1-Piece Brake Rotor?

Joel4965

Hi,

I purchased a lovely Hiace Commuter recently and was advised to replace the Rotors. So I Bought some rotors from supercheap, and removed the old ones from the vehicle.

I'm a little startled though, as the old ones seem to be one-piece. Am I dealing with a rotor that has a built-in rotor hat or hub assembly? I've attached 2x images, the old with the yellow highliting that it seems to be one piece and the new on the plastic. There is no seam on the old. I've looked at the workshop manual, and tons of videos but the one-piece doesn't seem to be standard.

Model: TOYOTA HIACE RZH125R 2.4L 2RZ-E SOHC 8v MPFI 4cyl Bus 5sp Man RWD [01/98 - 12/04]

382718305_1141296683941602_4902862593205184269_n (3).png

13.jpg

Edited by Joel4965

Hi again, Joel.

Apart from being told that you should replace the rotors, what is wrong with them? do you have brake shudder, or are the rotors too thin, i.e. beyond their wear limit?

If there are no symptoms of rotor problems I would clean the old ones and reuse them. Maybe new brake pads. As the hubs have come off you have disturbed the bearings, so clean them thoroughly, pack them with a bearing grease and reinstall them. 

Herb

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 5:38 PM, ozieagle said:

Hi again, Joel.

Apart from being told that you should replace the rotors, what is wrong with them? do you have brake shudder, or are the rotors too thin, i.e. beyond their wear limit?

If there are no symptoms of rotor problems I would clean the old ones and reuse them. Maybe new brake pads. As the hubs have come off you have disturbed the bearings, so clean them thoroughly, pack them with a bearing grease and reinstall them. 

Herb

G'day herb, a mechanic recommended that new rotors be installed as part of getting the RW Certificate, along with front brakes. ThankfuIly, I got there in the end. I wasn't able to test the old ones to see if they were shuddering or anything as I had a new clutch installed, before-hand. I've kept the old rotors, so I will measure them up. Thank you for your response.

Joel.