Shift performance CAI my thoughts

Hey guys got my, Shift Performance Cai installed for a few weeks now, and heres my opinion. The Shift cai is the best mod ive done so far, easy to install, revving smoother, and increase in power esspecially on take off. I Gteched my car, lets says my times are now consistant mid 8s 0 to 60 miles compare to the past when i got high 9s to mid 10's. Im using this CAI with a KNN extreme, and the car sounds like a supercharge, that chrisp wraspy noise and it gets louder through the rev range, it is exactly what im after.

S10 comming soon

Story to be continued.

Cheers guys :lol: :P

I was about to create a new topic, but i guess i might as well ask here. Ive noticed many 1zz owners have the shift CAI. I want to know feedback from people with 2zz who have this CAI, do you give the same positive feedback as 1zz owners. As im aware that the shift CAI is only 60mm compared to the 70mm diamter of the other brands.

Im looking for a CAI atm, and leaning towards the shift CAI as i can get it locally. If i can source a TRD INJEN AEM CAi at a good price i would consider getting them instead. Any help appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I was about to create a new topic, but i guess i might as well ask here. Ive noticed many 1zz owners have the shift CAI. I want to know feedback from people with 2zz who have this CAI, do you give the same positive feedback as 1zz owners. As im aware that the shift CAI is only 60mm compared to the 70mm diamter of the other brands.

Im looking for a CAI atm, and leaning towards the shift CAI as i can get it locally. If i can source a TRD INJEN AEM CAi at a good price i would consider getting them instead. Any help appreciated.

I just ordered an AEM CAI from eBay - was advertised for 177US +90 delivery, i made a best offer of 135 US +90 postage and won it ($225US is about 295 AU)

stil very very good price for AEM

Hey guys got my, Shift Performance Cai installed for a few weeks now, and heres my opinion. The Shift cai is the best mod ive done so far, easy to install, revving smoother, and increase in power esspecially on take off. I Gteched my car, lets says my times are now consistant mid 8s 0 to 60 miles compare to the past when i got high 9s to mid 10's. Im using this CAI with a KNN extreme, and the car sounds like a supercharge, that chrisp wraspy noise and it gets louder through the rev range, it is exactly what im after.

S10 comming soon

Story to be continued.

Cheers guys :lol: :P

Nice work, good to see your happy with it....

Any pics......!!!!

Also, what did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking....

Hot diggity damn.... =/

So if a manual 1zz had the same mods as you...they'd be as fast as a sportivo ??? o.0 Assuming a 1.5s difference between manual and auto (which seems to be the case with the 1zz's from toyota's data).

Anyways, nice!

Diameter shouldnt be a problem unless its very small and restrictive. If ur interested you better be quick theres only one left ;)

Diameter does make a difference to a CAI. 2.5" or 70mm is as big as you would go on a 1zz. Anything bigger will just kill it. 2.5 on a sportivo will work but it kills mid to top end power quite noticably. You may notice it while driving but it's very noticable on a dyno. I tried a CES CAI for a 1zz on my sportivo and it lost nearly 10kw over TRD CAI. Not just peak power but from about 4600rpm onwards.

Oh and yes CES do have CAI for 1zz too. :D

Last year I ran my stock 2ZZ on the dyno for 3 runs

Standard

Open (ajar) airbox - with filter

Open (ajar) airbox - no filter

ALl 3 runs were identical

Hot diggity damn.... =/

So if a manual 1zz had the same mods as you...they'd be as fast as a sportivo ??? o.0 Assuming a 1.5s difference between manual and auto (which seems to be the case with the 1zz's from toyota's data).

Anyways, nice!

very very very unlikely ..... just check out the 1/4 mile database .... the head design and all the other variables just make the 2zz a much better performance engine .... its not exactly comparing apples with apples the 1zz vs 2zz debate.

Hrmm true, now that i think about the quarter mile timeslips.

Hey DuGong,

I know the gtech accuracy has been debated to hell and back. So please note i'm speaking from my own experiences and my own particular unit. Since i've bought mine, it seems to be very accurate. I always make sure the unit is angled correctly and set correctly and that the road is very very flat and straight.

Some examples of times obtained with my unit-

My 97 auto 4a-fe rolla with mods, 10 flat...high 9's possible but i can't launch it perfectly (very fussy...)

My 97 FTO gpx manual 6.67s

Mates slightly worked 02 wrx 6.14s

Mates slightly worked evo6 6.34s on a slightly wet road

Mates VW auto 4 cyl Bora 10.67s

Mates worked Fiat X1-9, 11.7s

Most of those figures seem pretty accurate methinks.