correct signals to the instrument cluster, then out of the cluster I get no signal for the LHS.

It looks like the issue may well be the cluster not outputting the signal after all. If you follow the the Y cable out of the meter combination assy, it feeds to the various LH indicators front, side and rear, then ends with the earth.

I'm not familiar with these modern clusters myself, but it could be a dodgy trace on the meter or a component failure. It's not clear what component gives the signal, but there appears to be a CPU of sorts. You mentioned that you checked the grounds but I'd recheck them again just to be sure.

How much would a replacement cluster be ? Have you started canvassing the idea of just getting a spare ? 

Or, if you know someone with the same car, you can swap them and see if this cures the issue on yours and puts the issue on theirs.

Hey @Tony Prodigy I sure have started looking. It appears there's quite a few different meter clusters for the various Hilux models. So could be tricky to trace one. I have the car booked in with an auto sparky next week to see what they find. I'm hoping they have the resources available to bench test or swap out the instrument cluster. fingers crossed! 

In the meantime, I am jerry rigging up some dodgy trailer lights to work as indicators on a flasher relay so I can drive the car around... Haha. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those playing at home.. it turned out to be a crushed wiring loom halfway along under the car, right under long rang fuel tank. Such a pain, and wasn't cheap. All good now. 

15 hours ago, B-Tatts said:

it turned out to be a crushed wiring loom halfway along under the car, right under long rang fuel tank

How did you manage that ? Nobody would ever guess that right ?