Kilawatts

hey all, my friend told me that .. you kn ow when you view the specs of a car right, and they tell you the kilowatts for the car, i heard that the kilowatts they mention is not really the kilowatts ATW.. it was measured from the flywheel of the car .. is that true pplz ??

thanks antho

hey all, my friend told me that .. you kn ow when you view the specs of a car right, and they tell you the kilowatts for the car, i heard that the kilowatts they mention is not really the kilowatts ATW.. it was measured from the flywheel of the car .. is that true pplz ??

thanks antho

Yep, the power you see on the spec sheet is measured at the flywheel, often with no accessories (such as AC pumps, alternator etc) connected to drain power away. The biggest drop comes from the gearbox/final drive, which means power ATW is usually around 20% less than power ATF

yep thats right mate..

because at the flywheel, you're measuring exactly what the engine is putting out, and so the figures look higher.

when you start measuring at the wheels (where it really counts to us car nerds), you get drivetrain loss, and the figure will always be lower...

so car manufacturers put the kW at the flywheel to make themselves look better..

take the rolla for example... a 1zz-fe corolla is 100kw (or 93kW for the detuned ones) in all the ads, but when you put it on the dyno, its only 85kw-ish stock at the wheels...

take the rolla for example... a 1zz-fe corolla is 100kw (or 93kW for the detuned ones) in all the ads, but when you put it on the dyno, its only 85kw-ish stock at the wheels...

id say more around 75kw atw on average. 15% deduction from the flywheel for at the wheel atw power doesn't seem right.

So.. what would be the KW atw for a STOCK stivo pre-facelift/facelift?

103-105 kws atw

though they have been seen as high as 115... :unsure::unsure::unsure::whistling::toast:

yeah depending on weather and dyno set up :lol:

us melb rollas got 103-105

u guys up there are getting like 110 :(

b*stards :D

hmmm that really sums me up ...so any suggestions on to what modifications that i could do to my 05 ACCENT AUTO .... Lol (gotta clarify that) to raise it to 100 ATW :P ??? i was going to do a dyno for my car just to get a start up reading then when i do do modifications then i can see how much power i have gained :P ...

so yeh ... n e suggestions on power gains .. loL

thanks crew !!

anthony

so any suggestions on to what modifications that i could do to my 05 ACCENT AUTO .... Lol

Hey Anthony,

Maybe a 2ZZ upgrade? HAHAHAHA

In all seriousness, adding a Cold Air & decent cat-back will certainly give you a few extra kW's. Some other 1ZZ owners like MAP81 have done other things like headers and e-Manage to get extra protons and neutrons as well, just depends on how much you wanna spend.

so any suggestions on to what modifications that i could do to my 05 ACCENT AUTO .... Lol

Hey Anthony,

Maybe a 2ZZ upgrade? HAHAHAHA

In all seriousness, adding a Cold Air & decent cat-back will certainly give you a few extra kW's. Some other 1ZZ owners like MAP81 have done other things like headers and e-Manage to get extra protons and neutrons as well, just depends on how much you wanna spend.

hAHa well im thinking i mite save up for about a yr or mid yr to gather up a **** load of money from work and like .. i wanna do everything all in the one go.. so yeh .. :P money wont b a problem by then .. but by that time i was going to do a full exhaust system as a starters. so yeh

haha and btw ... a 2zz upgrade .. isnt that a manual tho or did u mean change my whole car all together LOl

thnaks

though they have been seen as high as 115... :unsure::unsure::unsure::whistling::toast:

yeah depending on weather and dyno set up :lol:

us melb rollas got 103-105

u guys up there are getting like 110 :(

b*stards :D

Dyno setup should not be an issue (to a factor of 10kw at least) if it is a reputable tuning shop running Dyno Dynamics in Shoot Out mode.

hmmm that really sums me up ...so any suggestions on to what modifications that i could do to my 05 ACCENT AUTO .... Lol (gotta clarify that) to raise it to 100 ATW :P ??? i was going to do a dyno for my car just to get a start up reading then when i do do modifications then i can see how much power i have gained :P ...

so yeh ... n e suggestions on power gains .. loL

thanks crew !!

anthony

Take a look at YDOIT4's car, he has done the works as far as what can be done simply and he has reached 97kw and cost him near $5-$6000 (rough estimate). To get any higher you would need to get modified cams as well if you don't want to go turbo or supercharger.