DVD HOME THEATRE HELP

Azza

I am currently looking around for a new DVD Home Theatre and want to know if anybody is aware of a DVD Home Theatre System available here in Australia that uses a DVD Recorder as opposed to a DVD Player.

I had heard Panasonic did one but am unable to find any info on it.

Please only post info on it, this is not a whoring topic...

I'd asked around at a couple of retailers and the best response I got was .... "mmm, I think Panasonic do one....."

Everything I have seen in stores and on the internet though have DVD Players, not recorders...

the other option is you can buy a DVD recorder, and you can then buy one of those "amp/receiver + speaker" packages as well... thats how i did mine. i also wanted a dvd recorder in my home theatre and i figured that was the easier way to go than to search through all of the "home theatre in a box" packages...

in other news, i have a SONY DVD recorder for sale if you want it... it was a very good one when i bought it, i think it was either 12 or 18 months ago. i've hardly used it (i watch all my dvds through my laptop, cos its the one thats always plugged into my projector). PM me if you want details.

Just reading the local paper and there it was.

LG Home Theatre System, featuring in-built DVD recorder and powerful 5.1 channel surround sound speakers. $649 save $150

At Clive Peeters Sale ends 5pm Sunday.

Hey Aaron,

There are heaps of manufacturers out there that make Standalone DVD-Recorders. That's what you're after yeah?

Toshiba, Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, LG, Samsung, Philips, etc. Then you got your budget brand stuff like Orion, XMS, Liteon, etc.

Nowadays they also come with built in Hard Drives (80gb, 120gb, 160gb 250gb, ever larger are avail) which lets you record so much more :D

I use a Pioneer one with 80gb hard drive myself. It's quality is non compariable to the budget stuff that I first had years ago. But hey, I guess it comes down to your budget in the end :)

Hey guys...

Trev, I saw the LG one last night at JB's then at Harvey Norman. Man, talk about sales people either not knowing poop or not caring.

The dude at JB's showed me the thing and kept trying to steer me away from it and tell me that it's not worth it and like all other all-in-one machines that if one componant breaks, then you lose everything raa raa raa, but then tried to sell me a $2000 amp/reciever with a $2000 set of speakers. HELLO - THIS DOESN'T FULFIL MY DVD RECORDER REQUIREMENT. Then he never listened when I told him that I watch like one DVD every 4 months and the main purpose of the theatre is for show....

The fella at Harvey's said that the all-in-one idea was a great feature, however he has not been confident selling LG gear of late as he has felt that their quality has decreased.

RESULT - I think I am going to make do with the Philips reciever I have now. It is only a 5 Channel (No Sub) but it is Pro-Logic and isn't too bad. Then I will get a stand alone DVD recorder. I don't really need the HDD in it, cause thats what the PC is for with the VCR hooked up to it.

Cheers fella's....

put a DVD burner in your PC Azza... problem solvered!!! :P

But seriously.... get a digital reveiver/amplifier that has the Dolby/DVS etc decoder in it rather then the DVD player/recorder. Make sure that is has an optical input as this runs off the DVDs raw sound informations where as the AV already alters the aound a little. The Digital amp can be used to run as a multi media hub very easilly with DVD, TV, PS2, X-Box, PC all running through the system and it keeps everything nice and organised.

The only problem I see now is do the optical cables run 2 ways? ie is there an optical input on the DVD-R and output on the Amplifier as this would be ideal :)