New Car

I currently dont have a car as such, my GF rolla has been mine, and me driving an astra around, but finnaly im going to get a car. Im looking at getting a 2nd Hand IS200, they go for around 23k, are these good cars, are these bad cars.. Also some sugestions on other cars in the 25k area. Im only 18 and still on P's of course, so keep this is mind. Any advice really. Corolla is 2nd top of the list, so no need to list that, but any other sugestions and just some general info on the IS200 from the people in the know...

Thanks in advance

Brad

lets see my suggestion is dc2r or something around there but if u want the nice pimp look then is200 is perfect. I have a dc2r and a corolla so just a pick of the day to decide which one to drive =P

is200

it has a camry engine....

not very fast honestly.. a 1zz could prob beat it in a straight line AHEM *legal drag* i wanted one of these a long time ago

u can prob fetch one at auctions for 15k

honestly it all comes down to what you are after, if you want the vIP look get the is200.

for around that money mark u can get a

s15 nissan silvia

subaru wrx 1998-2002 maybe even a evo spec

subaru liberty *current shape*

honda accord euro if u fork in a bit more for a nice colour or else the standard black and silver around that price

its all up to wat u like =P

lets see my suggestion is dc2r or something around there but if u want the nice pimp look then is200 is perfect. I have a dc2r and a corolla so just a pick of the day to decide which one to drive =P

is200

it has a camry engine....

not very fast honestly.. a 1zz could prob beat it in a straight line AHEM *legal drag* i wanted one of these a long time ago

u can prob fetch one at auctions for 15k

honestly it all comes down to what you are after, if you want the vIP look get the is200.

for around that money mark u can get a

s15 nissan silvia

subaru wrx 1998-2002 maybe even a evo spec

subaru liberty *current shape*

honda accord euro if u fork in a bit more for a nice colour or else the standard black and silver around that price

its all up to wat u like =P

As mello said, they are sluggish off the line even tho it's a 6 cylinder they are only producing about 112kws at the fly. I'll second mello bout the 1zz beating it on the straight, because I have beaten a stock is200. I also wanted this car for a while. If you want a bit of class and looks to match then I would go for it. But for raw power definatley consider a dc2r or stivo.

be different - get a renault clio sport.

0-100 in bit over 6.5 but only a 2 litre N/A so good on fuel. 25K will buy a nice 2nd hand one and they are decent on insurance for an 18yo coz not many young people have them.

Being 18, steer clear of rexies and 200's. anything with a turbo is gunna send u broke on insurance. Clio sport vs a 200 would be pretty close.

If u looking for the luxury look take a current shape maxima for a spin. u can pick up a 04 for under 25 and they are very nice!

Considering that your on your P's most of the cars that have been mentioned are gonna cost you all of your money to insure. Is200 is nice but not a performance car and as all other cars are performance orientated it comes down to your personal preference Do you like 2 doors or 4? Personally the 2 door thing wore off pretty quickly and becam a pain in the you know what very quickly.

What you have to do is look for a car that you can afford to own NOT buy. It's all well and good to be able to buy a DC2 for instance but can you afford the insurance and servicing costs?? Same with most of the turbo cars. The insurance will kill someone your age. Be smart and don't buy a car with dreams of being the fastest and looking slick but instead buy something that you can afford and maintain relatively cheaply and enjoy driving without worrying about having an accident and not affording to get it fixed.

Have you thought about a Sportivo?? Second hand one for about the 21k mark and prolly still under warranty unlike most of the other cars mentioned here.

Cheers Silvabullit :D

I have seen the maxima, i really quite like there "luxury" look. The other one on the cards is 2000 Audi A4.... keep the comments coming guys, keep them coming

ok i will keep it going :)

i had a civic coupe vtir b4, and i loved it, insurance is good(bit less than a stivo) and its only a 1.6, but its got one hell of an engine, 118kw(you can never get enough of the engine sound, specialy if you have a CAI), not much torque, but also its very light, and its very easy to make it look really good, mine had cf bonnet, lowered to its guts and a mugen lip, and it turns heads i tell ya. and the clio182 sport is good too as someone mentioned, gun of a car and insurance is good too.

an mr-s if u want style, u can get one for 25k bucks, but i am not sure if insurance is a killer(worth checking out)

finally a sportivo and celica, both have a gun NA engine 141kw, but gearbox is nothing special remember celica is 100kg lighter

Considering that your on your P's most of the cars that have been mentioned are gonna cost you all of your money to insure. Is200 is nice but not a performance car and as all other cars are performance orientated it comes down to your personal preference Do you like 2 doors or 4? Personally the 2 door thing wore off pretty quickly and becam a pain in the you know what very quickly.

What you have to do is look for a car that you can afford to own NOT buy. It's all well and good to be able to buy a DC2 for instance but can you afford the insurance and servicing costs?? Same with most of the turbo cars. The insurance will kill someone your age. Be smart and don't buy a car with dreams of being the fastest and looking slick but instead buy something that you can afford and maintain relatively cheaply and enjoy driving without worrying about having an accident and not affording to get it fixed.

Have you thought about a Sportivo?? Second hand one for about the 21k mark and prolly still under warranty unlike most of the other cars mentioned here.

Cheers Silvabullit :D

Word!! To the wise one! :D

Don't get caught up with fantasy...and be realistic.

Before i bought the sportivo...i was dead set on DC5 Type R...for 2 years straight!! (Honda Loyalist at Heart ;) ) BUT.....I was being real and being stubborn. I drive a car for me...and to not impress or for showin off to n e one else.

Insurance...was a major contributor to my change of mind as well as a whole lot of other factors. I also like the 200SX S15, but turbo was like...uh ah on insurance. U wanna go fast? U can get a bike that'll kill most if not all cars for the same prices as what u'd pay for insuring a turbo car!!

Ask yourself, what will u use the car for? What attracts you most (interior\exterior)? HOw long you plan to keep the car? What type of driving you'll be doing (eg suburban/highyway/long trips/traffic etc)?

Consider this, if u think about it....u'll be sitting in your car a lot more than looking at it from the outside. ;)

Test drive as many diff cars in that category as possible n see which car suits ur type of driving and daily in\out usage. U'd be surprised at what diff makes or models you may come across that can be surprisingly positve, and that you may not have considered at all!

I won't make a suggestion of what car to buy because a lot of people can recommend their preferences, yet funnily enough, a lot of them don't even own those cars themselves sometimes.

Ultimately, there is no perfect car.

Each car has their own goods or bads...just all depends on which goods attract and suit you.

All the best man! B)

Well after much thinking, going back months now, i have decided to go with a corolla. I would get sportivo, but i am lazy, and really dont want to be stuck driving manual in the city.. Work is close, so there is no open spaces, all stop start kinda stuff..

Lexus IS was looking pretty clear but just the fact, the price of the car for what i was getting really didnt seem worth it. Also on the cards was audi A4, which also fell into the same cat as the lexus, nice, but not nice enough.

Going to try and pick up an acecent sport/ conquest for around 18-19 so bit cheaper then the others sugested. This extra cash, will go to a few extras i.e. Wheels, CAI, exaust etc, all the stuff, my girlfriend has neglected to do to her car.

My mind keeps changing, but this seems like the best way to go. I have to admit that all the cars mentioned were at one stage thought about, but all had there disadvantages. Insurance isnt the killer for turbo cars for me, its RTA. The fact that im on Red P's you cant drive FI, which really i think is a good idea, but at the same times has a few flaws. So i think a new silver rolla is on the cards, not sportivo cause im too lazy, which no doubt, down the track i will regret, but hey its going to be cruisy..

Thanks for all the advise, and really any sugestions, please make it now... thanks guys

Brad

Yer the 1zz is sufficient enough. Go a sedan if ur gunna mod it. Just a bit more un-common and I reckon they look like a baby lexus with a nice set of 18s on it.

Im gunna be in the market for a new car soon. Im waiting for the new suzuki GTI. If its turbo and well priced im interested. Other than that I'm hoping the next gen corolla sportivo is a jackhammer like the 3 MPS. If not im holding out til this comes out. Hopefully they bring out a 3 door Tiida with a meaty engine that looks like this concept.

post-1375-1157273551_thumb.jpg

An audi a4 is really good looking car sophistication and i reckon its reasonably priced =P as for maintenance and parts omg....

however its up to u on whatever you want, seriously if you want turbo get it.

I wont advise any1 to not get anything because its all about the learning experience.

I will be upgradeing to turbo in the near future thats for sure. You only have 1 life to live and trust me =P with the current fuel prices going up there is a possibility that we will never experience the current enjoyments in a car like we have today.

Im not saying get something fast and act like idiots =P but im sure every1 here has been thru that stage in P plates.

however Im also sure people who are off their P's still act like idiots from what iv seen on the forum :lol:

Yer the 1zz is sufficient enough. Go a sedan if ur gunna mod it. Just a bit more un-common and I reckon they look like a baby lexus with a nice set of 18s on it.

Im gunna be in the market for a new car soon. Im waiting for the new suzuki GTI. If its turbo and well priced im interested. Other than that I'm hoping the next gen corolla sportivo is a jackhammer like the 3 MPS. If not im holding out til this comes out. Hopefully they bring out a 3 door Tiida with a meaty engine that looks like this concept.

on that pic.. is that a nissan gti-r baby godzilla?

on that pic.. is that a nissan gti-r baby godzilla?

nah its the nissan sport concept based on the current shape tiida. I cant find any info on what engine its packing but everyones tipping it to go ahead but less over the top (the concept has 20 inch wheels). Nissan really do need a flagship to push Tiida sales and to go up against the Mazda MPS, Focus SR5, Astra Turbo, Golf GTI, etc.