sub placement

JJCRU23R

wow not bad :clap: keep us posted

just go to spotlight or the likes for the carpet materials :D :P

fabric is fabric.. im sure u can get "subwoofer carpet" like material at most fabric stores for alot less. Dont be shy, those grannies wont laugh at u :lol: or do what i did and dragged my gf along and pretend we're getting stuff for her :whistling:

Edited by DHC09

hey im vip over there at spotlight! im down with the ladyz down at spotlight :P

bought bout 3 metres of red felt to retrim dads freebee pool table over a year ago hahaha!

shoulda thought of spotlight from the beginning... i was looking clark rubbers direction but yea stupid me didnt think of the spotlight just 5 mins from my house.

thankx dhc! you actually sound suprised that i made it this far ?!

oh yea ive decided to go and paint the back of the box matt black, once ive smoothed out the rough edges and got the dirt off that stuck to the back of it.

the front im still thinking of vinyl if not carpet.

right now im concerned bout the slight irregular shape of the box on the top half... how carpet will mould to the slight dips and bends without 2 much fuss...

which do you think is more durable? which could take more than a couple bumps?

that reminds me i gotta order the grille that goes with this sub.

you cant buy my sub in australia but you can still order the grille for $50 from jbhifi?! how odd is that?!

Keep it coming mate. Looking good.

Cant wait to see it trimmed... I dun think the oldies at spotlight will laugh at you.... :P

hey im vip over there at spotlight! im down with the ladyz down at spotlight :P

bought bout 3 metres of red felt to retrim dads freebee pool table over a year ago hahaha!

shoulda thought of spotlight from the beginning... i was looking clark rubbers direction but yea stupid me didnt think of the spotlight just 5 mins from my house.

thankx dhc! you actually sound suprised that i made it this far ?!

haha no no im not suprised that u made it this far.... "wow" as in that looks great :D

i managed 2 go back 2 supercheap to get the hardener they didnt give me when i bought my fibreglass putty and bondo the other day. coz they hide the hardener tubes under the counter of the cash register and the checkout chick 4got to give em when i bought them.

the checkout chick almost accused me of being a paint sniffer or something!?! when i asked 4 hardener, she said in a full defensive tone "we dont JUST sell the hardener - youve got to buy the putty!" then i said " i bought 2 cans of putty/bondo just yesterday! i didnt get any hardener!" then she said "well who served you then????" like as if im going to remember her name and what she looked like as if i was trying 2 pick up the chick or something?! i just want my toolz and my putty and im out the frikken door.. i dint stop to ask her name and ask her out on a date?!!?! (no i didnt say any of that but it did enter my mind considering the way she was speaking 2 me).

but yea then i produced the recipt. damn lucky i had that in my bag coz im sure i wouldnt have gotten anything from her otherwise.

she took a quick look at it and i had 2 wait another 5 minutes for the girl that served me 2 come to the counter and she confirm that NO, she didnt give me any hardener. while waiting she served bout 3 people behind me who werent in the best of moods either. they just wanted 2 buy their sh!t and leave.

ANYWAYZ...

in other news,

bought some felt already.

its black though. my interior is grey >:/

i bought 1 metre = $9.95 with my VIP card. its enough 2 cover the whole thing, but didnt buy 2 much just in case i find the right colour.

obviously spotlight didnt have the right colour felt (thats the closest matching material 4 my conquests interior)...

my local autobarn doesnt have it in stock.

supercheap doesnt sell it.

repco has 2 order it in.

does anyone know anywhere else that might have it????

Edited by JJCRU23R

a word of advice..

ive searched heaps of DIY sub box tutorialz, and came across 1 that was slightly better than the otherz while i was in the middle of fibreglassing the back of my box.

in this particular tutorial, the guy cut a peice of MDF for the base of the boxwhich makes a lot of sense (for strength and stability purposes) and fibreglassed the walls and top of the box. so when he pulled the fibreglass out of the car, the mdf came along with it coz it was more or less glued to the fibreglass. now i DID have an MDF base to begin with (you can see it in 1 of my first pics in this thread), but i decided not to do anything different from the tutorials that ive been reading just 2 be on the safe side. but yea found out later that my initial idea was done by someone else and it worked for them!

so yea once again, i could have used that bit of information B4 i started my box.

another useful tip that i WAS able to use was that when youve already done a few layers of f'glass and you still think you see thin spots, weak areas or tiny holes in the corners of your fibreglass, just mix some resin+hardener and pour it in and let it roll round in those weak areas. it wont take long b4 the resin hardens and youve pretty much sealed any holes you may have had.

a good way to tell if youve properly sealed every little hole in the box (subwoofer not yet screwed into place) is to pour bout 1 1/2 shot glass's worth of water inside your box, hold the box up and let the water roll around. if you have any holes in the fibreglass, youll obviously be able to tell if any water manages to fall to the floor. then remove the remaining water in the box with a cloth and leave the box out 2 dry b4 sealing the holes.

i did that exact thing this morning and found that i missed a hole in 1 corner.

so yea the most important thing is that the bugger is hole proof! thats the point of making a SEALED box.

if you wanted to make a ported box, i think youd be better off buying it coz i saw the instructions for making a ported box for my kicker and i couldnt be bothered! good luck if you choose to make 1!

right now im considering the best way to wire my box up.

tutorials rule against using a TERMINAL BOARD when wiring up your box. and if you havent decided on your method of wiring by the time your box is mostly done then you have little choice but 2 drill a hole in the back, feed the wire through and seal it with cilicone or something 2 that effect.

NOT ME. ima be a difficult bugger and give it a go anyway. main problem in using terminal boards is the risk of air escaping... in other words, holes in the box.

2 counter this problem im going to make an mdf ring similar to the sub rings i made for my kicker. ill fix it in with fibreglass and yea should be good as gold :) UPDATE - BTW I DIDNT DO THIS. JUST SCREWED THE TERMINAL STRAIGHT IN WITH A BIT OF CARPET MATERIAL IN BETWEEN. GONNA USE FILLER ON THE INSIDE 2 SEAL ANY HOLES.

Edited by JJCRU23R

ok im sick of this frikken project. sick of it!

no i dont have an amp 2 hook it up 2 yet.

actually i have an old 1 from my landcruiser that should do as a temporary amp... but i still got a stock HU, so no rca cable hookupz.

and the wiring kit... dont have 1 for the corolla yet.

although i did test out the speaker by hooking it up 2 an old ghettoblaster and i did get sound!

as 4 the box being completely sealed... i think i screwed that by putting that terminal in the back, but yea ill fix it after i got the thing hooked up and im bothered to perfect it.

as long as it fits, and itll produce bass when i hook it up, im happy.

END OF STORY.

if you want a closer look, i may come to the next monthly meet so you can check it out then.

PS - after taking a quick spin, i noticed the sub FELL OVER after making a hard right turn. any advice on keeping the sub in place??

oh yea heres a pic of the box after i added the fibreglass filler and bondo, but b4 i sanded it all down 2 make it as smooth as i could without buying more damn putty

Edited by JJCRU23R

oh yea, in order to save money im not going 2 buy an amp or wiring kit.

i still have my old strathfield generic amp which was screwed onto my old sub box with housez 2x10inch weconic subz. they were 400watt each and the amp was i think 600wattz max?

so in theory if i hooked it up with my kicker i should get a maximum of 300wattz out of the amp. my kickers RMS is 300 so for now, since im dead broke, this will do perfectly... 4 now.

as 4 the wiring kit, ima source that from my old landcruiser too :)

To keep the box in place, to stop it from tipping over, eithre buy some lead weights and secure them to the bottom or you could make like a little wedge to jam in between the box and the car to hold it in...then remove for show N shine

my sub and carputer are both held down by velcro... works wonders... ive never had either move an inch...

then only problem is you can't slide it when you want to... so you have to completely lift it... annoying if you wanna sorta slide the box into a corner and then secure it...

The only problem with Velcro in Jase's car is that the box isn't really designed to be free standing. My sub box is trapezoidal shaped so it doesnt tip over.

His is moulded into the side of the boot, but no designed shape to support it.

Velro may work. Could always give it ago....

yep thats 1 design flaw that i really couldnt forsee while building this thing!

i mean i could only make a guess at the centre of gravity of the box, and i basically just hoped that the weight would hold it down!

right now ive pretty much folded and wedged the nonslip mattz and so far so good. maybe i should glue the nonslip mattz to the back with my spray adhesive! theres an idea.

i havent carpeted the back of the sub. when you pull it out you can still see the exposed fibreglass.

i was going 2 paint it black but i couldnt b bothered at the time.

will let you know which solution works best.

once again thanks for all your advice guyz!

really appreciated the help.

jase

• 3 weeks later...

im actually happy with the work that ive done.

aint perfect because of the weight distribution but thats not an impossable problem to fix.

do whatcha want with ur custom sub.

as for sound quality and lookz im prettydamn happy with it.

but yea if u dont wanna worry bout the box just buy it from the shopz.

rear facing is best 4 sound. but not practical in my case coz i need the storage space.

but yea the difference in sound between the two positions isnt a BLOODYHUGE amount. I could hear that there is a noticable difference, but if ur happy with the side position like my sub box anyway, then it WONT make any difference 2 u.

i just wanted sum boom boom.. or doof doof... dependin on what i feel like listening 2.

EDIT -

just installed KICKER ZX400.1 monoamp 2 power the 8" kicker :)

purchased @ 35% of what i would have paid @ JBHIFI!

GO CASH CONVERTERZ!

Edited by JJCRU23R