Best price on a brand new Yaris Sedan? $22,900 Driveaway expensive?

neK

what you have described is standard practise for dealers, I picked up 2 Yaris's on the weekend for new work cars and we would have gone through the same thing had i not known the sales guy. If you really think that you were bent over by the dealer give Toyota Australia a call and lodge a complaint you might end up with a free service or somthing similar.

Corey

[\quote]Trade ins are one area where a lot of car buyers lose heaps of money for a few reasons. The main one is that they don't haggle on the trade in price. The first offer given for a trade in is always less than what the dealer actually values it at.

Yeah a good example of this would be when I traded-in my 2000 Astra CD for the 1998 CSi Camry. The Camry was selling for $11,990 and they valued the Astra at "around" $11,000. But they ended up giving it to me on a clean swap, because that's all I was interested in. Anyway, the point is that I drove past the dealership one day and saw that they had put a price tag of $15,980 on the Astra! Which is about the same as what we paid for it in the first place!!!

So that goes to show how much dealers steal from people! The funny thing is that prior to all this, every dealer told me that the Astra wouldn't be worth anything close to $16k! But that won't stop them from selling it for that much will it!!!

Car salesmen = lying scum

The price the dealer sells your trade in for will always be more than they give you.

The reason for this is that dealers have to sell used cars with some sort of warranty, they usually do a full mechanical check and clean the car inside and out, and they want to make a profit on everything they sell. They are a business after all, not a charity service.

They also advertise the car for more than they expect to sell it for to allow for some haggling, the same as people who sell their car privately do (or should do!).

If you do your research using Red Book or the Glass Guide it will give you an idea of how much they should offer you for the trade in, and what the dealer will try to sell it for. If the dealer offers way less than this either haggle over the trade in price, or go somewhere else.

Just remember when buying a car it is the changeover price that is most important, not what they give you for the trade in.

If you really think that you were bent over by the dealer give Toyota Australia a call and lodge a complaint you might end up with a free service or somthing similar.

Corey

t

I've no doubt it was unethical. A deposit taken on a car with agreed upon inclusions for an agreed upon car, clarifying things and agreeing to sign papers the next day on the car deal negotiated. If they had not backed down so quickly I would have done more. Provided there are no more problems before the car arrives I just want to move on and let other people know....and I am definitely letting people know.

I've no doubt it was unethical. A deposit taken on a car with agreed upon inclusions for an agreed upon car, clarifying things and agreeing to sign papers the next day on the car deal negotiated. If they had not backed down so quickly I would have done more. Provided there are no more problems before the car arrives I just want to move on and let other people know....and I am definitely letting people know.

It is a shame that there are still sales people like this, even at large new car dealerships. It is the sort of shonky thing normally associated with used car salesmen.

In hindsight all you could really have done is get the dealer to either fax or email a written confirmation of the deal to you so you have it in writing.

In hindsight all you could really have done is get the dealer to either fax or email a written confirmation of the deal to you so you have it in writing.

Thanks for posting Borg. Given they backed off so quickly, I suspect they knew they were wrong and wanted to avoid a complaint with Fair Trading.

Yeah they do have to check, service and clean a car before they sell it so that's one good reason why they sell it for more. It's just their attitudes I don't like, and you always feel like they're trying to con you.

Anyway, after this car I'm only buying new!

Yeah they do have to check, service and clean a car before they sell it so that's one good reason why they sell it for more. It's just their attitudes I don't like, and you always feel like they're trying to con you.Anyway, after this car I'm only buying new!

This is so true Zeus. Why is it so hard for so many car salesmen to act like decent human beings rather than shady, lying parasites. No wonder they are respected about as much as politicians.

It is so good to find a decent salesman, and when you do it is a pleasure to recommend them to family and friends. They are far more common in new car dealerships, but you still do find "bad eggs" there as well. I get greater pleasure in making sure everyone knows about them, especially when it comes time to fill in the customer satisfaction surveys.

I can't believe them sometimes! Last month I was just walking past a Toyota dealer, and two of the salesmen standing out the front were looking at me like I was some sort of criminal!

As for buying or trading cars in future, it's best to ignore what they say and be very careful about choosing. Ask difficult questions etc.

• 2 months later...
*** I hate rude carsalesmen!!! I've only really met one nice guy at a dealer called Cornes Toyota here in SA. He was really nice and didn't try and push me into anything and actually seemed to care about what I wanted.

Anyway I too plan to buy something like a Yaris (or whatever it will be in the near future). So the Yaris sedan is more than the hatch? If I were you I'd have a look on carsales.com.au for some of the best prices. And don't trade-in the car you've already got! The dealer will give you f**k all for it. I'd sell it privately, then you'd get twice as much than a dealer would give you. THEN, use that money to put on the Yaris and get the rest on finance or whatever. Sorry to sound like an f**k if that's what you already planed to do, but that's exactly what I plan to do.

I bought my yaris at Cornes Toyota last year and had an unexpectedly positive experience. I had been haggling between 5 Adelaide dealerships and Cornes was the ONLY dealership that treated me decently. Like you, i would recommend them.

Once i got down to my lowest price (excluding extras; i was leaving that as my last bargaining tool), i rang a broker in Sydney who negotiated a cheaper price along with all the extras i wanted (headlight covers; floor mats; mud flaps; scuff guards & both weather shields). I ended up paying $17,705 for a 2006 yr auto metallic blue 3 door hatch. The broker was the best $200 i've spent when buying a major purchase. Dealers love women....they try their best to intimidate and rip them off.

I felt very vulnerable being a female buyer...and not without cause. i had one dealership behave very unethically by trapping my in an office with the manage sitting in front of me and the salesman sitting behind me pressuring me to sign on the dotted line immediately. they would not give me a price to negotiate with. obviously i didn't buy from them. this bullying tactic went on for 2 hours.

I had a city toyota dealer behave rudely and i walked away when he refused to negotiate.

for some reason dealers don't understand the term 'ready to buy'...i was buying outright; no trade or finance and wanted their best price and they didn't want to negotiate. i kept getting told to come back when i was ready to buy...helloooooo...if i have the money in the bank; know what i want; then i'm ready to buy!!!

it was an awful experience; two days of haggling that was very stressful.

i'm a tough dealer at the best of times, but i still hated this experience.

my advice; use a car broker.