Buying interstate?

I've sold two cars to NSW now from QLD.

When you get the car to NSW, you have to get a NSW roadworthy for it along with whatever else is required for new rego, and pay for 12 months registration. When you hand the QLD plates in to the RTA they give you a letter stating that you have surrendered the plates, which you can send to QLD transport to get a refund for the value of the remaining QLD registration.

Hey guys,

If you buy a car interstate, i heard that you have to pay for 12 months rego or something like that.

What are all the fee's involved in purchasing interstate?

Cheers

My understanding is that cars do not need to be registered to be sold. You can usually buy day rego in QLD, so long as you can get the car home in 24hours ;)

No thats not what i mean.

Let's say the car in QLD is already registered, but i'm planning on going to QLD to pick up the car and drive it back to NSW. I have to pay for NSW registration again don't i ? does that mean i have to pay greenslip again as well.. or how does it work...

You will need to pay for the NSW rego and whatever else is require by the RTA for the Rego (greenslip, roadworthy etc)...

As rollamods said, when you sregister the car at the RTA in NSW and surrender the QLD plates, they will send them back to Qld Transport and thus cancel the rego here in QLD.

If you have not transferred the rego to you in QLD before this happens, then any remaining refund of rego will go to the dude you buy the car from.

Okay thanx for all your help guys

If anyone is interested in the future, this information came from the RTA website

Second-hand vehicles currently or previously registered interstate

To register a second-hand vehicle that is currently or was previously registered interstate, you will need to attend a motor registry in person and provide:

* Proof of your identity or, if registering the vehicle in the name of a company or organisation, proof that the company or organisation is a legal entity (see related link above right).

* A representative’s authority if the vehicle is being registered in the name of a company or other organisation. For a company, the Director or an authorised delegate must complete and sign the Representative’s section on the Application for Registration form or provide a letter of authorisation on company letterhead. In the case of an incorporated association, the public officer must sign. In all cases, the authorised representative must provide proof of their identity. A representative’s authority may also be supplied for new vehicles registered in the name of a person.

* A representative’s authority cannot be supplied if you are registering the vehicle in the name of a person, you must attend the motor registry yourself. If the vehicle is being registered in joint names, one person may authorise the other to attend on their behalf (as long as the person who is not attending is recorded on the RTA computer system).

* Proof of acquisition (eg a receipt for purchase of the vehicle, certificate of registration signed by the previous registered operator/s of the vehicle, or the previous certificate of registration in the same name if coming from interstate).

* Proof of your residential address (see related link above right).

* A valid Compulsory Third Party insurance policy – also known as a green slip - in hard copy format with the number plate section blank (not required for trailers).

* Your interstate number plates – you’ll have to surrender your interstate plates before you’ll be given NSW plates.

* An inspection report – also known as a blue slip – from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). If you live in a remote area and there is no AUVIS available, you can get a pink slip from an Authorised Inspection Station (AIS) instead of a blue slip (for Authorised Inspection Station fees, see Vehicle Inspectors Bulletin 18 available from the related link above right. You should contact the RTA on 13 22 13 if you are unsure of the type of inspection report required).

* A completed Application for Registration form (see RTA Forms at the bottom of this page).

* Evidence of eligibility for any pensioner or other concessions (see related links to Pensioner concessions and Apprentice registration rebate above right).

* An engineer’s certificate if the vehicle has been modified beyond the ‘owner-certified’ level or is an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV).

* Evidence of repair if the vehicle has been a repairable write-off (eg letters or receipts from repairers and a written off vehicle report from AUVIS).

* Payment for registration, including registration fee, motor vehicle tax (or national heavy vehicle charges as applicable), stamp duty if applicable plus the applicable number plate fee.

All vehicles established for registration (including interstate and imported vehicles) may be selected for an additional inspection by the RTA's Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit (VIIU). You will be notified at the time of registration if your vehicle is selected.

Edited by doosra