Best Motoring experts' advice?

I watched the latest Best Motoring DVD "VTEC Club" today and there was this segment on oil changes and how frequent we should do it? Tsuchiya the "Drift King" said he changes his NSX Type R's engine oil every 5000-8000kms and the tranny oil at every 3rd engine oil change, which is at approx 15,000-24,000kms.

SPOON's owner embarrased the "Drift King" by saying he was wrong to change the tranny oil every 3rd engine oil change, rather it should have been done every time the engine oil gets changed, especially FF cars like highly developed Hondas and Toyotas!!! The reason behind that is the engine oil goes through an oil filter, pump and radiator to cool and clean the oil whereas the transmission doesn't get any of these and the oil basically sits there and boils. He also commented that high performance FF cars tend to encounter more transmission problems if not taken care of, hence the need for more frequent transmission oil changes.

Another interesting test was they took a 1991 Honda NSX with 150,000kms and dynoed it to see if they are worth buying 2nd hand and amazingly churned out 286ps on the dyno. Aparently the NSX is good for 20 years or more if serviced properly and taken care of because they do not rust due to the Aluminium body and their engines only show full potential after 50,000kms!!

It's a very interesting DVD for Honda fans with more insight into Honda cars like the Jazz, Integra Type-R (DC5), Acoord Euro-R, Civic Type-R and S2000. The JDM Type-Rs are just amazingly quick ripping through revs with no torque hole, how i wish our 2ZZ was like that :P

Zee

But dont forget the Type R engine is a different ball game. It a Vtec engine modded up to the max to give u the type r version. It would be the same as a celica engine modded up to give u the e.g. VVTL-I type R etc etc... cant compare the type r with the standard celica engine.. But what u can compare is the standard Vtec engine with the celica engine. Now thats an even match for comparison.

i dun think its anything to do with the oil. i reckon its something mechanical. mine shifts smoothly 100% all the time at all the revs. it used to stick like crazy on the 1-2 all the time. now there's no difference in shift quality at any rev apart from a little grinding feeling when cold.

i dun think its anything to do with the oil. i reckon its something mechanical. mine shifts smoothly 100% all the time at all the revs. it used to stick like crazy on the 1-2 all the time. now there's no difference in shift quality at any rev apart from a little grinding feeling when cold.

Shaohaok, do you think its the clutch since its okay now after you had the clutch changed. Also did the mechanics see anything wrong with the stock clutch and pressure plate?

Thanks,

Zee

they didn't say that there was anything wrong at all :huh:

i should have asked them but i never expected the problem to be solved this way <_<

i might let danthuyer drive it and see if he can explain it better coz sometimes i'm not too articulate on explaining somethings. there is a way to shift to getting around the sticky 1-2 tho; however, it isn't really in the best interests of the clutch.

they didn't say that there was anything wrong at all :huh:

i should have asked them but i never expected the problem to be solved this way <_<

i might let danthuyer drive it and see if he can explain it better coz sometimes i'm not too articulate on explaining somethings. there is a way to shift to getting around the sticky 1-2 tho; however, it isn't really in the best interests of the clutch.

Care to share with us Shaohaok or would you reccomend i PM you and Danthuyer? The clutch rings a bell here cos i once dragged someone and i did a decent launch and after that drag my shifter loosened up a lot! Also there was once i tried slipping the clutch to land in Lift and after that try the shifter was again smooth but only for a little while.

Zee