Fitting AEM CAI?

very unlikely u will fit the CAI without modding the end of the pipe or wihtout removing the foggie.

It's been covered b4 for the Injen, TRD and Shift Performance CAI- i will assume the same for the AEM.

So we should follow the instructions exactly?

I thought there were some differences in the US VVTi and the Aust VVTi engines.

Hence in the TRD CAI thread you need to block off certain pipes. Or am I mistaken and you need to bloke those pipes in both vehicles?

Edited by GAZOOM

You will have this bracket which you won;t need, its to hold this vaccum hose or something, well you will know it. There is no difference between the two, its just that the steering wheel is on the left hand side so thats why that bracket is no use for us. As for the pipe, its a tiny nipple, so just slap in some screw and blue tack it (thats what I did), or get some of those tyre air cap. Easy. Thats no modification if u ask me.

As I mentioned to Gazoom before on PM, I believe the new version is the Drive By Wire version, which should be the one that Blue_Stivo have, less bent far as I remember. He doesn't seems to face any problems fitting it either - GO AEM!!!

Other than that, no modifications at all. The instruction is very good, each diagram follow to the next complete with numbers and item of locations. Follow that, you won't miss a thing. Basic hand tools is all u ever need - and of course attention to detail in particular to the MAF wire as it will get stretch a bit. But u can get away with it by releasinig the whole harness by the clip, you will notice it once u lift up your std air box. If I could post some pictures I would, but I think I'm running out of MB.

For 2zz-ge, you will need to block this vaccum hose that allows your std airbox lower section to open up during lift mode. I believe its on the instruction aswell if you obtain 2zz-ge version. If not, follow Injen and TRD installation guide available somewhere in this forum.

Edited by Danz

There's an instruction and installation manual somewhere for the K&N short ram intake that I found the best for removing all the air box things. The diagrams were clearer then the AEM one. Installing it is no drama. The biggest issue is getting the pipe lined up with the joiner on the throttle body as once the pipe is on place there is not much room to move, so it can take a little bit of force.

When installing the one for NIKICH we found it easier to have 2 people when you fit the pod too. One to hold the pipe in place and the other to twist and push the pod on securely.

Also as far as blocking the pipe off that Danz is talking about. There is a rubber cap on the stock airbox (closing of the same line that we don't use in our cars) that you can transfer directly across to the pipe.

okay real reason why is ask about the AEM is because i had the above mentioned intake on my car for 3 weeks then removed it basically with it on the car was undrivable. Im worried if the AEM is a very simliliar design as to where and how the pod in positioned. Any pics please on a 05'?. Also danz or blue stivo what was the part number you used for AEM? I mite be quoting a wrong part number.

okay real reason why is ask about the AEM is because i had the above mentioned intake on my car for 3 weeks then removed it basically with it on the car was undrivable. Im worried if the AEM is a very simliliar design as to where and how the pod in positioned. Any pics please on a 05'?. Also danz or blue stivo what was the part number you used for AEM? I mite be quoting a wrong part number.

Careful mate you remember what happened last time with motoman's injen review.

But yeah I think you have the right part number mate AEM 21-466 for 2zz.

I got the AEM21-469 for 1zz

Ahahaha, its not where the pod is located that makes the car undrivable. Its the size of the internal diametre of the intake that causes it to happen. Here's a general knowledge for those that likes to know; the internal diametre of the intake must not exceed standard size because the MAF sensor calculates the internal diametre. Bigger or smaller = ECU needs panadol, better yet, it goes to limp mode.

TRD, INJEN or AEM won't go wrong. Hey I never heard anyone with those brands complains. Am I advertising those brands? Nah. Its just information that everybody should know about.

thanks mate im tredding carefully ;) but if i get flamed for just sharing my experience with other members then they can go shove it, at the end its there choice whether they buy that certain intake but thats just what happened to me on a 05' stivo, so if logic serves and the design to the ....intake (pod position and tube length) is the same to AEM then it mite cause they same problems i experienced. I just dont want to order this intake all the way from the states and get the same probs i had before.

I believe the issue with the CES CAI has now been rectified by a reducer being fitted around the MAF sensor. Unfortuately because this particualar unit was sold outside of Queensland it was never rectified.

As Danz has stated though, I haven't every heard of anyone having these problems with an AEM, Injen or TRD CAI.

thanks mate im tredding carefully ;) but if i get flamed for just sharing my experience with other members then they can go shove it, at the end its there choice whether they buy that certain intake but thats just what happened to me on a 05' stivo, so if logic serves and the design to the ....intake (pod position and tube length) is the same to AEM then it mite cause they same problems i experienced. I just dont want to order this intake all the way from the states and get the same probs i had before.

I had simular experience with the above mentioned intake. I think it depends on the car. Its just too damn big for some 2ZZ but works fine on others. I think its the luck of the draw if it works on your car.

but if i get flamed for just sharing my experience with other members then they can go shove it, at the end its there choice whether they buy that certain intake but thats just what happened to me on a 05' stivo, so if logic serves and the design to the

Fair point mate.

I guess soon you will be the only one to have both CES and AEM on your car so I guess you will be qualified to make a constructive comparison of the two if you choose too.

But just don’t want to see you get band because I want to read how you go with the AEM CAI.

:D