Track day at Wakefield 05/08/2004

A 1min21 ain't bad at all, a Wheels mag in 1999 tetsted a Celica and they ran a 1min21 and that's a pro driving it.  The DC2 Type-R in that comparo did a 1min18, Civic Vti-R 1min23, Pug Gti 1min23, Pulsar SSS 1min24, Proton Satria Gti 1min24.  Tuned turbo cars and prestige cars are out of our leaque, maybe a stock WRX and Type-R would be fun to run against.

How did you go against the S2000 T-sport?   

A Stivo did 1min21 yesterday at Wakefield and the fastest car was an Sti that did 1min17.  Too bad we couldn't get actual lap times today but the day was great and i can now pinpoint the Sportivo's weaknesses and work on improving the car :)

Zee

Nah that was only one of the sessions... the wrx did 1:09... it had full racing slicks on... AMG E55 did 1:12

Howd i go against the s2000? well the driver was an old guy... so yeh he wasnt going that hard... he only got fastest 1:22 i think... so yeh... im sure that car can do 1:16-1:17 easy... really a pro did 1:21 in a celica? hahaha mad... next trackday i gotta aim for 1:20 and beat that pro :P

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad about the S2000, how was its straight line speed though?

Its true they only managed a 1min21 for the Celica but said it had heaps of wheel spin and the shifter was "Arthritically Slow" and missed shift often! That's why the TypeR had a 3sec advantage. Try to hit 1min18 next time and you will be in the TypeR's leaque! That's my aim anyway, but not with the stock suspension :P

A 1min21 ain't bad at all, a Wheels mag in 1999 tetsted a Celica and they ran a 1min21 and that's a pro driving it.  The DC2 Type-R in that comparo did a 1min18, Civic Vti-R 1min23, Pug Gti 1min23, Pulsar SSS 1min24, Proton Satria Gti 1min24.  Tuned turbo cars and prestige cars are out of our leaque, maybe a stock WRX and Type-R would be fun to run against.

A Stivo did 1min21 yesterday at Wakefield and the fastest car was an Sti that did 1min17.  Too bad we couldn't get actual lap times today but the day was great and i can now pinpoint the Sportivo's weaknesses and work on improving the car :)

Zee

Nah that was only one of the sessions... the wrx did 1:09... it had full racing slicks on... AMG E55 did 1:12

Howd i go against the s2000? well the driver was an old guy... so yeh he wasnt going that hard... he only got fastest 1:22 i think... so yeh... im sure that car can do 1:16-1:17 easy... really a pro did 1:21 in a celica? hahaha mad... next trackday i gotta aim for 1:20 and beat that pro :P

• 3 months later...

Zee

Hi there,

Those times sound a bit off for the respective cars.

I can't remember the exact issue, but I recall a similar test with different cars where they used the longer chicaned circuit at wakefield.

The chicane is located on the uphill stretch after turn 1.

Perhaps this explained the slower times?

Some times i know of from friends and what not include:

Dc2 Integra type R: 1:12.X completely stock- bridgestone re540s.

S2000: 1:09.X unsure as to what mods, but it was still n/a and not a race car.

civic vti-r: stock 1:19.X on old semislicks

Mx5: NB 1.8 1:15.xx stock on street tyres.

The quickest time i have managed on my

stock corolla levin wagon is high 1:18 on street tyres.

Although its more like consistent 1:19/20's after that flying lap because the street tyres sure take a beating.

If i attack the ripple strips a bit more, should be able to squeeze in a low 1:18/17 lap!!!

here's to dreamin'.

Edited by Zr240

Zee

Hi there,

Those times sound a bit off for the respective cars.

I can't remember the exact issue, but I recall a similar test with different cars where they used the longer chicaned circuit at wakefield.

The chicane is located on the uphill stretch after turn 1.

Perhaps this explained the slower times?

Some times i know of from friends and what not include:

Dc2 Integra type R: 1:12.X completely stock- bridgestone re540s.

S2000: 1:09.X unsure as to what mods, but it was still n/a and not a race car.

civic vti-r: stock 1:19.X on old semislicks

Mx5: NB 1.8 1:15.xx stock on street tyres.

The quickest time i have managed on my

stock corolla levin wagon is high 1:18 on street tyres.

Although its more like consistent 1:19/20's after that flying lap because the street tyres sure take a beating.

If i attack the ripple strips a bit more, should be able to squeeze in a low 1:18/17 lap!!!

here's to dreamin'.

That could be right Vincent cos i managed a 1min18 at the meetup you were there, with pretty tentative driving. I had a crack at 1min16 or 17s but unfortunately my car surged due to low fuel on the quicker laps. It only had a few suspension mods and everything else was stock so i reckon with a few more practice sessions i can get 1min17s easy especially now with the TRD CAI and hopefully i get the gearshifting issue rectified. But Wakefled is still a tough track for the Stivo and Celica with quite a lot of wheel spin in the chicane and when coming onto the straight losing a lot of time.