brake noises in sportivo

mickeyg

I know a few of you guys have had this problem before so i need to ask a few questions and hopefully some will reply before tomorrow.

I'm taking my car in for its 5K service tomorrow and i want to know what to tell the guys at toyota.

i'm having the same brake problems as most of you have posted (the horrible noise when reversing slowly) and i was wondering how any of you got it fixed and what the actual problem is.

the same problem started happenning before my 1K service and they just replaced the brake pads, problem went away but then returned a couple of months later, and i dont want to change my brake pads every two months.

anyway your help would be great

cheers

michael :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok mate, to be honest i dont think it's the brake pads alone. I have that whooing noise myself only when i engage the clutch and brake together to move uphill for example, soon an i release the brake to step on the throttle, the car rolls back wards and the noise appears. My next service is due early next year, so i'll let them have it :D.

man i had the same noise and when i got my 17 " rims the noise has never come back when reversing slow or fast, never had the noise when using the clutch or anything, at first i thought it was brake dust or road dust but when i got the new (larger) rims it disappeared for some reason

Ok

so i got my 5000K service done on monday

what they did is deglaze the brakes and they checked everything else just in case.

they reckon the prob is fixed and so far it seems to be just that. i took it for a good drive yesterday, and kept on doing three pointers to see how the brakes go in reverse. after a good workout still no probs.

but i guess time will tell, oh well if it comes back then i can have a good yelling fir at toyota. and if the prob stays away then my stivo is perfect i'm still happy.

now i guess i'll look forward to the day that my dash starts rattling, but hopefully that day will never come

:(

I have both the wooing and reverse braking noises on my stivo. A stivoian I know also has the same problem with his. The wooing irregularly occurs when i first take out the car in the morning and it only lasts a couple turns of the wheels. I find that when I reverse on a hill the braking noise occurs more often after it has rained. But it has its moments. Usually new cars have that problem and it goes away after a couple months, but im going on 6 months in a couple days and I still have it. I have my 10,000km service coming up in a couple weeks and I will make a mention of it to the dealership. I will let you know how I go. :)

• 2 weeks later...

When i first got my sportivo the brakes were whining in reverse too, but after a while it went away by itself.

But the main reasons these problems are occuring is becasuse brake pad manufactures had to stop using asbestos in the pads, and now they are all metal. Even my friends brand new Beemer 5 series had this problem! So rest assure as long as the brakes feel and work right you have nothing to worry about.

Also getting the dealer to clean the brakes helps.

well, its been about three weeks now since my service and still no brake noises. it seems that the deglazing has worked.

the first time it was fixed though they just replaced the brake pads and then the noises came back.

however it might have been because they werent particularly good brake pads. prob just the toyota generic

can the brakes of the stivo be used so hard..that they can end up GLOWING red hot like the ones on the car racing shows?

or is that impossible for us....eg: by the time it gets close to heat saturation...it won't brake anymore.

I recommend you undertakes the 5k service yourself, all you really need to do is change the oil filter and oil. Use a full synthetic type.

It takes about 15 minutes to do and the hand book tellls you how much oil is required. This way it should only cost $60 buck or so. My dealer stings $140 for an oil change and who knows what type of oil he uses. And you dont really need the book stamped cos the car according to toyota only need serviceing every 10 so warrannty is cool.

i was told by the dealer NOT to use synthetic until after 10,000km service.

*shrugs* :huh::blink:

bugger if i know why...probably some technical thing with running in or something :ph34r: