thrashing the stivo

Just quickly (and if this has been covered properly I couldn’t find it through the search facility), I have had my stivo 3 days now (bought it 2nd hand with around 50k on clock) and am just wondering how much of an effect thrashing this car a fair amount (once it has been fully warmed up) will have on it. (I’m using mobile 8000 at the moment). I would say on an average drive I’m hitting lift 25% of the time - I don’t want to stuff up the car but I did buy it for the high revving engine, any advice ????

Edited by steinny72

Just quickly (and if this has been covered properly I couldn’t find it through the search facility), I have had my stivo 3 days now (bought it 2nd hand with around 50k on clock) and am just wondering how much of an effect thrashing this car constantly (once it has been fully warmed up) will have on it. (I’m using mobile 8000 at the moment). I would say on an average drive I’m hitting lift 35% of the time - I don’t want to stuff up the car but I did buy it for the high revving engine. Also, when i'm going say 90 and chuck it down into 2nd - (and quite a forceful pull / bump occurs - is that also going to have long term bad consequences??

Going down into 2nd from 90 is quite harsh, at least rev match the car so you dont get a sudden *****. Cant be too good for the car in the long run.

Having the stivo for quite a while, it does sometimes feel impractical. Having to rev so much to get moving, everyone thinks you are a hoon. More torque would have been more practical for everyday driving. But being able to rev it up is a perk that you dont experienece on every car. :lol:

It is hard being young and not trashing these cars... they have a little beast under the bonnet and it is fun to let it out but also you gotta think of the long term effects if not the short term... Be a ***** to your car but also give it some loving and it will know which way to swing haha

if u service ur car every 5k and use good quality oils it should be a problem, cos the car is meant to be driven like that

lol i only downshift bout 90 so i can ***** my friends driving next to me on cruises :)

but in doing so, if you rev match it should be the same as redlining second, important thing is to revmatch!

Treat her like a sl*t and she'll catch a STD eventually.

LOR! :D

cos the car is meant to be driven like that

Could you please provide some evidence or a link to a reference where this may be stated?

snakes

Edited by snakesau

Better Built and Better Interior... since when does interior have anything to do with the thrashing of a engine and better built? We have a redline so we know where the limit of the engine is we do not have it so we can do 1mm away from the red... if u thrash ur car expect problems... in saying so if u drive ur car to how should i put it not over 2 grand per gear than u can expect problems too... it is fun trashing your car but with all seriousness you put sumthing under preasure constantly everthing has there breaking point.

Just quickly (and if this has been covered properly I couldn’t find it through the search facility), I have had my stivo 3 days now (bought it 2nd hand with around 50k on clock) and am just wondering how much of an effect thrashing this car constantly (once it has been fully warmed up) will have on it. (I’m using mobile 8000 at the moment). I would say on an average drive I’m hitting lift 35% of the time - I don’t want to stuff up the car but I did buy it for the high revving engine. Also, when i'm going say 90 and chuck it down into 2nd - (and quite a forceful pull / bump occurs - is that also going to have long term bad consequences??

Going down into 2nd from 90 is quite harsh, at least rev match the car so you dont get a sudden *****. Cant be too good for the car in the long run.

Having the stivo for quite a while, it does sometimes feel impractical. Having to rev so much to get moving, everyone thinks you are a hoon. More torque would have been more practical for everyday driving. But being able to rev it up is a perk that you dont experienece on every car. :lol:

The right mods in the right places eliminates the need for a lot of revs to get it moving. There are some very good manufacturers out there that make stuff for the Sportivo that increase torque at lower RPM and make the car even better to drive than it already is. B) Do your research on products based on what you require not how much noise or whether or not it has the fancy tuner name brand attached to it. :D

I hope when your grabbing second your compression braking. Cause it is quicker to keep it in third and accelerate. 90kph down to second would require a rev match around 7500rpm to avoid killing your syncros.

well they stick in a redline for a reason? if you have a stivo and dont use lift, u shoulda got a levin, better built and better interior

What a strange comment...

If you drive a Sportivo at the limit all the time it wont be long before you are walking or catching the bus.

Nothing will last if always driven at the limit. Why are race engines stipped down every few races (In some cases every race)? They're not driven over their redlines?

Higher RPM means quicker wear and tear, plain and simple.

And I really wouldn't recommend dropping to second at 90km/h rev matching or not (WTF?) It really won't make you go quicker and it justs puts additional wear on pretty much everything.

Geez I'm not buying any second hand Corolla's ever...

I usually give my car a good beating once a week....

normally on saturdays.....

drive it how its meant to be driven...enjoy it while it lasts..just have fun with it.... :D

all cars will get problems eventually..

Try owning a Porsche guys.. u would wish you have a Hyundai with 5 year warranty! :lol:

btw.. Porsche are ranked the most unreliable cars in Europe. When u have a Porsche u would think high performance car, should be able to take some beating, but think again.

IMO cars are like tools, its an equipment meant to be used. It's also built for user enjoyment, so if you don't enjoy it or use it i personally don't see why you shoud have a car. If its only for getting from A-B then the Stivo is ot for you. High performance cars are built for driver enjoyment. As to "thrashing" a car, its very subjective so i won't go there. You can drive a car hard but not thrash it.

IMO high performance cars are meant to be higher in performance and more durable otherwise how can it take the higher performance? So i expect to drive it in a way to extract its performance potential. The Stivo has a state of the art high revving engine so the only way to extract it is to rev it, no other way around. If you don't like revving and feels that it doesn't suit yur style of driving or usage, get another car like the MPS for example :P Plenty of torque down low over 300nm at 2500rpm, never have to use more than 5500rpm. It's quiet and you won't think that you are straining the engine, although turbo cars are more of a pain to look after than NA cars. If it breaks, bad luck, get it fixed or dump it and get a new one. Thats the way it is, no matter what car you own.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

i think u guys mis-interpreted what i was saying, there is nothing wrong with taking your car to the redline, as long as u dont leave it hovering at redline

you can have fun in your car and it will last, just have to be responsible when you're doing it and dont do it excessively

Drop to second while doing 90 hmmmm I suggest you buy a motorbike! A rolla is like a weapon of gold, you release it's wrath only when it's really needed :rolleyes:

Treat her well otherwise she'll turn on you ;)