Best price on a brand new Yaris Sedan? $22,900 Driveaway expensive?

neK

Looking for a Yaris for my mum.... gotta stop her from trading in her Hyundai Accent and buying another Hyundai Accent.

(Godd knows why anyone would wanna buy an Hyundai Accent - Its more expensive than the Yaris buy a few hundred dollars, has the same features and has an extra 2kw over the Yaris, however its 100kg heavier).

Had a really bad experience at Terry Shields Toyota @ Parramatta yesterday, and ill never go back there again.

Asked the salesman about the cost of a Yaris Auto Driveaway, he tells me $22,900.... im thinking this is a bit pricey so i ask him to break down the costs. He breaks down the deal delivery + 3% + metallic paint, all that comes to just under $2000 (i calculated it TWICE with him reading out the figures for me, and he confirms the final additions himself as well).

I ask him how that makes the car $22,900, when the car is advertised on the Toyota website as $19,190 (for Auto), cos by my calculations $19,190 + 2000 = $21,190.

Anyways when quizzed about this, he tells me theres a 3 month wait and that he wouldnt sell any Yaris Sedan for less than $22,000. WTF???? What a fckin cnt.

Anyways, what are the best deals you Yaris buyers have got. Im particularly interested in the Yaris Sedan Auto.

Does anyone here have any special pricing with Toyota (maybe cos you know a particular salesperson or something?)

Edited by neK

hey Ken ..

We have bought 3 toyotas from the same sales guy at Castle hill toyota ...

He is a top bloke ... Ive even referrd 3 mates who have bought from him too ... so he knows me ...

I have all his details and tell me when you go visit .. ill introduce you to him ...

When I bought my Corolla I went to Parramatta Toyota. The salesman I got was the biggest w**ker!

The salesman you had sounds like the same one I had. Did his name start with an "E"?

When I bought my Corolla I went to Parramatta Toyota. The salesman I got was the biggest w**ker!

The salesman you had sounds like the same one I had. Did his name start with an "E"?

Dont know, but he was a rather chubby 45 yo male.... rather arrogant. I just walked out.

go and see my friend Philip at Noble Toyota

sure he can look after you

Thanks for that, ill keep that in mind.

For now to its up to mum to decide which way she wants to go.

So has anyone recently bought a Yaris? In particular the Sedan 1.5?

Edited by neK

Lotsa yaris owners over at www.ozecho.com forums .... www.oztoyota.com/forum.

One member waited over 6 weeks for his Yaris Sedan, and he ordered his just before they were released.

The wait for most Yaris Hatches is anywhere from 1-3 months at present. Id say they told you 3 months to cover themselves.

• 1 year later...

Any dealership will give you a good price on a car they have in stock...

If it's not in stock, then there's not much they can do about waiting for one to arrive...

Your best bet would be to call all the dealers around your area (or how far you're willing to travel) and see if any of them have one in stock...

If not, then you'll have to wait...

OR

You could check used sedans for sale??? Might be able to pick one up with 5 or 10,000kms...

Which salesman you were talking to?

I got my Corolla at parra and i was lucky to be treated by the best salesman, working out a best deal in town. And that nice bloke is the TRD salesman now named on trd site. So i suggest you walk back in Terry Shields and look for Gene. He'll take care of you.

I believe theres a few idiots in that store when i went there and my salesman was not in. But i believe all stores are like that, its just a matter of luck. And pick a friendly guy when u walk in to a dealer.. LOL. funny you had to pick your car and pick up salesman, but thats the way how it works if you want a deal

Edited by sugizo_esp

• 5 weeks later...
I am interested in what prices people have paid recently for the Yaris Auto sedan- we test drove it today. I saw Borg bought one recently. I see also that people are recommending Castle Hill Toyota.

$20,500 for a YRS auto sedan.

I am interested in what prices people have paid recently for the Yaris Auto sedan- we test drove it today. I saw Borg bought one recently. I see also that people are recommending Castle Hill Toyota.

Thanks so much for replying Borg. It really helps me know what is in the ballpark as I negotiate.

Thanks so much for replying Borg. It really helps me know what is in the ballpark as I negotiate.

Before my family bought a Corolla, we were going to see whether we should opt for a Yaris sedan instead. However, out of 2 dealers we went to, both of them did not have a Yaris sedan in the showroom.

I think there may indeed be a long waiting time for a Yaris sedan.

Before my family bought a Corolla, we were going to see whether we should opt for a Yaris sedan instead. However, out of 2 dealers we went to, both of them did not have a Yaris sedan in the showroom.

I think there may indeed be a long waiting time for a Yaris sedan.

We checked the carsales website, as they list brand new cars in stock for some dealers. We knew that the dealer we went to had 5 in stock in the colours we were interested in. Going to a dealer that has the car you want in stock often helps you negotiate a better price.

Some colours seem to be rare though. Don't see too many Ink, Dynamic Blue or Aquamarine in stock very often.

If you want manual transmission, you might have to wait too. It seems that about 90% of sedans in stock are automatics!!

I thought I would post back now about my experiences. I was negotiating for my mother. We had decided what we wanted and went around to dealers to check them all out and get pricing. I found that once you got to a certain point in pricing dealers wouldn't talk exact price unless you were signing up then. We narrowed it down to two dealers in Sydney- both large dealers so I thought we would get the better discount. The first dealer had a young salesman who told me to come back when I was ready to buy and he would "speak to the boss" and go for under $20 000. Given we were wanting auto, metallic paint, mudflaps, weather shields and safety pack I didn't really think that was possible. I thought that was just to get me back to sign on the spot for a deal which was not possible.

We went to another large Sydney Toyota dealer (not sure about libel laws so won't nominate them here) and I met a lovely trainee- very polite and trying to do as his Sales Manager was wanting whilst keeping me engaged. The sales manager came out and basically told me he would consider an offer between 20, 500 and 21.500. Mum and I talked and thought we would go back to them. We offered $20 800 on the phone. He accepted on the condition we gave a $1000 deposit by credit card. I double checked the inclusions and confirmed them with him. He asked me for a favour and said the computer would only accept it as $20 803. We agreed on that. Mum paid the deposit of $1000 on the phone by credit card for the car with the inclusions listed. We even had the colour documented.

I asked him when he wanted Mum to come out to sign the contract and it was arranged for the next day. He asked me if I would be coming with mum but I told him I couldn't (I had a torn cornea and was goint to the doctor and my daughter with CP had a medical review). I was a little suspicious about why he would be asking that but didn't think too much about it until I spoke to my mother who told me about all the following. Here is where it gets infuriating and in my view very exploitative.

When mum got there he told her they would destroy the $1000 deposit credit voucher and "begin again." They sent her to a different section where they started to sell her a whole lot of other things. When I found out I realised she was like a lamb going to slaughter. I felt they were unethical because in my view we had a verbal contract where we had agreed on inclusions, a price, had agreed to come in to sign a contract for a car with those things at the price we agreed on. They had accepted a deposit for a car with features agreed upon and it was my expectation that a contract would be ready and drawn up ready for mum to sign.

You hear about these things but it never occurred to me when you had worked so hard to negotiate a deal with certain inclusions, paid a deposit at an agreed upon price including those inclusions that they would do this.

Anyway, I gave them a huge serve and whilst admitting no wrong, they agreed to return to the original deal and mum and I went to sign a new contract this morning for the original car.

I would hate other people to have to experience this. You just can't trust them. The extras they were "offering" mum were "Spring specials" which had never been mentioned before- things like rustproofing, superior paint finish, underacarriage rustproofing etc. Of course no mention of them before and she was sent to a different section. I still can't believe they can sleep straight in bed at night. I think it was really unethical.

Anyway, now Mum and I have to put it down to experience. Hopefully when her car comes she will really enjoy it.

*** I hate rude carsalesmen!!! I've only really met one nice guy at a dealer called Cornes Toyota here in SA. He was really nice and didn't try and push me into anything and actually seemed to care about what I wanted.

Anyway I too plan to buy something like a Yaris (or whatever it will be in the near future). So the Yaris sedan is more than the hatch? If I were you I'd have a look on carsales.com.au for some of the best prices. And don't trade-in the car you've already got! The dealer will give you f**k all for it. I'd sell it privately, then you'd get twice as much than a dealer would give you. THEN, use that money to put on the Yaris and get the rest on finance or whatever. Sorry to sound like an f**k if that's what you already planed to do, but that's exactly what I plan to do.

*** I hate rude carsalesmen!!! I've only really met one nice guy at a dealer called Cornes Toyota here in SA. He was really nice and didn't try and push me into anything and actually seemed to care about what I wanted.

Anyway I too plan to buy something like a Yaris (or whatever it will be in the near future). So the Yaris sedan is more than the hatch? If I were you I'd have a look on carsales.com.au for some of the best prices. And don't trade-in the car you've already got! The dealer will give you f**k all for it. I'd sell it privately, then you'd get twice as much than a dealer would give you. THEN, use that money to put on the Yaris and get the rest on finance or whatever. Sorry to sound like an f**k if that's what you already planed to do, but that's exactly what I plan to do.

The Sedan only comes in YRS and YRX trims, whereas the Hatch also has the YR. Also the Hatch has 3 and 5 door varieties. It is the YR trim and the 3 door hatches that are cheaper than the sedan.

Generally it is better to sell your old car privately first and then be a cash buyer for your new car. This is not always possible though eg one car families or when there are financial issues.

Trade ins are one area where a lot of car buyers lose heaps of money for a few reasons. The main one is that they don't haggle on the trade in price. The first offer given for a trade in is always less than what the dealer actually values it at.