MAF sensor cleaning

cam6

My old Kluger (2006) is drinking a lot of petrol. More than it used to. It’s been slowly getting worse, so I thought I would clean the throttle body and the MAF sensor and see what difference that made. I’ve put into the search bar “MAF sensor cleaning“ and variations of that (To get any clues.) without luck. It either comes up zero results, or just a whole list of things about cleaning this or that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks, John

Edited by cam6

Step 1: Buy can of MAF sensor cleaner or electrical contact cleaner from Superepcobarn.

Step 2: Unplug MAF sensor and remove from vehicle (usually just two small screws)

Step 3: Clean sensor with cleaner as directed

Step 4: Re-install.

Thanks Hiro.  But I don’t even know where the MAF is. So what I wanted to know, was where it is, how to get it out without running into dramas., Anything to look for before cleaning it etc. I figured somebody has probably put up a post on this subject. So, if anybody can give me a bit of basic bit by bit instruction, or, tell me where I can find the post in here I’d appreciate it. Thanks, John.

I'm not familiar with the engine in your car but the MAF is often found on or around the airbox towards the engine side usually screwed in with 2 screws and a cable you can unplug. Unscrewing the 2 screws is enough to just pull the sensor out. 

I posted pictures of the 3.3 other variations should be around the same location as far as I know.

image.png.e1a024164361e7bad6e30fd36f89a4a8.png

Thanks very much Chris. My car has the 3.3 engine same as in the photo. When I pull out the MAF is there anything I should be looking for, before I hit it with cleaner ? (eg when pulling out spark plugs I would always have a look at them for indication of what the engine was like)    Or just go ahead and spray it ?   Thanks John

It's either dirty or it's not, I'd just go ahead and clean it and hope for the best personally. If the fuel consumption stays the same I'd try narrow it down to other potential issues.

Edited by Baxter190388